Not much has gotten done since my last post. Seriously, very, very little.
What has gotten done, is a great deal of research on parts and various other things. In doing so, I attempted to take care of the front rotors as they'd been on my brain of late.
As I'm getting very, very close to a rolling chassis, I wanted to make sure that I had brakes to stop the thing whilst rolling it around in the garage. So, I dug out the rotors and gave them a once over.
Now, I'd taken them off when I disassembled the bike and run them through a parts washer to get all the suspension fluid off them. I only partially succeeded in that endeavor.
What I'd wanted to do, was to use the stock rotors and turn them into full floating rotors by drilling out the rivets and installing a button kit.
In order to do that, I needed to know the diameter of the button so I could order the correct kit. I had to drill out at least one of the rivets so I could find the diameter.
I wanted to keep the stock carrier and rotor band to both keep the cost down. Also, I happen to both like the look of the OEM carrier with its round holes and gold 'anodizing' and I wanted to keep it looking as stock as I could.
I was both disappointed and surprised at what I discovered during this little operation. 1st off, the stock OEM center carrier is not anodized, it's painted. (shoulda been my first clue)
2nd the paint on mine is a mess. It peeled badly when I ran it through the parts washer.
3rd is the defining thing....the carrier is not aluminum but steel. When I reached this stunning conclusion, I had to double check it with a magnet to make sure.
Finally, as I drilled out the rivet head, the parts heated up and the un-mistakeable scent of burning suspension fluid filled the air. So much for getting them clean...though that point is pretty moot now.
More research as I find a set of "snow flake" rotors from a 916-996. The "snow flake" carrier is already verified alloy construction as there is set on my 996.
The only other progress is I got two things for the project this past week. A set of Ariete angled valve stems for the front wheel. Already installed too.
I also got a new "idiot light" plastic film for the idiot light pod on my OEM binnacle. The original one had a hole in it and it was not in good shape at all.
That's all for now. I did try to order a new carbon front fender from RSR Moto, but they were out of stock for the matte finish one I want. Had to leave a request for an email when they're back in stock.
More some time later. Considering a break from the forum until I can offer real progress to the PSS..........sean