Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
+  Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R
|-+  Forums» Gear & Apparel» Getting leather jacket wet?
Username:
Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting leather jacket wet?  (Read 5743 times)
Chris Pye

« on: October 12, 2010, 10:12:57 AM »

So i just purchased a really nice Icon Accelerant jacket over the weekend and today i rode to school in a light drizzle. So when i got to school the jacket was wet and i was worried about it being that leather and water don't do well together. I looked the jacket up online and it isn't waterproof and they mentioned that if it gets wet to apply some sort of leather conditioner to keep the leather from ruining.

So I was wondering what my possible courses of action are;
-is it not as big of a deal as they make it out to be and i can continue to get it wet?
-Should i get this leather conditioner and apply it any time it gets wet?
-Is there a waterproofing chemical that is appropriate to apply (this is the one i'm leaning toward as i'd like to continue to be able to wear it in the rain if needed, i know older hiking boots had some sort of water proof application on them)
-Or do i have to put the leather jacket in the closet and wear my textile?

I'm worried about my new jacket, don't want to ruin it  Undecided

Bodhi, this is your wake-up call man. I am an F, B, I, Agent!
EX-500.com
Advertisement
stormcat
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 10:38:36 AM »

No worries. Motorcycle leathers have already been treated and will endure many, many torrential downpours. Just let it dry, or wear it wet. Doesn't matter either way. No treatment necessary.
Chris Pye

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 10:44:56 AM »

No worries. Motorcycle leathers have already been treated and will endure many, many torrential downpours. Just let it dry, or wear it wet. Doesn't matter either way. No treatment necessary.

Thanks  Smiley

stormcat
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 10:52:08 AM »

Btw, getting caught in a downpour is very effective in cleaning off embedding bug guts out of leathers! I'm not kidding. It does a fantastic job.
Chris Pye

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 11:15:38 AM »

Haha, i'll keep that in mind when i massacre a swarm next time

Queequeg

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 11:42:30 AM »

Don't dry the wet leather jacket in heat -- like, over a radiator.

I have a perforated white leather jacket, which shows dirt very well. So I researched cleaning and conditioning. The consensus seemed to be that, when you need to clean and condition motorcycle leathers, Lexol is the brand to use.

Lexol makes a couple of formulas for conditioning the kind of leather in a motorcycle jacket. The formula to use on light-colored leather (and, as far as I know, dark colored leather, too) is Lexol nf. The company makes cleaning wipes for leather, too -- they pop out of a plastic can, just like diaper wipes do.

I bought both last week. So far, I've used only the cleaning wipes and not the conditioner. The brand-new Dainese jacket doesn't seem to need it, and probably won't for a long time.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 11:45:12 AM by Queequeg » Logged

2009 Versys
Formerly owner of a 2004 Ninja 500
ZedX1400
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 11:44:36 AM »

It's leather.... leather shoes and boots get wet all the time right?  They don't disintegrate off your feet.

Cows stand in the rain too.... they don't melt.

epThorn

'Bibant, quoniam esse nolunt'

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 12:04:32 PM »

It's leather.... leather shoes and boots get wet all the time right?  They don't disintegrate off your feet.

They don't disintegrate, but that doesn't mean there's no damage. Leather jackets can get somewhat washed out (color-wise) and I've had one long-worn jacket that seems to have been weakened and ended up getting ripped easily.

but I think motorcycle leather is thick, hard, and treated enough that it would take a lot of storms to do much. I generally avoid wearing my leather jacket in downpours, but it's mostly because my textile jacket is brighter.

06 EX500, Red

PMs sent are subject to publication and ridicule, especially if they are continuing a stupid argument. Seriously, learn the difference between "reply," "quote," and "PM".
House_of_Dexter

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 12:25:40 PM »

I use Saddle Soap to clean it...and Mink Oil to condition it...

2004 Honda CRF230F (Street Legal)
2003 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000
Wrecked-2000 Triumph Thunderbird Sport(885 Triple)-Wrecked on the Dragon
Sold 2007 Ex-500 Metallic Titanium-Still running with 30,000+ miles
and Yes I'm ATGATT even at 105F
O1024BME
dragknee
Wiki Admin
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 04:06:09 PM »

leather can get wet. its just skin. skin gets wet all the time.

suede on the other hand, you do not want to get wet.
epThorn

'Bibant, quoniam esse nolunt'

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 08:44:21 PM »

leather can get wet. its just skin. skin gets wet all the time.

"skin" has a better time of maintaining itself when its connected to a living body feeding it nutrients for repair and maintenance. The "cows get wet" idea also doesn't really work, because live critters secrete oils and enzymes that give skin properties it doesn't have when said critter goes belly up. The problem I could see with wet leather is that it could take a long time to dry, so it could get some stuff growing or get faded.

but most garment or motorcycle leather is treated. Even if it weren't well treated, it takes the leather awhile to really get wet (same reason it takes awhile to get dry!)

06 EX500, Red

PMs sent are subject to publication and ridicule, especially if they are continuing a stupid argument. Seriously, learn the difference between "reply," "quote," and "PM".
moped

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 01:12:55 AM »

I'm not sure how true this is but the "Save your hide guide" says leather can loose 20% of it's strength when it gets wet. Just for the sake of comfort and convience get some motorcycle rain gear to wear over it.

The Villain

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 01:01:48 PM »

I'm not sure how true this is but the "Save your hide guide" says leather can loose 20% of it's strength when it gets wet.

This is utter bullshit.

From a maker of very high-end custom racing leathers...."Leather loves water."

He recommends the first time wearing one of his suits to pour water all over yourself then go for a ride to let it dry naturally around your 'on-the-bike' posture.

The reason consumer leather goods should be kept away from water has to do with the aforementioned color fading from crappy inexpensive dye jobs.  Quality motorcycle leather is treated to quality dye and can withstand water.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: