Precious little work got done on the PSS this weekend. Despite being a long weekend for me, I got little accomplished.
I'm going to head out to my garage soon and see if I can get a bit more done but this is the limited progress so far.
I ordered new rubber mounts for the carbs so beautifully prepared by @ducatiman
. I figured as nice as they came out, they deserved a better home than the old sodden rubber boots.
Saturday, small but significant progress was made. I removed the old fuel filter and pump from the tank. I've sourced a new pump from Amazon, but have not ordered it as yet. Filter seems like a generic G2 or G8 Fram item. I've seen where the metal Napa version is preferred so I'll probably go that route.
Whilest removing the pump, my sleeve caught on a shard of the nasty paint that covered the tank. It popped off a nickel or quarter sized chunk. That gave me pause to change direction for the day.
To be honest, I did not look forward to sanding or grinding off all that paint. It is unnecessarily thick, brittle and the surface below was poorly prepped.
When that chunk popped off, I thought; "well, it has to be done anyway" and took a hook scribe to it to see what would happen. In 5 minutes I'd removed a fairly big chunk of paint as it seemed to just pop off in dime sized chunks every time I prodded with the scribe.
In about an hour, I'd cleared the entire top of the tank down to the original paint below.
This is when I discovered the OEM AGIP decal that normally resides on the top of the tank, forward of the fuel filler had been ground off. Down to the bare metal below.
When I moved to the tank sides, I discovered the same had been done to the OEM Ducati logos. Down to bare metal.
Before I did that, I noted that a previous owner (not the guy I got it from) had adorned the tank with 1980s Ducati logos. The gum residue still clearly visible on the nasty paint.
Here are some pics, followed by my thoughts on the refinish that I removed.
This area is the forward (front) of the tank, just above where the clamp secures to it.
What you see are two different finishes. The darker of the two reds is the OEM Ducati red.
The darker cherry red looking stuff that is everywhere is some sort of adhesion promoter or self etching primer.I can't decide which.
It wipes off with lacquer thinner with a tad bit of elbow grease. That makes me think more an adhesion promoter.
The lighter of the two reds is the re-spray work. It is garbage. It was filled with sags, solvent pop and was way, way over done. It was so thick...6 mils or better. Honestly, that's not an exaggeration.
Another view of the same spot, just zoomed out a little.
If you look to the top right area of the pic, you can see a short demarcation line where the finish underneath gives way to the adhesion promoter and then the red primer before the finish paint.
As you can see, there is adhesion promoter covering the entire tank. There was a layer of red primer over this. One reason I've decided as I type this that is in fact adhesion promoter.
This is the side of the tank where the Ducati logo used to be. Like I wrote previously, ground down to bare metal.
Here is where it gets interesting though. If you look closely, you'll see a white primer base, followed by a yellow and then a red. The red is OEM Ducati red.
I don't know about the yellow. It appears it may be primer....but why would you use a yellow primer and not a red primer? Besides, there is a white primer below that.
I don't know, but I have some suspicions. I've emailed Ducati Italy regarding the VIN and what it was configured as when it left the factory.
So, now that the tank is essentially stripped of the shitty paint it came to me wearing, I can actually begin block sanding and getting it ready for the new paint.
I'm going to wipe it down thoroughly with lacquer thinner first so that I get as much of that crappy adhesion promoter off before I begin block sanding.
Further, there is a minor ding in the top right side of the tank....debating trying to bump that out before hand or just put some filler over it and press on.
It's minor and I don't want to risk damaging the tank for something so small. If it bugs me enough, I'll try to bump it out. Otherwise, a bit of filler and primer.
More as I find time to get stuff done........sean