Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Lapping the head to repair a head gasket comments thread

38K views 145 replies 32 participants last post by  jkv357 
#1 ·
exactly how effective is this technique for lapping the head and barrells?

can it go wrong?

Dale

#3 ·
I have heard some people use a piece of granite tile, DO NOT DO THIS, I have been a granite installer for many years (father has a tile co. brother has a tile co. uncle has a tile co. you get the picture) and never have I seen a piece of granite tile that is perfectly flat, ever..

#4 ·
Hey Tile person, Question. Years ago I had Granite kitchen counters installed and I had a time finding a co. that had the equipment to do this. Apparently a large CNC mill using diamond tools. Down here in Mountain Home, AR there are a least 5 companies in this business.Has the cost of this equipment suddenly dropped?

FOG

#7 ·
I agree, but the thing is they dont use the mechine themselfs, they order the granite in "raw" slabs. They are usually 8-12 feet across, polished on one side and have no definite shape.

they then cut it to fit the customers needs, they use a profile wheel to shape the edges and then polish them.

#8 ·
solar-ex said:
I have heard some people use a piece of granite tile, DO NOT DO THIS, I have been a granite installer for many years (father has a tile co. brother has a tile co. uncle has a tile co. you get the picture) and never have I seen a piece of granite tile that is perfectly flat, ever..
I did this a couple of months ago. So far, no problems, but I did have to sort through some tiles with my straight-edge until I found a good candidate.

#9 ·
I've been racing Honda's for 7 yrs, 2 and 4 cylinder.Lapping the head seems to be a good idea,,make it true.I had a problem with a motor, but it was the cylinder liner not being flush with the top of the cylinder casting, and it disintegrated a head gasket..slowly!(it was lapped by a machine shop)I was at Shannonville and watched a racer spray paint the head gasket on his fzr 600. I have built several air cooled twins and have never trued the casting(um read above) and they work fine!,,Are head castings on ex 500's prone to warp?? remember I'm new to this gig,,are the head gaskets expensive?? please your comments,,,thxs JD

#12 ·
richardlwebbjr said:
I am way impressed with this. How do you know all of this????
I raced this machine for 12 years and managed a team of three riders and bikes. This overheating problem was so chronic with these bikes I set out to find the reason. Being an engineer and owning a very capable machine shop I was able to see the warpage that occurs on this engine that would otherwise be considered OK by a typical mechanic. I determined that creating a good flat surface match was the key and have repaired maybe 50 engines in said manner.
Finally I'm a 70 year old genius.

FOG

#15 ·
Wow, not fair. I couldn't even get the cam chain off LOL. So, getting a Haynes manual tomorrow and trying again. Spring Break this week. All I gotta do is go to work and then I can work on the bike. I had it running so good today and was really bummed when all that coolant spewed out.....

#16 ·
If I am using an abrasive lapping compound on a glass or tile lapping plate would it not wear away the much softer lapping plate before the much harder metal surface that I am trying to smooth and in the process make it impossible to even out any irregularity?

#17 ·
Yes and that's OK be sure to cover the entire surface of your plate with the strokeing action to keep the wear even. change the orientation of the plate to the head often.

FOG

#20 ·
FOG said:
I don't know, Sounds like Snake Oil to me ,but maybe. Depends on how much combustion pressure it will withstand. Somebody will have to try it.

FOG
well its expensive stuff so it better work! if my head gassket ever needs a fixin ill be sure to try that stuff and review it.

G
#21 ·
A product that you pour in that claims to plug up a head gasket? I think this part of a testimonial that tells you what the product is useful for:

"Several mechanics tried to repair the leak with all kinds of stuff. This engine must have been overheated 20 times. Now it runs very smooth and powerful. I can now sell it and make a profit. Thank you Steel Seal. "

I'm extremely skeptical. But if the product actually does this for any temporary amount of time, that can be useful for people that get hit with a sudden head gasket failure.

And there should be some sort of actual visual confirmation of its properties via some kind of example setup for the video.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.