Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Carb cleaning help for a first-timer  (Read 7261 times)
MattR

« on: July 16, 2007, 08:35:12 AM »

Hey guys. So this afternoon a friend and I are gonna work on cleaning out the carbs on my 500.  Iíve never worked on a carburetor before, so I donít really know what to expect. My friend says he has cleaned the ones on his bike (CBR F4) but I think he just pulled the tank, drained the carbs, filled them with a carb cleaner, let it sit for a few minutes, drained the cleaner, then ran the engine while spraying in carb cleaner.

I have read the ninja250 site about working on the carbs ( http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_work_on_the_carbs%3F ) is this pretty accurate? Also, what is your preferred carb cleaner? I have some Gumout carb+choke cleaner in an aerosol can.

Iím sure itís probably pretty easy to figure out, but Iíve never removed the gas tank on the bike, does anyone have instructions how to do this? Is there anything else I should check while Iím working on it, idle screws, air filter? I'm kinda embarrassed about being an engineer and needing to ask these questions, but i want to make sure I do it right, measure twice cut once kinda thing, and not lose anymore fingers. Thanks for all the help guys.

EX-500.com
Advertisement
mhess19

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 10:51:14 AM »

That's the guide I used when cleaning my carbs the first time. Just work in a clean environment, keep the carbs clean and keep track of the small pieces. I worked over a Rubbermaid cover to catch anything that may have fallen.
Jsvob03

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 04:03:00 PM »

taking the tank off is quite simple.

1.) Remove seat.

2.) Loosen & remove bolt (12mm) that holds tank down.

3.) on each side of the tank, there is 1 bolt that attaches the tank & fairing, loosen & Remove.

4.) Gently pull tank up a little bit to expose lines that are on the petcock. Remove fuel line, remove vacuum line (petcock should be OFF). slowly pick up your tank. I would recommend setting it on something soft, like an old car seat, or old pillow, or something. I set mine in the grass.

when you pull the tank off, there is going to be two little bushing things under the tank, make sure they stay in place on the bike, else the tank may not go back on right.

1996 Kawsaki Ninja 500.
Tommy69
Sponsoring Member
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 03:46:44 PM »

Matt , at least your not like most of the engrs. I deal with , they seem to know everything , and only they are correct.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: