Issue with choke lever - Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 3-19-2017, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 3
 
Issue with choke lever

Hey Everyone,

Thinking of getting a friends bike really cheap but I know it has an issue with the choke lever not working to get the bike warmed up. I'm new to bikes and just did a little research. Could this be the cable that needs to be replaced? Or something inside the carb itself or is this too general to really troubleshoot?
aaguilar3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 3-20-2017, 1:10 AM
Senior Member
 
one_evil_monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Carolina, US
Posts: 10,848
  
Garage
It's called an enricher... but it could be a few things.
Has the bike been sitting for any period of more than a week or so?
Was a stabilizer like Stabil 360 added to the fuel?

If yes to 1st part and no to 2nd part then it's possible the pilot circuits in carbs have become clogged.
Carbs will need to be removed and PROPERLY cleaned.

It could be the cable itself has broken or become unattatched.
Is there any tension when moving the lever? There should be a slight bit.
If not then the tank needs to come off and have a look at the carb set to see if the cable is attached to the enricher valve near top edges of carb body... move the lever and you should see the enrichers and slide moving.

If you need any carb service and are uncomfortable tackling them yourself, contact member Ducatiman.

O_E_M
one_evil_monkey is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 3-20-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 3
 
Thanks for such a detailed response. Yes the bike has been sitting for about 1yr or so. I would say no to the second question. We got it started the other day though with just some throttle use. I will definitely check to see if the cable has tension and is actually moving the enrichers. If not I'll look into taking off the carb. Where is Ducati man located?


Quote:
Originally Posted by one_evil_monkey View Post
It's called an enricher... but it could be a few things.
Has the bike been sitting for any period of more than a week or so?
Was a stabilizer like Stabil 360 added to the fuel?

If yes to 1st part and no to 2nd part then it's possible the pilot circuits in carbs have become clogged.
Carbs will need to be removed and PROPERLY cleaned.

It could be the cable itself has broken or become unattatched.
Is there any tension when moving the lever? There should be a slight bit.
If not then the tank needs to come off and have a look at the carb set to see if the cable is attached to the enricher valve near top edges of carb body... move the lever and you should see the enrichers and slide moving.

If you need any carb service and are uncomfortable tackling them yourself, contact member Ducatiman.

O_E_M
aaguilar3 is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 3-20-2017, 12:30 PM
Senior Member
 
one_evil_monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Carolina, US
Posts: 10,848
  
Garage
NP

Yeah, I'd 100% recommend the carbs come off and be properly cleaned.
They're going to need it.
Regardless if it fires up now or not. You're going to run into issues sooner than later because of the bike sitting.

@ducatiman is on Long Island, NY.
If he chimes in he'll send you the contact info.
I handle my own stuff and stuff for others locally but if I ever needed someone to handle some carb work for me, he'd be it.

O_E_M
one_evil_monkey is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 3-20-2017, 12:35 PM
Ex-500.com Vendor
 
ducatiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 12,024
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaguilar3 View Post
Thanks for such a detailed response. Yes the bike has been sitting for about 1yr or so. I would say no to the second question. We got it started the other day though with just some throttle use. I will definitely check to see if the cable has tension and is actually moving the enrichers. If not I'll look into taking off the carb. Where is Ducati man located?
I'll send a PM (you'll be able to view, but not respond) with alternate contact info

Thanks for mention, OEM

Custom Carb Service

**Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S. Thompson**
ducatiman is online now  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 3-20-2017, 12:44 PM
Senior Member
 
one_evil_monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Carolina, US
Posts: 10,848
  
Garage
You're welcome, Duc

O_E_M
one_evil_monkey is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 3-20-2017, 1:48 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 3
 
Ok I will attempt to do that. I found a guide on here so I'll give it a go if I get the bike. Should be deciding this week. Oh he's in NY? Yeah, probably won't work then since I'm in California. Thanks for the referral though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_evil_monkey View Post
NP

Yeah, I'd 100% recommend the carbs come off and be properly cleaned.
They're going to need it.
Regardless if it fires up now or not. You're going to run into issues sooner than later because of the bike sitting.

@ducatiman is on Long Island, NY.
If he chimes in he'll send you the contact info.
I handle my own stuff and stuff for others locally but if I ever needed someone to handle some carb work for me, he'd be it.

O_E_M
aaguilar3 is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 3-20-2017, 2:00 PM
Ex-500.com Vendor
 
ducatiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 12,024
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaguilar3 View Post
Ok I will attempt to do that. I found a guide on here so I'll give it a go if I get the bike. Should be deciding this week. Oh he's in NY? Yeah, probably won't work then since I'm in California. Thanks for the referral though.
Routinely use USPS, distance not an impediment...$13 bucks to ship.

Custom Carb Service

**Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S. Thompson**
ducatiman is online now  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 3-20-2017, 8:40 PM
Senior Member
 
one_evil_monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Carolina, US
Posts: 10,848
  
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaguilar3 View Post
Ok I will attempt to do that. I found a guide on here so I'll give it a go if I get the bike. Should be deciding this week. Oh he's in NY? Yeah, probably won't work then since I'm in California. Thanks for the referral though.
Oh no.... he handles stuff from all over the CONUS.

Personally carbs are a non issue for me, but if you have any doubts about handling it or setting them up properly...
Seriously let him fix you up.
If I didn't do my own and other people's carbs locally, he'd be who I'd use with no question.
He's got some good prices and some top notch work.

O_E_M
one_evil_monkey is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome