Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good gloves for short fingers  (Read 5227 times)
klono

Love my Honda car so a bike was a logical choice.

« on: May 30, 2009, 02:38:53 PM »

I have a problem with my short fingers and glove fit. Right now I use some Teknic gauntlet gloves and they still are a little long for my fingers. The problem is they are size small and they cut off some blood flow below my thumb and around my wrist. My right hand falls asleep quite a bit b/c of this.

Does anyone else have this problem? Did you just buy a size larger glove and deal with the extra long finger length of the gloves? I tried on the next size up of these same gloves and the fingers hit the levers on the bike I tested them on. The gloves were only 40 bucks so maybe a better made glove in a small wouldn't dig into my hands as much.

Thanks for any feedback. I'd rather not go spend over 100 bucks on a really nice set of small gloves that fit my fingers just to have this same problem with blood flow. But if a really high quality glove will spare me of this then I'm all for it.

\\\\\\\'07 Ninja 500R - sold and missed - March \\\\\\\'07 to April \\\\\\\'09<br />\\\'08 CBR 600 RR - April \\\'09 till forever<br />Quote stolen from Jrocket: \\\"People would drive a lot safer if we removed their airbags and replaced them with a 10 inch razor sharp spike\\\"
EX-500.com
Advertisement
NinjaChic

rawwr. im fierce!

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 03:18:06 PM »

i just have small hands and found icon fit the best for me.. ill have to ask the man, he has like bear paws. huge hands, short fingers.

ill ask him tonight and get back to you

yeah. im just that awesome.

work is awesome.. check it out shophde.com  DO IT!
will25u

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 03:29:13 PM »

+1 on the icon gloves.

I have a pair of icon gloves and also a pair of fieldsheer gauntlet style gloves.

They are both size small but the icon fits just perfect with no extra finger room.

The Fieldsheer gloves have about 1/3" extra room but its not that bad and I've learned to deal with it.

2006 Ninja 500r
klono

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 04:36:39 PM »

Do the Icon's have anything inside the glove which can dig into your hand? Mine leave marks along my thumb and at the wrist area but they don't FEEL really tight when I put them on. I think I'm done with low quality gloves even though my current ones seem like they would do well in a slide. This is just becoming painful.  Undecided

\\\\\\\'07 Ninja 500R - sold and missed - March \\\\\\\'07 to April \\\\\\\'09<br />\\\'08 CBR 600 RR - April \\\'09 till forever<br />Quote stolen from Jrocket: \\\"People would drive a lot safer if we removed their airbags and replaced them with a 10 inch razor sharp spike\\\"
triple88a
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 04:50:15 PM »

you want the gloves to be a bit longer, short gloves are pretty nasty when their threads bunch up under your nails

The silver arrow
'97 EX500, Muzzy full 2-1 exhaust, flush turn signals, "Uni" foam filter.
Sold Sad
stormcat
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 04:53:42 PM »

I know you've already read my review of the A* GP+ gloves.  Smiley In short, Icon suck.  Tongue They wear quickly, and the nylon thread they use is irritating. I'd try some A* gloves if I were you. My b/f has wide hands and short fingers, and he wears Joe Rocket gauntlets. Might want to look into those, too. They've lasted him years with no sign of wear, either.

RE: too tight around the wrists. Could it be possible the cuffs of your jacket are too wide to accommodate gauntlet-style gloves? That would explain your wrists/hands going numb and painful. I had that problem and ended up buying a new jacket to compensate. *sigh*
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 04:55:51 PM by stormcat » Logged
Pogo
Banned
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 04:55:27 PM »

Perhaps try some regular riding gloves instead of gauntlets or armored, which seem bulkier than regular gloves.
klono

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 05:43:51 PM »

I like the gauntlet style best by far. Much more overall abrasion protection. They fit fine over my leather jacket sleeves. I wore my old leather/mesh non gauntlet gloves and no numb hand so I'm pretty sure at this point it's just my gloves.

I'm thinking that whatever size I go with I can adjust to it as long as it's not painful. I'll just go with a higher quality glove that doesn't dig into my hands when I ride. Thanks for the input everyone. Ride safe!

triple88a
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 09:41:15 PM »

you can be cool and not wear gloves and a jacket then u wont have any problems at all Roll Eyes

Oooops wrong forum, thought it was the harley forum  Grin

The silver arrow
Sold Sad
roxynoodle
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 06:24:28 AM »

Don't take offense, but maybe women's gloves would fit you better.  I am the opposite and have to wear men's gloves.  I must have a short pinkie finger though.  Gloves fit my hand great and the other 3 fingers, but the pinkie in the gloves is always a little long.
Pogo
Banned
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 11:51:27 AM »

Yeah it's not like the gloves have a big "THESE ARE FOR WOMEN" stitching on the palm.
triple88a
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 11:59:04 AM »

Arent women gloves thin and long?  I have pretty wide hands and somewhat short fingers and my alpinestars s-mx air gloves fit me okay.. fingers are a little short for my fingers.  They bunch up under my nails.  They might be good for you though i'd say give them a look next time you go to the store.

The silver arrow
Sold Sad
roxynoodle
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 06:31:24 AM »

Arent women gloves thin and long?  I have pretty wide hands and somewhat short fingers and my alpinestars s-mx air gloves fit me okay.. fingers are a little short for my fingers.  They bunch up under my nails.  They might be good for you though i'd say give them a look next time you go to the store.

They do seem to be for thinner hands, which I don't have, but have shorter fingers then men's gloves do.
NinjaChic

rawwr. im fierce!

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 12:06:41 AM »

klono.. i keep forgeting to ask. ughh. but the womens glove thing.. i know he has bought womens gloves in the past.

as for the comment about icon gloves. ive had these three years now and no problems.

just goto the store and keep trying gloves on. thats what i did. in fact i think i went to a few places.
i dont know the model but theyre all leather... some kiddie model or version.

yeah. im just that awesome.

work is awesome.. check it out shophde.com  DO IT!
roxynoodle
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 08:10:36 AM »

Yeah, when I bought my bike, I just started trying on all the gloves they had until I found a pair I was happy with.  First, I went through all the XL women's gloves and none fit my hand without being too tight.  Then I started going through the men's gloves and found L in men's was a much better fit for me.  Luckily, all the gloves I've bought online have been pretty good.  My new waterproof Speed and Strength ones are a little tight but they will probably break in.  I don't know why I have such big hands and feet.  You would think I was 6 feet tall or something based on those alone and I'm a whole 5'4".  There are plenty of women's gloves out there that aren't pink or baby blue.  I would just go to a stealership and just try on a bunch of different ones until you find what works best for you.  You can always then order them online if the price is better.
klono

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 07:12:55 PM »

Stores around here really have a crap selection as far as their glove stock goes. I haven't tried the Harley shop yet but I've actually heard they have some of the best gear. And this is coming from Harley riders and non Harley riders as well. This weekend I'll actually go to my first Harley dealership...lol. Hey, the Buell sportbikes are a semi trend around here right now so maybe the gear thing is not bs.

triple88a
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 07:20:49 PM »

Oh thats completely true, gear thats made to look good ONLY is much more comfortable than gear thats made to actually help. Wink

The silver arrow
Sold Sad
klono

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 07:01:42 PM »

Well, I'm just going to order a good pair of Alpinestars since I'm extremely impressed with my Alpy boots. I've been back from a short ride for 45 minutes now and still have indentions down both thumbs from my cheapie gloves. These things has to goh!

bluremi

2008 FZ6

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2009, 08:48:13 AM »

These are extremely good gloves, and they are specifically made for people with short fingers: http://www.newenough.com/gloves/street_or_racing_gauntlet/held/nero_short_long_finger_motorcycle_gloves.html

The only downside is that they run about $150. Gloves come right behind Helmet on my list of things for which I'll shell out for better quality and protection, so IMO you can't go wrong with a pair of Held gloves made specifically for your hand type regardless of the price, because you know they'll hold up for years and through several crashes.
Monkey the Boy

Have fun driving your box with wheels on it.......

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2009, 01:44:03 PM »

I'm new here so don't take my word for it but it SEEMS like these gloves are for people with short fingers, like myself. I have both kinda thin hands and short fingers.
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=5000&L2=2&L3=116&L4=117&item=PAR_3301-0124_G

Hope I helped.

If a million people believe in a dumb idea it's still a dumb idea.
dragknee
Wiki Admin
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 02:40:18 PM »

i just wore through my pair of icon hooligan gloves that ive had for about three or four years.

in contrast to my two pairs of joe rocket gloves with lasted about 6 months each. the second pair i bought, the stitching broke around the palm like 4 days after i bought em Roll Eyes

hit em with the sewing machine, and they have not come apart since. the fingers wore through though.
bluremi

2008 FZ6

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2009, 07:10:18 AM »

i just wore through my pair of icon hooligan gloves that ive had for about three or four years.

in contrast to my two pairs of joe rocket gloves with lasted about 6 months each. the second pair i bought, the stitching broke around the palm like 4 days after i bought em Roll Eyes

hit em with the sewing machine, and they have not come apart since. the fingers wore through though.

My Joe Rocket gloves came apart at the palm last week. I think it's safe to say JR makes shitty gloves.
ratchet
Global Moderator
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2009, 09:07:50 AM »

I own three pairs of JR gloves.... never had any issues with any of them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: