Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to modify a 2nd Gen flywheel for a 1st gen bike (by FOG)

45K views 145 replies 43 participants last post by  fog 
#1 ·
Compliments of FOG:

See attachment!

Attachments

#133 ·
Hi all I've carried out this mod on my gpz500 s Al good she starts and kinda runs at the moment I've got 5w-30 (API SN) oil in her I got it free and was using it to flush the engine and to test the paper gasket, I'm not wanting to totally waste a few litres of 10w-40. New filter and correct oil getting bought next week.

Only thing is she's heating up quite quickly and the choke needs to be on slightly to hold her off idle or oil light comes on and she stalls. So with that I assume that, correct me if I'm wrong.

A) the thin oil is causing the oil light to come on which is making her cutout (oil pressure switch killing the engine for safety reasons??).

B) the thinner oil not displacing the heat effectively enough adding the the build up of heat.

Cheers for the help 👍

#135 ·
I know it's not ideal but as long as I keep an eye on the heat the oil will be fine. if I took a car to colder climates I would need to change to 5w-40 as 10w-40 would thicken and not remove the heat effectively enough. On this theory I think the oil ain't quite thick enough to take all the heat with it causing the water to warm causing the thermostat to rise.

#136 ·
^ I get that, even if everything else is up to par on the bike, 5w-30 is just going to burn up. If you want to go cheap, you should at least go 10w-40 cheap. :wink2:

#138 ·
I assume you have done the gen 2 flywheel mod because you have a gen 1 that shed and mangled the the magnets on the old flywheel. if this is right you should have made sure all the little bits were removed while it was stripped down even down to removing the sump to find them all. I think your issue is bits of magnet floating around the engine where they shouldn't be it's not just an oil problem. although I would dump that asap and fill with 10/40 plus new filter. its easy to rush a job when you want the bike back on the road but you have to think ahead. and consider what if!!. you may be lucky and an oil and filter change do the trick but be prepared to be back to square one if it doesn't.

Jack.

#139 ·
Yeah jack I did the mod your right you just want to throw it together and get out but in resisting it urge like I say the 5w40 was just a flush that's all I'll get the new oil and filter and take the sump off I doubt there will be much in there though as there wasn't much in the flywheel housing after speaking to the previous owner we think it's been running with a magnet missing then with me she threw a part of a magnet and one magnet misaligned. So new correct oil and filter with more TLC that's the plan

#140 ·
yeah. just make sure it right. quite often a problem arises. you fix the issue then find you have other problems and cannot be certain that the new issues are down to the old problem or what you did to sort the old problem or something new completely. clean out the cases change the oil and filter. with a bit of luck this should be enough. however if the new problem persists you may have to delve a little deeper.

Jack.

#143 · (Edited)
Seen this question came up in this thread already, but no answer yet.

I bought a flywheel of the Kawasaki ER5 1999 and it is larger than a flywheel of my GPZ500S 1993. It's both taller and wider in diameter. I haven't done any modification to it yet, as it won't fit anyway. Is the cover from ER5 99 is larger/deeper to fit the larger flywheel? Should I try getting a cover of the same bike or try to find a 2nd gen flywheel of GPZ500S?

Thank you.

Attachments

#144 ·
001-001 Ha! I'm an expert machinist and I would not be able to guarantee and such accuracy. move the decimal point right 1 place and your about right 0.01- 0.02 This level os error will be fine. consider the offset key is a 5 deg change = about .220along the periphery

FOG

#145 ·
Hello, I am new to forums, have a 1994 vulcan 500. I appreciate your how to and looks within my capability. My question is about the flywheel purchase off ebay. I see many flywheels for 1500 vulcans and such. Very few that come up when I put in "500." Are there other engine size vulcans that can use the flywheel interchangeably? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Im excited to order one and try to get this wrapped up as it has caused me huge confusion since last fall until I finally pulled the cover yesterday and realized the magnets broke. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.