Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remove front forks to set correct oil level?  (Read 1127 times)
lightningmcqueen

« on: May 04, 2012, 01:27:01 PM »

So I'm working on taking the cut springs out of my 1st gen ex500 and putting the stock springs from my old 1st gen in it. I figured I should change the fork oil at the same time. How important is it for the forks to be off when I do this and why? It seems like it would be much easier to do it with them still on. Thanks.
EX-500.com
Advertisement
FOG
FOG
Post Whore Superstar

DO not send me PMs such messages will be dumped. E

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 01:29:50 PM »

drill a drain hole.

FOG

I hate PMs if you want to contact me, find my email address.
VICIOINA
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 01:31:03 PM »

Yup! What Fog said, I did it and it makes it a much easier job.

\\\\\\\"Be advised, all of my instructions are personal experiences, and not necessarily correct or without errors. I reserve the right to be wrong!!\\\\\\\"
bmetz99

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 02:00:43 PM »

Gotta remove them to drill the drain hole anyway. Grin

If you've ever changed fork oil you'll remember that the stuff that drains out is nothing like anything you want in your forks- tends to be full of suspended muck that won't do anything good for your seals, bushings, etc.  And you'll never get all of the old oil out anyway, unless you either remove and invert them, or drain them from the bottom, then give 'em a rinse of clean oil before filling.
VICIOINA
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 02:09:22 PM »

Gotta remove them to drill the drain hole anyway. Grin

If you've ever changed fork oil you'll remember that the stuff that drains out is nothing like anything you want in your forks- tends to be full of suspended muck that won't do anything good for your seals, bushings, etc.  And you'll never get all of the old oil out anyway, unless you either remove and invert them, or drain them from the bottom, then give 'em a rinse of clean oil before filling.

i did not remove them to drill, when I opened the top it gushed out but to drill and tap I let old oil push out shavings. It works great now. Used Teflon washers, Teflon tape and pipe dope on 10/32 screws.

\\\\\\\"Be advised, all of my instructions are personal experiences, and not necessarily correct or without errors. I reserve the right to be wrong!!\\\\\\\"
montnrdr

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 02:29:36 PM »

So I'm working on taking the cut springs out of my 1st gen ex500 and putting the stock springs from my old 1st gen in it. I figured I should change the fork oil at the same time. How important is it for the forks to be off when I do this and why? It seems like it would be much easier to do it with them still on. Thanks.
I don't think he needs to add drain screws on first gen? Tongue
FOG
FOG
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 02:50:49 PM »

Yep I miised the 1st gen, There already there. What the devil is he talking about then?

FOG

jchiasson

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 04:02:56 PM »

I think he might be talking about fork oil level as opposed to springs.
Can the fork oil level be done properly without removing the forks from the bike?

"You see Elvis in every corner. or your not going fast enough. - FOG"
"Scooters get the wave...after all...they are kinda like fat chicks...fun to ride...you just wouldnt want your friends to see you on one Grin - rayycc1
FOG
FOG
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 04:57:19 PM »

Of course. With spring out and the forks fully compressed the level is131mm down from the top edge of the fork tube  5 5/32"

oil viscosity to taste not lighter than 20 in my opinion.

Now that said, the air head above the oil level acts like a piston in a cylinder. it has a compression ratio. adjusting that ratio, can be a tuning aide for bottoming. very much like another spring.  Just be sure you don't go crazy and get a Hyd lock. and make sure the O rings are in good condition.

FOG
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 05:00:41 PM by FOG » Logged

FOG
FOG
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 10:34:31 PM »

You can do whatever you want. I told you the right way.

FOG

piterus

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 01:57:35 AM »

20w with stock damper rods? its going to be a piece of wood (not sure on 1st gen)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 02:00:46 AM by piterus » Logged
FloridaEX500
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 05:27:27 AM »

Just leave the forks on, no importance at all to remove forks to change springs or change the oil.

Funny how everybody talks about everything except answering the guys question. What's with you People Today? Usually most of you can read.
twowheels
Wiki Admin
Post Whore Superstar

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 06:15:17 AM »

If found it was easier/more precise to do with them off but you can also do it with them on. Use the turkey baster method of setting the oil level (see Wiki). There is only I think 2 bolts required to remove a fork leg from the triple tree.

I am the genie of the toaster, here to grant you three wishes... provided they are of a toast-based nature.
lightningmcqueen

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 10:01:24 AM »

Thanks guys. I thought it was weird that everything was telling me they had to be off the bike seeing as it has drains at the bottom.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: