Quoting myself here:
Tomorrow I'll install the steering head bearings and triple trees...maybe the forks too if all goes well. In fact, if all goes well, I'll also install the swing arm so I can get the chassis up on stands.
Today most certainly did not go as planned. At least, not once I started on the PSS. After I went out for a pedal this morning, I got busy out in my garage. I figured I better get all the stuff together and into installation shape before I got too far into mounting the triple trees and forks.
To that end, I checked the new to me forks I bought to see if the axle I had on hand was going to fit. It did not, as the threads on the insert are smaller on the old leaky fork than on the insert in the new to me forks. So, I checked the diameter of the flange and it was the same on both. I thought okay, no big deal, just remove the insert from the old fork and install it on the new one.
I wish it were that simple. The old forks were in horrible shape, and I expected nothing less from the insert. Indeed, it was mostly seized in place. I loosened the pinch bolts and tried to move the insert...no dice. I did the same on the new fork and the insert simply popped out with a bit of pressure.
That began an hours long removal process. When I finally got the damned thing out it was readily apparent why it was so hard to remove. Some idiot decided to peen the end of the thing to prevent it from coming out. All that had to be done was to not loosen the pinch bolts and it would have never moved.
Instead, the insert was all kinds of misshaped and mushroomed on the end that had been peened. There were pipe wrench marks on the flange as well as the insert body itself. I wish I'd taken before pics of it but I was so irritated I just went straight at repairing the damage.
The one on the left is OEM and not at all modified or repaired in anyway. The one on the right is the one I removed from the old fork leg and then repaired. Seriously, you should have seen it before I fixed it. At least now it measures the same 0.98" instead of 0.995"
Keep in mind, this is AFTER being repaired. It now pops right into the left fork leg on my new to me forks just like the one that came out did. Along the way, I figured I'd repaint the fork bottoms bronze as all the bronze color has worn off or sun faded. Once I do that, I'll brush on some anti-seize to keep it corrosion free, now that all the cadmium finish is gone.
To top off the day, I finally got to where I got the forks ready to go in, and the triple trees cleaned up...I go to install the inner steering head bearings and no dice. Nope, they don't fit. About .5mm too small ID. Now I have to research new ones with a slightly bigger ID but the same OD. And I thought I was going to be all clever and pack them nice first, then set them on a hot plate until they were 250 degrees so they'd slide right on. NOPE. Denied.
There went my whole day. At least I made SOME progress if not actually accomplishing what I'd set out to do today. Oh well, one step forward = 2 steps back. .... sean