Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
+  Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R
|-+  Forums» Carburetors» Ultrasonic carb cleaning ?
Username:
Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ultrasonic carb cleaning ?  (Read 4009 times)
gpzpaul

« on: October 21, 2011, 08:17:58 AM »

Has any one had there carbs ultra sonically cleaned are the any pit falls and would i have to set them back up to get the bike to run after. Found some one that will clean both for 40.00 inc postage and he will replace any naf screws
EX-500.com
Advertisement
Rinzler
Administrator
Post Whore Superstar

King Ding-a-Ling

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 08:39:12 AM »

i suspect he would probably write down where the screws are set before ripping them apart so he gets them right again... cleaning your own carbs is pretty simple anyway. if you need ultra sonic, they are way beyond fucked anyway.

/Rinzler/.
Sr. Moderator
EX-500.com
gpzpaul

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 12:53:22 PM »

i suspect he would probably write down where the screws are set before ripping them apart so he gets them right again... cleaning your own carbs is pretty simple anyway. if you need ultra sonic, they are way beyond fucked anyway.

My carbs work fine it is just that i like to keep my bike in tip top condition the tank will be removed this winter and cleaned so will the carbs they will be the last thing to put back to new condition so if this type of cleaning is ok then that's what will happen.  

(My as well clean the inside as well as out 40.00 inc postage is not a lot of money for the work done )

Do you think i would put up with a pair of f----d up carbs on a bike like this ?.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 05:41:58 PM by gpzpaul » Logged
jonh
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 01:09:31 PM »

Dont waste your money Paul. I have an ultrasonic cleaner I use for the model engines, it's good for what it has to do, but the carbs on your bike would not benefit from a sonic clean.
If you want them doing PM me.

The more you learn, the more you know,
The more you know, the more you forget
The more you forget, the less you know
So.. why learn.
00ninja
Post Whore Superstar

2000 Ninja 500R 33,560km and counting

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 05:03:31 PM »

I've had my carbs cleaned in an ultrasonic machine.  I didn't pay extra it was just part of the service they provided.  On the outside they looked brand new after they were reinstalled.

------------------

gpzpaul - It's doesn't matter how many times I see it but that is a beautiful bike.

"Paint it Black" Wink
-- The Rolling Stones --
gpzpaul

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 05:57:42 PM »

I've had my carbs cleaned in an ultrasonic machine.  I didn't pay extra it was just part of the service they provided.  On the outside they looked brand new after they were reinstalled.

------------------

gpzpaul - It's doesn't matter how many times I see it but that is a beautiful bike.

Thanks for the compliment but did your bike ride ok after they cleaned then ?
00ninja
Post Whore Superstar

2000 Ninja 500R 33,560km and counting

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 08:59:07 AM »

------------------

Thanks for the compliment but did your bike ride ok after they cleaned then ?

Ran very well after the cleaning.  Smoother and even saw in crease in my MPG (maybe due to the overall cleaning of the carbs).  I haven't experience any negative side effects from it either. 

Really there's nothing harmful that can happen to your carbs.  They are cleaned in an Ultrasonic machine using just tap water and ultrasound to do the work.

Is it required to get a thorough cleaning?  I don't think so.  I'm definitely no expert but carbs have been cleaned for a very long time without this technology.  If it's free or for just a minimal cost then sure why not. 

"Paint it Black" Wink
-- The Rolling Stones --
tez

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 03:04:31 PM »

ay up get it done. i used to use an ultrasonic at work and best part of me engine found its way into it T120 .IT shakes loose any crap that is lurking in their.40 quid a bit much tho.cant remember the chemical that was used in it it wasnt water tho

PAINT IT BLACK
gpzpaul

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »

Thanks for all the info still not made my mind up so keep it coming THANKS.
ducatiman
Post Whore Superstar

'95 ducati 900ss/sp & '98 VFR...2 red bitches

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 08:35:43 AM »

for restoration purposes, ultrasound cleans the bodies like new. We can't accomplish that at home with guitar strings and compressed air.

i'll submit our methods posted ad nauseum here DONE CORRECTLY will net results equal AFA tuning and running is concerned.

Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S. Thompson
jonh
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 01:25:30 PM »

for restoration purposes, ultrasound cleans the bodies like new. We can't accomplish that at home with guitar strings and compressed air.

i'll submit our methods posted ad nauseum here DONE CORRECTLY will net results equal AFA tuning and running is concerned.

Granted, sonic cleaning will bring the carb's up like new, but to do it properly the carb's still need dismantling/cleaning/re-assembling.
I have come accross a few so called "cleaning companie's" who do nothing more than throw the carb (whole) into the tank for 20 mins and say it is clean.....er, no it aint.
I bought my little sonic cleaner specificaly for cleaning my small glow engines, It does a wonderfull job and has paid for itself many times over (I have a small side buisness doing overhauls and cleaning), I use V1ALUS solution at 5%, brings ally up to a super shinning showroom finish.

So.. why learn.
Masta Squidge
Banned

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 02:05:50 PM »

Not true at all.

I pull them apart and write down the settings then hand them over. That way I know they come apart and go back toegther properly, and I know they arent halfassing it. I had a carb off a 350 warrior (there is a small thread somewhere around here) that was caked solid with crap that I couldnt even get off with carb cleaner. Looked brand new when i got it back, inside and out.

jonh... how would carbs not benefit?

EDIT for reading fail
jonh
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 02:57:53 PM »

jonh... how would carbs not benefit?

LOL,Paul's carb's would not benefit......have you seen them,?.....they are cleaner than the day they were fitted, Grin

Dirty carb's, yeah, get them cleaned, but Paul's are already spotless. He's sorted anyway, they will be arriving here in the not to distant future, Wink

So.. why learn.
porksboy

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 12:06:21 PM »

I have used mine with Berrymans Chem-Dip. The older stuf works better. Dissasemble and clean with low heat for half hour. Reasembly is reverse of disasembly.

I use a professional model that holds one and a half quarts. The comsumer ones arent strong enough in my opinnion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: