Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

I picked up a 98 zx6

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Kevinl7778 
#1 ·
I went an hour north to look at a zx6 with 22k and towed it home at $500. Hopefully the title 8s jot an isseu, adding it to my winter projects title pending I guess.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Service rendered at a shop, po fails to pay and gives up title as payment. Shop owner and MMA buddy refurbished Harley and title is given as payment to MMA buddy so he can get back into riding. MMA get fun, MMA gets busy and changes jobs. Never finishes what ever work he was doing on it and decided cash is better.

Plelim: Dead battery, rust in the fuel I just drained, rattling in the carbs, missing hardware, right grip touches tank so it's bent, fixed scratches on left so slow speed slide on the left. Tires look good but I haven't found the date code, clutch is stuck, engine rolled over with the 500 battery in it, sound good. Title permitting I think it will be "running" before winter and road worthy in the spring.

Repair log:
9-17-18
Carb:
#1, has a stripped screw and fuel bowl is gummed on, dremmeled a slot on the side and tapped with flathead and hammer. inside #1 never touched.
#2, carb #2 was missing the float valve and the pilot jet.
#3, carb #3 is clean and intact.
#4, carb #4 is dirty/rusty and pilot jet ratteling around with pilot screw fully tightened.
#5, all vac gaskets are intact and parts move smoothly.
Brakes:
#7, Front brakes are sticky so they will need to come off for an overhaul.
Misc:
#8, Found a user manule and parts doner on facebook group, book should arrive soon and owner is to look in box of parts.

9/25/18:
Fairings;
#9, I found the snapped off part of the right rear fairing stuffed into the brake light so i can repair that and have a complete set of fairings.
Carbs:
#10, Missing the throttle cable and choke cable mounts from the carburator.
#11, carb #1 has a stripped out idle jet hole, looks like I aam buying a used set of carbs in hole of getting enought to get it going. Face book doner is going to try to get parts out soon. I have also pulled the carb off of the 500 to borrow a float valve to try to start it on three cylinders but im not sure if I will follow through on this (leaking float bowl seal being fixed also)
Title:
#12, I managed to track down the owner after finding the previous registration stuffed in the pocket under the seat and he is going to the DMV to pull a copy of the title. Also ofund out from him that the bike was brought to the shop for "carb work" and it was running proir to going to the shop.

11/26/18
#13 Ordered a parts carb to get the missing cable brackets and cv sliders after I found out the viniger bath ruined the original carb cv slides and other parts.
#14 Ordered a repair kit for gaskets and oring
#15 restored the parts carb as the original bodies broke at the threaded area while removing stripped screws
#16 Installed the carb and found the throttle pull cable starting to go, battery died but with a jump from the 500 and some starting fluid I was able to fire it up. I didnt try to spin the rear wheel but if I get a chance this weekend I may run through the gears at idle speed to insure the trans is not shot.

5/31/19:
#17: At some point Iafter gettin it started this spring i took it for a few slow laps around the block, no front brakes but I was able to slow shift through the gears and the bike had a strange feeling as it was turning. A week or so later the front tire was showing signs of low pressure.
#18: Cleanned off most of the pollen after fixing most of the broben plastics, after it was clean I found a few more spots in the dash and dash trim.
#19: After cleaning I tested the fuel level sensor by filling the tank with a few gallons, started leaking down the left side. Further inspecion shows four pin holes in the tank under the rear rubber grommet mount.
#20: Found a cheap 94 zx600E california model for sale wirth a clean gas tank and good plastice, got it home and stipped the plastics and carb. Cleaned the caarb and got the bike to fire up. The belly pan is grimmy so I think it has some kind of leak and the valves are a bit loude. I will try removing the cct, reinstallng and testing again.

needs:
Tank rinsed and rust proffed
new chain and gears
Front and rear break service
New cable's
coolant flush
Possible tires
possible valve job

complete:
Oil and filter
replaced petcock
Title
Full carb restore
Fuel tank de-rusted-holes found, needs JB wield
Replaced torn cv diaphragm

#6 ·
Found the previous owner and some things that need attention:

9/25/18:
Fairings;
#9, I found the snapped off part of the right rear fairing stuffed into the brake light so i can repair that and have a complete set of fairings.
Carbs:
#10, Missing the throttle cable and choke cable mounts from the carburator.
#11, carb #1 has a stripped out idle jet hole, looks like I aam buying a used set of carbs in hole of getting enought to get it going. Face book doner is going to try to get parts out soon. I have also pulled the carb off of the 500 to borrow a float valve to try to start it on three cylinders but im not sure if I will follow through on this (leaking float bowl seal being fixed also)
Title:
#12, I managed to track down the owner after finding the previous registration stuffed in the pocket under the seat and he is going to the DMV to pull a copy of the title. Also ofund out from him that the bike was brought to the shop for "carb work" and it was running proir to going to the shop.

#8 · (Edited)
The 98 has holes in the tank so I will be using the parts off of the 94 with 35K that I picked up, also I got the 94 running during a monsoon but the valves are tiking/claking so i dont want to stress is. I will pull the cct and inspect and reinstall this week end and if htere is no improvment I am ging to call it in need of shims and buckets. To be continued.

Video:
https://www.facebook.com/kevin.lamb...veYWi2Rp-rG-_5pq5w8LP3AuNX9qBwMcptsUXUc4L3uXn

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.