Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Carb sync and Valves adjustment?

17K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  floridaex500 
#1 ·
Carb sync and Valves adjustment?

I would like to hear from people who do carburetors synchronization and valves adjustment on the EX500/500R by themselve.

Carb sync:
How often do you do it?
How badly out of sync were the carbs before you made the adjustment?
Can you feel/measure the improvement (performance, fuel econony) after the synchronization?
Which vacuumm gauge (make/model) do you use? Would you recommend it?

Valves adjustment:
How often?
How badly out of spec were the valves before the adjustment?
Which valves were more out of spec? Input or exhaust?
Can you feel/measure the improvement (performance, fuel economy, noise) after the adjustment?

Thank you in advance.

#2 ·
I adjust the valves every 7000 miles. exhaust valves are usually too tight and need to be loosened. maybe a intake valve needs a slight adjustment. after the clearances are set the engine runs noisier. On my 1990 when i first did a valve job i noticed an improvement in starting and better performance, it was long overdue for probably its first valve adjustment.(bought it used) the next 2 OR 3 valve adjustments were done as scheduled just to keep the engine running in top condition.

as for carb synching just synched the 90 after the valve adjustment. it wasnt off much but it made the engine run smoother. my new 07 checked it after i adjusted the pilots and valve adjustment. it was barely off. felt a little smoother. for carb sych tool I used something similar:
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0411/

#3 ·
I did the carb sync after my valve adjustment, future ones will be in accordance to the maintenance schedule.
I had to turn the screw to the right so many times i was almost convinced i had the wrong scew, safe to say they were horrible out of sync
along with the valve adjustment i can hear a difference in the engine and feel a difference in the power.
I made the 2 glass bottle meter from the kawasaki ninja 250 wiki, was very easy to make and worked perfectly.

Did the valve adjustment at 16k, schedule said it needed to be done at 15k
Im assuming bad, all 4 were tight and i did not measure to see where they were
Unknown
Bike sounds more full and louder, has overall more power and idles rock steady now.

#5 ·
Exhaust valves tend to tighten up best if left at max within spec opening intakes best left at tightst within spec opening

Carb synch done with motion pro synch tool

Do full service on any used bike just obtained that way you start at the heart and work outward. All used exs I ever owned had exhaust valves out of spec. Makes me wonder how many more like that are out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.