Scorpion EXO 500 vs. EXO 700 vs. EXO 750

<< < (4/5) > >>

Jrocket:
While I love webbikeworld, they are taking a very pro Snell stance on the topic.  Much of the article you linked reads very close to a reworded Snell Press release. 

The bottom line for me is, many top scientiest, including Snells previous foundation director Dr. Jim Newman, an actual rocket scientist and highly respected head-impact expert, have been critical of the M2005 standard. "we've come to the realization that people falling off motorcycles hardly ever, ever hit their head in the same place twice. So we have helmets that are designed to withstand two hits at the same site. But in doing so, we have severely, severely compromised their ability to take one hit and absorb energy properly."

Even the famous Dr. Hurt had issue with the M2005 standard.  "We've got people that we've replicated helmet [impacts] on that took 250, 230 Gs [in their accidents]. And they've got a diffuse injury they're not gonna get rid of. The helmet has a good whack on it, but so what? If they'd had a softer helmet they'd have been better off."

Instead of using the scientifically availible data that was published by 2005 and fixing the M2005 standard Snell went into denial and tried to justify a inferior standard.  I'm sorry but anyone that is willing to put my head at more risk because they are afraid of potential blow back from manufactures and consumers by admiting they were doing it wrong, is not someone I am going to trust down the road.

See what makes the M2005 standard so poor is the allowable forces trasmitted to the head.  300Gs, Whichs is more then any other standard back in 2005.  Still instead of saying they were doing it wrong with the M2005 standard when the published the M2010, they say the only real change to the testing is the head forms for M2010.  This is where webbikeworld is very pro snell with the article you publish.  Notice how the M2010 article shows lower forces allowable, they are down to 275G at the max to 243G based on the head form used.  That is a 25G to 57G change  in allowable force, THAT IS THE BIG DIFFERENCE in the M2005 and the M2010.  The spin that webbikeworld puts on the article doesn't make a big deal of this instead discussing with more weight the headforms they use for smaller heads.  That is a 8% reduction of force allowable.  They had the data that showed they should have switched the standard back in 2005 but they let business politics stop them. I don't think 4 years is an acceptable time if you know you have a problem with your testing to fix it.  Then sweeping it under the rug?  Snells reputation is in the crapper as far as I am concerned.

Then throw the fact that Snell has pretty much become a marking sticker.  Once again, directly quoted from Snells previous director. Dr. Newman "The Snell sticker,has become a marketing gimmick. By spending 60 cents [paid to the Snell foundation], a manufacturer puts that sticker in his helmet and he can increase the price by $30 or $40. Or even $60 or $100."

Apriliarider:
I was looking in the Scorpion catalog at work on Monday. The description given there for the construction of the EXO-400 shell was that it was a "Polycarbonate Composite" which would mean that is not simply polycarbonate. I have one, and for what it's worth it's a very comfortable helmet. Bang is high for not very much buck. I've had a few issues with mine and it's going back to Scorpion for repairs. Their customer service is top notch. I'll very likely be picking up an EXO-700 on the first. I'm getting one for a song at work so I can't pass it up. It's not like I need one, but it's a nice helmet also. I tried it on yesterday and it fits just like the 400. As for the EXO500 I haven't tried one on yet. I do know the EXO1000 has been replaced by the EXO1100 which looks like it's a better helmet. There is a new design that I really like too:

Steffnap:
Quote from: Apriliarider on September 21, 2011, 03:25:33 PM

I was looking in the Scorpion catalog at work on Monday. The description given there for the construction of the EXO-400 shell was that it was a "Polycarbonate Composite" which would mean that is not simply polycarbonate. I have one, and for what it's worth it's a very comfortable helmet. Bang is high for not very much buck. I've had a few issues with mine and it's going back to Scorpion for repairs. Their customer service is top notch. I'll very likely be picking up an EXO-700 on the first. I'm getting one for a song at work so I can't pass it up. It's not like I need one, but it's a nice helmet also. I tried it on yesterday and it fits just like the 400. As for the EXO500 I haven't tried one on yet. I do know the EXO1000 has been replaced by the EXO1100 which looks like it's a better helmet. There is a new design that I really like too:

I have an exo 1000 and if you can find one around the helmet is great, a little noisy when the vents are opened,  but my ninja 500 has D&D's on it and you can barely hear them when riding, I love my helmet, the features are top notch and it's snell and dot certified.

Architect:
I own a 1100.  It's the only one that will fit my round head.  The 700s won't fit without pressure points.  I went for this over the Shoei RF 1100 cause of price and value but still premium feel.  It's a lighter helmet than the 1000 and the other ones because it's ECE not SNELL. 

Littlepaw:
No one prob remembers, but a couple of years ago I went down at about 35 mph to 40 mph. I walked away with almost no injuries. My EXO 500 held up amazing. I literally had the snot knocked out of me and my head dragged along the pavement. I walked away with no head trama, only some road rash from jeans and a crappy jacket. Don't ever let someone tell you a helmet must have a high sticker price to be safe :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page