Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
+  Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R
|-+  Forums» Engine» Gas coming out of exhaust manifold
Username:
Password:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gas coming out of exhaust manifold  (Read 4814 times)
neo666

« on: December 14, 2010, 01:59:10 PM »

I tried to start my 92 500 ex on a cold morning and gas was coming out the front exhaust  manifold and I let it sit.I caught the bike on a good day and rode it about 40 Min's it rode OK until it started to get sluggish and idle was low so I went home.when I tried to start it again there it was gas coming out manifold. i corrected the throttle and stop cables which were bad off but of course still floods out.From reading a little bit hear i see I need to check fuel level in floats and probably check or replace float.Can I clean that float bole without new parts or a partial dissemble and clean.where should I start.I only had this bike for a few Weeks its all I got.
EX-500.com
Advertisement
TwoTacoCombo

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 02:11:03 PM »

I tried to start my 92 500 ex on a cold morning and gas was coming out the front exhaust  manifold and I let it sit.I caught the bike on a good day and rode it about 40 Min's it rode OK until it started to get sluggish and idle was low so I went home.when I tried to start it again there it was gas coming out manifold. i corrected the throttle and stop cables which were bad off but of course still floods out.From reading a little bit hear i see I need to check fuel level in floats and probably check or replace float.Can I clean that float bole without new parts or a partial dissemble and clean.where should I start.I only had this bike for a few Weeks its all I got.

A munged-up float usually causes fuel to come out of the overflow hose. Do you have gas dripping on the grounds below your carbs?
neo666

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 02:21:58 PM »

Yes just little drips. The most is coming out the hole in the left side between cooling fins and manifold.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 03:19:25 PM by neo666 » Logged
TwoTacoCombo

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 02:31:49 PM »

Yes just little drips. The most is coming out the hole in the left side of the head under the spark plug and manifold.

The small round hole between the cooling fins on the left side of the engine block?
neo666

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 02:55:38 PM »

Yes Undecided
K-woppa
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 03:17:59 PM »

Yes Undecided

Are you sure it's gas? That hole is a drain for the spark plug well, so that any water that gets in there can drain out. If there is a persistent leak the usual cause is a leaking o-ring on one of the coolant tubes that go into the head. If so, that's a pretty easy fix.
neo666

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 03:25:36 PM »

Yes it is absolutely gas. If my gas tank was on it would drain empty,when I try to start it comes out manifold. do you think i should take carb off. O my gas tank has lots of rust in it. 
FloridaEX500
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 03:45:32 PM »

First of all pull the freaking tank and inspect the fuel lines and the bottom of tank
FOG
FOG
Post Whore Superstar

DO not send me PMs such messages will be dumped. E

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 04:34:13 PM »

Your tank is leaking and your about to blow up,  I'm supprised you haven't already.

FOG

I hate PMs if you want to contact me, find my email address.
toddlamp

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 05:04:40 PM »

Those petcocks will leak like a sonuva bitch.
FOG
FOG
Post Whore Superstar

DO not send me PMs such messages will be dumped. E

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 05:15:41 PM »

On a 92 it's very likely that a seam rotted out I have seen many such tanks due to water in the gas. The way the tank is made make a very narrow point all around the outer edge where it two pieces are welded together.

FOG

I hate PMs if you want to contact me, find my email address.
VICIOINA
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 06:28:05 PM »

Your tank is leaking and your about to blow up,  I'm supprised you haven't already.

FOG
Thats exactly what I was thinking.

\\\\\\\"Be advised, all of my instructions are personal experiences, and not necessarily correct or without errors. I reserve the right to be wrong!!\\\\\\\"
FloridaEX500
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 07:18:49 AM »

He says it only leaks when the engine is running or when he is trying to start it. Wouldn't that translate into a petcock or fuel line leak? If his tank was leaking wouldn't the petrol come out ALL the time?

You got to look at ALL the clues!

All you STMs boy
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 08:25:09 AM by FloridaEX500 » Logged
K-woppa
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 07:54:35 AM »

He says it only leaks when the engine is running. Wouldn't that translate into a petcock or fuel line leak? If his tank was leaking wouldn't the petrol come out ALL the time?
Yeah, he said this...
If my gas tank was on it would drain empty
... which would imply that it doesn't leak if the petcock is off. It sounds like the vacuum mechanism isn't working, and I'm guessing bits of the gas tank rust he mentioned are keeping the float needle from closing, and enough gas is getting in the cylinder that it gets pumped out when he tries to start it. But what's confusing is his description of where it's leaking. First off, it can't leak out the exhaust manifold because the engine doesn't have one. It shouldn't leak at the top of the header pipe unless there's a major exhaust leak there. And it shouldn't leak out the spark plug well drain hole unless there's a loose spark plug.
OP, Remove the gas tank, check the underside for leaks, check for loose spark plug, check to see if fuel runs out the petcock when you turn it on. It shouldn't unless vacuum is applied to the small hose.  If it does, you should rebuild the petcock. And, you should remove the float bowls and check for junk in there, remove the floats and needles, check the seating surface of the needles for damage. You can do this with the carbs on the engine. Better yet, remove them and do a complete carb cleaning. No need to buy any gaskets. Also, get that rust out of the tank. I think if you research the wiki you will find instructions on how to do all these things. Let us know what you find.
neo666

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 12:58:02 PM »

the gas tank is not on the bike .i use a container with an open end,but when i close that end the gas didn't leak .does the gas container have to be in a vacuum,it does not leak when bike is running but idle is low and it kills when i give a little gas. OK I'm going to take the carb out and set the pilets to 2 1\4 turns per carb and synk ,first im going to put tank back on an turn it on and see if it drains sitting and while I start .  PS im tryn fellas Undecided
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 01:35:13 PM by neo666 » Logged
toddlamp

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 01:42:33 PM »

the gas tank is not on the bike .i use a container with an open end,but when i close that end the gas didn't leak .does the gas container have to be in a vacuum,it does not leak when bike is running but idle is low and it kills when i give a little gas. OK I'm going to take the carb out and set the pilets to 2 1\4 turns per carb and synk ,first im going to put tank back on an turn it on and see if it drains sitting and while I start .  PS im tryn fellas Undecided

In my opinion you are going about this completely wrong.  If gasoline is pouring out of your bike I think it's pretty obvious, at least to most, that THAT is the place to start; not syncing the carbs.

First determine if it an external leak (e.g. damaged fuel tank, leaking petcock, etc).  If not than it's the carb.  You need to remove the carbs and rebuild them. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 01:44:12 PM by toddlamp » Logged
smith.p.sean
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 02:14:28 PM »

Vaccuum leak because your tank isnt on and you didnt plug the port on the carbs.  This is a simple petcock/ float failure.

Put the tank back on, renew replace fuel lines.  If its still leaking inspect the petcock and find the leak.  Dont touch your carbs yet.  Find and fix the gas leak and then assess running.

Kids give me the urge to buy more condoms.
Sicko Smiley
neo666

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 12:54:33 PM »

I was checking the left spark plug to see the spark and gas glopped out of the spark plug hole into my mouth and face;i got lucky again.
     I went straight to taking carb out, there was no left pilot screw,spring or washer.There was a little bit off fine rust build up in the corners of float bowl and near drain hole but float look like it sat well on an angle. I didn't mess with diaphragm yet because one screw was rung out at the top.
     I don't know if a missing pilot on the right side would make the fuel leak from the left side or if the gas is supposed to glop like that it didn't before but that may be the rust doing that to the jets. P.s I'm thinking I was mistaking about the gas coming out the manefold it must have trailed from somewhere else but it did come from hole by fin fan.
toddlamp

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 02:27:25 PM »

I was checking the left spark plug to see the spark and gas glopped out of the spark plug hole into my mouth and face;i got lucky again.
     I went straight to taking carb out, there was no left pilot screw,spring or washer.There was a little bit off fine rust build up in the corners of float bowl and near drain hole but float look like it sat well on an angle. I didn't mess with diaphragm yet because one screw was rung out at the top.
     I don't know if a missing pilot on the right side would make the fuel leak from the left side or if the gas is supposed to glop like that it didn't before but that may be the rust doing that to the jets. P.s I'm thinking I was mistaking about the gas coming out the manefold it must have trailed from somewhere else but it did come from hole by fin fan.

Gas goes:

Tank -> petcock (on/off/res + diaphragm) -> fuel line -> carb entry hole -> past float valve -> float bowl

I don't think that any pilots would cause fuel leakage since the fuel goes right into the float bowl.  If the level gets too high the floats raise and the float valve SHOULD seal off the access hole.
smith.p.sean
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 03:10:47 PM »

seriously... ur beyond help if your going to ignore what people suggest... Why post on a forum with questions if you want to just do it wrong anyways?  there is gas in your spark plug hole because you hydrolocked your engine.  You need to pull both plugs and hit the starter to shoot the rest of it out.  Then you need to fix your petcock.  Then you need to assess running.  Then with a fixed petcock you can probably just run seafoam through your carbs to fix the float issue...

this is a 30 minute job... your making this rediculous.

Kids give me the urge to buy more condoms.
Sicko Smiley
K-woppa
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 03:31:39 PM »

OK, the thing we all want to know is;  How did the gas get into the spark plug well? That's bad, and there's only three ways it could get there.  1) It dripped down from the fuel tank above   2) It got pushed out of a badly flooded cylinder past a loose spark plug.  3) An enemy or a gremlin is pouring it in there in an attempt to destroy you.  You still haven't told us which.
desertrat748

ride-fix-ride-fix-ride

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 05:06:17 PM »

It's most likely the petcock letting gas past and a bad float.  Idk if you turn off the petcock does it eliminate it?  If you had a ducati it would be 5 times as expensive and you'd be a pro mechanic by now.

Stop crying and Ride!
dragknee
Wiki Admin
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 06:08:22 PM »

Take carb apart  clean best I can with WD40 and put back .

why would you use wd40? its not for cleaning.

just go to autozone or napa and buy a big can of carb cleaner.
toddlamp

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 09:08:40 PM »

This thread is starting to hurt my head.  The level of ridiculousness is excessive.
twowheels
Wiki Admin
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 11:42:44 AM »

It's most likely the petcock letting gas past and a bad float.  Idk if you turn off the petcock does it eliminate it?  If you had a ducati it would be 5 times as expensive and you'd be a pro mechanic by now.
1) If it is a carb float issue this will push gas into the cylinder. So no this is not the issue. Also if the float fails the petcock valve will still prevent fuel flow if it is working properly.

2) As the OP questioned about gas getting into the manifold... the 500 does not have a manifold - the exhaust exits the engine via header pipes.

3) as other posters haves stated - it is a GAS LEAK THAT IS DRIPPING GAS ON TOP OF THE ENGINE if it is coming out of the drain holes on the side of the engine

I am the genie of the toaster, here to grant you three wishes... provided they are of a toast-based nature.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: