Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Motorcycle Jeans vs. Regular Jeans?  (Read 12032 times)
ttrojniak

« on: July 30, 2011, 12:04:09 PM »

Just curious what your take is on motorcycle jeans vs regular jeans. Are they really any better than regular jeans? I picked up a pair and I haven't worn them yet. The pair I bought is reinforced with kevlar, I believe, but they don't feel any thicker than my thickest pair of regular jeans. I know that nothing will give you protection like motorcycle pants, but I'm curious what ya'll think.
EX-500.com
Advertisement
Rinzler
Administrator
Post Whore Superstar

King Ding-a-Ling

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 12:46:53 PM »

kevlar is stronger than cotton, has better abrasion resistance as well. the seams should be very well re-enforced as well, tripple stitching usually.

/Rinzler/.
Sr. Moderator
EX-500.com
Ghostt
Sponsoring Member
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 12:47:25 PM »

I got a pair love them and better than regular jeans for sure. depending on tjw brand of.jeans, some companies make CE armor that fits inside the jeans as well. I myself also have a pair of Bohn adventure pants, which are great.

1991 Orange EX500 $200.00 special http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,14599.0.html
twowheels
Wiki Admin
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 12:49:30 PM »

Just curious what your take is on motorcycle jeans vs regular jeans. Are they really any better than regular jeans? I picked up a pair and I haven't worn them yet. The pair I bought is reinforced with kevlar, I believe, but they don't feel any thicker than my thickest pair of regular jeans. I know that nothing will give you protection like motorcycle pants, but I'm curious what ya'll think.

http://www.ex-500.com/wiki/index.php/Rider_Apparel_Overview#Motorcycle_Jeans
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 12:51:25 PM by twowheels » Logged

I am the genie of the toaster, here to grant you three wishes... provided they are of a toast-based nature.
evildeadmike

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 02:00:32 PM »

I have the Cortech jeans, with the leather inserts in them (not kevlar) with knee protection as well. I crashed on them and dragged my left knee on the ground during the get off, and was bruised but no road rash and there is not even a MARK on the pants...

evildeadmike
2009 ER-6n
2009 Ninja 500R (totaled)
1993 Ninja 250R (sold)
toddlamp

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 11:44:57 AM »

Regular jeans will provide you with zero protection.  I had a low speed crash in jeans, in a parking lot, and my knee was cut up pretty bad.  DO NOT pick your gear based on how it feels between your fingers while sitting on the couch.  Only go with tried and tested motorcycle specific gear if you want to keep your skin.
The Villain

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 07:59:27 PM »

I had a low speed crash in jeans, in a parking lot, and my knee was cut up pretty bad.

And I had a 40mph crash in jeans, a mechanic's jacket and hiking shoes and was completely fine.  The world is full of anecdotal evidence.

Good quality denim or a reinforced work-pant are going to have the best abrasion and tear resistance you're likely to find outside of purpose-built motorcycle gear.  Obviously they're inferior but it's hardly cause for hysteria.

Kevlar reinforced jeans like you got are a good step, but the trouble is likely to come from the seams.  As Rizler pointed out the thread will be superior to something used in your basic Levis (at least nylon thread, sometimes even kevlar), but the design of jeans means those seams are always going to be exposed and likely to open in a bad crash.  As a substitute for jeans, your moto-jeans are great...wear them.  As a substitute for real riding pants?  Well, they're not.

GoBears

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 10:18:37 PM »

I wear the sliders 3.0 regular jeans. They are heavy and seem very well put together. Thankfully I can't report on their crash worthiness. In case anyone is looking at them, mine are cut a size big and they are super comfortable. One con is that I wish they had pockets to put armor in just for a bit of impact protection.

2007 Metallic Titanium Ninja 500R
moped

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 11:57:50 PM »

You can wear something like the Icon Field armor knee/shin guards under motorcycle jeans which will probably double or quadruple their protection but it negates the benefit of motorcycle jeans. The thing is I wear motorcycle jeans for the fact they are actually jeans when I get where I am going so I don't want to get there wearing bulky knee pads I then have to remove. Basically motorcycle jeans are a compromise to me, I accept they don't offer much more than very basic abrasion resistance and no impact protection if I crash and only wear them for very sedate commuting in the city for that reason. If I have a chance to change at my destination or am going for a longer ride I always wear armored motorcycle pants instead. Motorcycle jeans suck in cooler or damp weather. They work as a supplement to armored motorcycle pants for limited in city commuting in warm weather but are definitely not a replacement for them. Regular jeans don't have much more abrasion protection than shorts. Motorcycle jeans use denim that is over twice as heavy as regular jeans plus the kevlar lining in the seat and knees.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:01:19 AM by moped » Logged
AuthorEditor

2006 EX500

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 08:57:42 AM »

Carhartts are made of something called cotton duck, which is much more abrasion resistant than cotton denim, which is what ordinary jeans are made of. Duluth Trading makes some cotton firehose material pants that they also claim are highly abrasion resistant. You can get either in a loggers version that has a double layer on the front of the legs and knees. I own both and ride with them using knee/shin guards underneath for some impact protection. No, they are not as protective as motorcycle-specific pants, but yes they are more protective than ordinary jeans.

If ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people?
Andywear

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 09:17:08 AM »

Jeans>shorts and flip flop

I loath this place.
Ghostt
Sponsoring Member
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 03:23:16 PM »

I wear Bohn armour under both my motorcycle jeans(S&S brand) and regular jeans, and love them all day comfort at work too

1991 Orange EX500 $200.00 special http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,14599.0.html
snyi
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 09:12:41 PM »

I wear the sliders 3.0 regular jeans. They are heavy and seem very well put together. Thankfully I can't report on their crash worthiness. In case anyone is looking at them, mine are cut a size big and they are super comfortable. One con is that I wish they had pockets to put armor in just for a bit of impact protection.

The newer version of Sliders do accept optional knee protection.
Kennyp75

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 01:54:48 PM »

I know this is an older thread but I have been considering dedicated riding jeans to wear as warm weather riding pants. Reason for this is the riding pants I got awhile back are going to be way too hot especially with the non-removeable liner. Hell the first ride I got out on about a week ago when it was around 70F i didnt wear the pants and i wore regular jeans. So what do you think about jeans with armor similar to these:

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/steel_motorcycle_jeans/web1009966

(Off subject, I located a Cyclegear store not 15-20 minutes from my house and got some casual riding boots yesterday http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/pit_motorcycle_boots/web1009024  ..  I love this store..)

Respect the word. http://www.r-word.org/
stormcat
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 02:26:49 PM »

Thread revival!

I gotta jump in here with this observation: I noticed riding in jeans versus dedicated riding pants that the heat off the engine was scorchingly insane. Very uncomfortable to ride in jeans since they provide zero heat insulation, even with Under Armour underneath. Riding pants, however, seem to deflect most of the engine heat off the legs, making riding in the hot summer months far more enjoyable.
Littlepaw

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 11:21:12 AM »

I have wrecked in plain everday jeans twice now. I will tell you, they don't last for very long. I ended up with a bloody (and now scared) knee both times. I couldn't imagine all those people that wear shorts. Ouch!

"Look pal, I don't care how big your banana is"
dblosmith

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 08:14:07 PM »

I ride with Icon-moto pants and separate knee/shin guards and armored underwear for my bony, likely-to-shatter hips.  They look great and work well.

Chris
2006 Green
San Francisco, CA
brentinpdx

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 10:29:38 PM »

I have wrecked in plain everday jeans twice now. I will tell you, they don't last for very long. I ended up with a bloody (and now scared) knee both times. I couldn't imagine all those people that wear shorts. Ouch!

Standard Levis or an equivalent is abrasion  resistant for about 30 feet at 10 - 15 mph hour, you are sliding on your butt or thighs. Your skin alone is abrasion resistant before you hit the pavement at any speed. Wearing something other than Levis or shorts will give you a better margin. While I have  to agree that the more you spend on riding gear the better.. spending more than your budget is well.. something I cant get into. Buy what fits you  ON the bike, not in the store. My local Cycle Gear lets me take stuff out and sit on my bike to get an idea of how it will fit while riding, something you can not do shopping online. So, buy what you can afford and ride with your wits. That in itself is more than the gear. The gear is to lessen the injury when you forget you are on a motorcycle and you are not invincible.

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what kills you." Jeremy Clarkson

2006 Ninja 500r -sold
2001 Yamaha FZ1
twowheels
Wiki Admin
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 10:16:18 AM »

Standard Levis or an equivalent is abrasion  resistant for about 30 feet at 10 - 15 mph hour, you are sliding on your butt or thighs. Your skin alone is abrasion resistant before you hit the pavement at any speed. Wearing something other than Levis or shorts will give you a better margin. While I have  to agree that the more you spend on riding gear the better.. spending more than your budget is well.. something I cant get into. Buy what fits you  ON the bike, not in the store. My local Cycle Gear lets me take stuff out and sit on my bike to get an idea of how it will fit while riding, something you can not do shopping online. So, buy what you can afford and ride with your wits. That in itself is more than the gear. The gear is to lessen the injury when you forget you are on a motorcycle and you are not invincible.
10-15mph will not cause a 30ft slide. You only need to slide a few feet with a pressure point caused by body weight to wear through denim. Tumbling lessens abrasion but is more damaging to bones.

Abrasion resistance chart - http://www.ex-500.com/wiki/index.php?title=Rider_Apparel_Overview#Abrasion_Resistance_and_Comparison_of_Materials

In studies motorcycle pants have a 90% likely hood of preventing an open wound in a motorcycle accident compared to jeans. Only heavy leather has enough abrasion resistance to withstand a 60MPH slide however.... the likely hood of a 60MPH slide on the street is rare though. Most motorcycle accidents seem to occur at 30-35MPH range.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 02:12:18 PM by twowheels » Logged

I am the genie of the toaster, here to grant you three wishes... provided they are of a toast-based nature.
Ghostt
Sponsoring Member
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 11:43:19 AM »

here's some info from RevZilla.com

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/X3Zxxy73Ff4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/X3Zxxy73Ff4&rel=1</a>

Forbin
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 11:59:42 AM »

I'd have to imagine that "motorcycle jeans" with no armor under them will still result in some nasty burns from the fabric sliding against your skin in a crash.
dewey81

Thats how you get ants!

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 10:48:58 PM »

Not sure how these are even worth the coin. For the same price, or a few more bucks depending, you could get actual armored riding pants that would protect so much better.
rayw

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2012, 11:50:18 PM »

some people care more about how it looks than how it performs. it's their choice (a dumb choice, but theirs to make).
VICIOINA
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 12:19:52 AM »

some people care more about how it looks than how it performs. it's their choice (a dumb choice, but theirs to make).

Yup, Dikies work jeans will protect you just as well and cost $20. If you want protection buy protection. No armor means just that, no protection!!

\\\\\\\"Be advised, all of my instructions are personal experiences, and not necessarily correct or without errors. I reserve the right to be wrong!!\\\\\\\"
dewey81

Thats how you get ants!

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2012, 02:56:06 AM »

On a side note, that was the first mention i've seen here about revzilla. Thought I was the only one that bought from them.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: