Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

upcoming '18-'19 WINTER PROJECTS anyone?

12K views 173 replies 21 participants last post by  jkv357 
#1 ·
Regrettably, its that time again to start thinking ahead and prepping for off season projects.

I've got a set of ZX750 4 banger carbs here for a major clean and damage repairs.
Upcoming..doing a full refurb on Ducati twin Mikuni carbs for member @Apriliarider

At the moment, nothing involving my own machines, just winterize and leave 'em be till spring, I think.

Fire away folks.......all participants welcome.

#2 ·
I have a fork oil change due (by my schedule) in about 250 miles. I'm going to take a chance and push it off until winter. Kind of a boring procedure, but maybe I can spice it up. :surprise: :grin2:

#3 ·
that time already?

Going to tear into the speed triple. It's getting a valve clearance measurement at the very least. I've lost all mileage and service dates due to computer failure. But it's probably time, I'll change the plugs and coolant "while I'm in there." For the first time in a long time, the FJ and Speed Triple will be in the same place as I permanently. Wouldn't hurt to change the brake fluid either.

The FJ is good to go. hardly any miles on it this year. probably won't get many this next year either. It's going to be hard to pick which to ride. Sometimes I have buyers remorse. I bought it because it was a great deal. Not because I loved the bike. But on the other hand, it's allowed me to do a trip with my closest ridding buddies I wouldn't have been able to do on Speedy. Seems a common theme among FJ owners. Everyone likes the bike. Nobody loves it. Call me superficial, but I think I'd like it better with an aftermarket exhaust and ecu tune to match. Easy 10-15 whp gain which is nothing to scoff at, and makes the sound less anemic. I'm so used to the Triumph exhaust. So maybe, depending on the $ situation, FJ will get an aftermarket exhaust. I should do the brake fluid on it too, but I'll have to look at how involved that is with ABS and all.

#4 ·
For the first time in a long time, the FJ and Speed Triple will be in the same place as I permanently.
Hey Mangs.....long time no...errr...see? How ya been? Based on the quote above, you moved to a permanent residence?

As for projects, everyone by now has seen my PSS thread which will be my project for the foreseeable future. However, I have several side projects I'm working along with it.

The first being a new motorcycle work bench. That is, a raised platform that I can move the bike onto for maintenance purposes. I'm working on that so I have a place to work on the PSS. That kind of puts them hand in hand I guess.

The second is a new shed. I'm not sure how that will go once the rains come. My plan was to pour a concrete foundation, which could still happen before rain season hits. That one is kind of a back burner kind of thing anyway.

Those are my 3 projects for this winter. The work bench is nearly finished BTW. Have some more metal to cut and some welding to do before I install a top. Should be heavy duty enough to handle all but the heaviest bagger....so more than enough for the sports bikes I own.......sean

#7 ·
Mine will be the '81 Yamaha XS650SH. I am awaiting the time period to receive a Virginia Title and then I begin the tear down. So far, I have a Haynes manual and new ignition switch keyed to the gas cap and seat lock. This is my first restoration in the 38 years I have been riding. I will be working outside most of the time...wish me luck!

#8 ·
I plan to move the 93 ex500 in to the basement soon for the followning:

1, Vavle job, 8500 miles.

2, Brakes for the front.

3, LED frame highlights, I want the bluetooth connection type.

4, Phone charger and battery indicator.

5, chain and gears, I may go with a little acceleration bump.

6, LED fog lights to aid in cornering illumination

7, Spare set of rims may get a fresh powder coat (or chrome dip).

8. full cleaning, I found a little rust on the surface of the frame so I will have it cleaned and ready to spray in the spring.

9, sand and repaint the the parts that were dusty when last sprayed (spider vains).

10, clean up the engine block and polish the cooling fins.

11, sand and prep the gas tank for color match.

#10 ·
A major project is going to be tearing all the mods off my 500, to sell it in stock form in the spring. I figure I've spent about $2,500 in mods, and the only permanent changes are 3 holes I drilled. One in the dash for the voltage status LED, and one in each fork for drain screws. Other than a few little things like the LED dash lights and ProGrips (things that get replaced occasionally as part of maintenance), I'm planning to put everything else back to the way it was when I bought it in July '12 with 44 miles on it.

I've already started the mods on the 400. Got some swingarm spools - they're a much bigger deal when you don't have a centerstand. Installed a fender eliminator, because who wants 3' of plastic hanging off the tail? My flasher got here today for the LEDs that arrived yesterday. LED headlight and taillight stock, but they use bulbs in the blinkers? /sigh Transferred over the weighted bar ends from the 500. Still need to figure out a phone mount... I got so used to the shorty levers on the 500 that I have a set of those on the way too. The heavy bar ends on the 500 transfer right over, though they're long enough to bump my knee at full lock. The suspension is much better than the 500's, stock for stock, but it still needs to be tweaked for my weight. Eventually I'll probably get a Power Commander and exhaust.

I've decided to get the VFR road-worthy as cheaply as possible. I'd love to do a full restore back to stock condition, but it's all the expensive parts that got smashed up in the crash. I can go buy a pretty good bike with a lot lower mileage for less than the cost of fixing this one, so it just doesn't make sense to spend that much on it. I've got a 7" round Daymaker knockoff headlight installed, and I'm figuring out which gauges I want to go with. I'll get some turn signals of some sort to toss on there. It needs a little maintenance (one of the fork seals is starting to leak), but other than that it shouldn't take much get it back on the road.

#12 · (Edited)
Lot of busy beavers over the winter.

Members please feel free to participate and provide updates and pics as riding season ends and projects progress.
This thread, year by year has grown and usually remains active right into spring.

I've got a local bud who just bought a '94 Ducati Monster, needing clutch work (noisy) , belts (automatic replace), valve clearance check (automatic) so I just may join in myself. We've got no specific plan of attack as yet, but I know the bike will end up here at some point when his funds, necessity, energy and enthusiasm all align.

The heavy participation and diversity of projects is good stuff, making for a fun, active winter thread.

#14 ·
I had planned on a complete repaint to get all of the lines a little cleaner, but then I remembered that I missed quite a few epic riding days last winter because the bike was in pieces. It is really easy to get stuck in the garage tweaking this and that.
I think I will just take care of the basics and enjoy being a motorcycle RIDER.

Reactions: K-woppa
#15 · (Edited)
Got plenty to do this winter.

Need to pull the top end off of this new acquisition ('08 CRF150R - doesn't run, and it ain't the carb...) to see exactly what I'm dealing with -

I know it needs a cam, but past that I'm not sure. Already surprised with some really bad mechanical work, so I won't be surprised if I get more bad news.

Had a slow day at work so I coated the valve cover and heat shield in a gold texture powder similar to what Honda uses on Magnesium covers.

Last winter's project was repairing and repainting my son's R6 bodywork from a late fall lowside.

The winter before was doing the head lapping and gasket on his Ninja 500.

#16 · (Edited)
non motorbike related winter task .....

gotta get my 3 acoustic guitars out, cleaned, verify setups and new strings.
2 Martins and my crown jewel Lowden S12 (built by George Lowden in Ireland)

The Lowden sings, sustain forever, amazing bottom end from a small body acoustic. Impressive workmanship too.

All 3 are vintage beauts...they actually justify pics...I'll get there.

#18 · (Edited)
may I interject a couple of quick geetar playin' stories? Sure I can, its my thread!

1963....age 12 ...borrowed my neighbors cheapo acoustic for about a month, learned some chords out of the book....Beatles "Love me do" (a simple 3 chord song) comes on the radio...I quickly figured out the chords and played along with the freakin' Beatles! Wow, was I hyped! Hooked me good.

1967...age 16 my 1st gig with cover band at a bar.....summer Sunday afternoon....made $5 bucks! Wow! That cemented the band thing. Played off and on in working cover bands till my late 50's!

Reactions: bpe and boog
#19 ·
You were playing in bars at 16? LOL! I was also out there at 16, in the Musician's union, playing alto sax in a full band, doing outdoor summer concerts and marching in parades; show tunes and pop on stage, Souza marches on the street. We were in two different worlds, for sure, but still doing the same thing.

#22 ·
Sure did, things were much looser back then, of course. I had background playing trumpet before 4th grade, long before guitar. Learned how to read music, established a good "ear" which helped quickly learning geetar.
My grandpa went to music conservatory in Europe, what an amazing clarinet player. He helped me out a lot.

Also spent a good number of years as a church resident (paid) guitarist. Pre-service and sometimes backing
the choir SOLO, a challenge to say the least. But very rewarding when we pulled off pertinent, soulful songs that were (almost) bluesy in nature. On occasion, I was also asked to back up various ladies doing solo songs. A lot of work and again, very rewarding when we pulled it off. But thats why we play, innit? It doesn't come without investment in time and effort....the satisfaction is immense when it comes off.

I used my acoustics extensively during that period. Any money I earned was donated right back in the offerings plate, of course.

#20 ·
3 sets of Elixer Nanoweb phosphor bronze blah blah blah "coated" strings on order. My preferred size 12's. They last a long time, but cost quite a bit $15/16 bucks per set

I'll wait for arrival before pics and setup commence.

#21 · (Edited)
I dusted off my long neglected acoustics, thankfully safely stored in cases in temp and humidity controlled environment. Though strings need a'changin'...some tuning found each one playable, no long term issues.

Martin 000-16SRGT is a great finger pickin' tool. Note its old fashioned "slothead", not many of these made. No longer a standard, now a "custom" offering only from Martin. Spruce top, rosewood back and sides. Martins acoustics are USA made, of course. A beautiful guitar.

Martin 00-15 is a great go-to, outdoor, park bench anytime/anywhere player. Mahogany all around, a vintage vibe.

Lowden S12 small body really sings and rings. Worth more than I paid for it new! "Handmade in Ireland", note the serial and model #'s handwritten. Its workmanship and materials impeccable and impressive.

Better pics to follow.

Attachments

#23 · (Edited)
That spruce top Martin looks to be in really fine shape. Will we also be seeing pics of the mahogany Martin and the Lowden?

I assume the purpose of the slot head is to get the strings down lower relative to the nut. My understanding is that string through body mounting helps with sustain with solid body electrics. Is that the idea here? Sorry, my guitar geekiness is coming out.

#24 · (Edited)
A matter of debate in acoustic guitar land. Slot heads been around since the 1800's? Increases the break angle of the strings = brighter tone. Of course body size, type, bracing, type of materials also a factor. Some folks hate the look, and alleged difficulty in stringing vs a now "standard" paddle head.

The 000-16 12 fret with slothead gives a vintage vibe....and its sustain and tone is undeniable. A great fingerpicker. Different from the Lowden, but in a good way. Though the Lowden clearly trumps the Martin in the sustain and projection department. Very difficult for me to describe difference in sound between the 2....each stands on its own. Fine instruments, both.

#27 ·
I'll be doing my fork oil change this winter.
Wait till you get a load on how I get the fork caps off.:surprise: I haven't shown this on the site yet.

#29 · (Edited)
Warm outdoors today, as promised some acoustic pics

pic 1 +2 the Martin 000-16 slothead

Pic 3 the Martin "go anywhere" 00-15

Pic 4 + 5 the Lowden S12

All wonderful, fun players. Another goal this winter....to get back into practice! I'm rusty as all hell.

Attachments

Reactions: Devilsfan
#31 · (Edited)
Thanks, the Lowden was a wise investment on multiple levels, a keeper.

George Lowden is truly a master builder. His workmanship, considering (at the time) he was a very small operation is staggering. As I stated...the balanced tone, projection, resonance and sustain are impressive and remarkable, especially considering the S12 is a small body acoustic, its projection and "low end" that of a larger body. This is (partially) a result of his own unique, internal bracing design.

And to think, contrary to my playing ability.....the tone will actually improve as the woods age!

#33 · (Edited)
#34 · (Edited)
Another task to add to the winter projects. Ordered a leather seat cover for the SS800, coming from England, I'm not in any rush.
The SS stock cover, visually, just not pressing my buttons.

Attachments

Reactions: bpe
#114 ·
Compared to vinyl, this leather cover is proving a bit more difficult to work with. This particular brand designed very tight, very little room for error and I'm reluctant to heat it up via oven or blow dryer, don't want to screw it up....choose to wait till warm sunshine returns.

No rush, we'll get there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.