I did some searching on here and this seems to be a pretty consitent problems on bikes approaching 15K miles or more. Basically you notice a small amount of oil coming from the weep hole on the right side of the bike. This is caused by the gasket on the balancer shaft going bad. I will show what happens in the pictures. Since there was no DIY for this I thought I would post one as I was doing the project today.
First you need to order the fallowing parts from your local dealer or ronayers.com
658837 49063-1056 SEAL-MECHANICAL 1 $10.16
1087314 92049-1215 SEAL-OIL 1 $6.33
113225 11009-1838 GASKET,PUMP HOUSING 1 $3.85
113226 11009-1839 GASKET,PUMP COVER 1 $5.04
I would also recommend orddering a new oring for the pipe that runs to the engine. I didnt replace it cause I didnt know about it but I would suggest doing it anyway.
here is the microfiche blowup of what we are doing.
So here we go replacing it.
1. Get the bike on the center stand and get the bottom fairing off
- 2 phillips screws up front and 2 x 10mm bolts onteh bottom
-slide it off
2.Here is a picture of what the oil leak should look like
3. Get a pan and drain the coolant from the radiator
- remove the 8mm drain bolt - also loosen the hose hat runs from radiator to pump to relieve vacuum
- should drain about 3/4 gallon or so
-set it aside
4. Remove the 4 x 8mm screws from the waterpump cover
-pay attention to put them back in the same hole as one is different
5. Pull the top cover off
- NOTE there are two layers here so make sure you only try to remove the top cover so not to damage the WP propeller
- the tube comes out of the engine
- replace the gasket and set the cover aside
6. Remove the WP propellor
- IT IS REVERSE THREADED - right to loosen it is 12mm
-just unscrew it and set it aside
7. Remove the inner panel
8.press out old gaskets
- rip off the big gasket
- flip it over and pull out the slotted gasket first using a small screwdriver
-now use a 1 3/4" pvc pipe to knock out the other seal carefully
9. put in new gaskets
- put in the seal first using a rubber hammer and your pvc pipe
-put in the rear seal next
-put the cover on
- propeller screw on
-top cover on - BOLTS WHERE THEY SHOULD GO
-screw the bleed screw back in and clamp the hose
-refill the radiator (left side of the bike)
-bleed system to get rid of air bubbles.
and your done. any questions feel free to email me.