Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Help needed for new forum section

3K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  K-woppa 
#1 · (Edited)
Copying this post here for some visibility. As envisioned, a Maintenance section specifically for new folks is now in process, volunteers needed!
************************************************************************************
Hey, if anyone interested in volunteering some time on producing an informational task, please PM me or respond here.

I've been investing time, comparing subject info within the HOW To section versus info in the old wiki. I'm seeing a definite need to update, simplify and streamline some basic maintenance info in the form of new informational posts (with pics) ...specifically tailored to new members, to be utilized within the section dedicated to basic service procedures.

Nothing will be overburdening in effort, time or terribly technical. Simple, basic, common tasks written with a new, first time owner in mind. I've compiled a to-do list and if some members could do 1 or 2....we'd have a nice clean, coherent section for new folk in no time.

Topics include...battery remove/replace, spark plug replace, air filter service, tank and bodywork removal, chain clean/lube, tire pressures and info.......there are more.

Nothing crazy silly, see? I'll guide you as to focus and parameters needed, but you will work independently....a minimum of drama. No "deadlines" or pressure. A fun, positive, long term contribution to the site.

You'll be fully recognized and credited with providing the info...in the form of permanent, "no touch" threads within the section.

The next phase (refining the advanced maintenance section) will begin to get deeper, after the section for new folk is nailed down.

Looking forward to working with you! Thanks in advance for your help!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
NEW BASIC MAINTENANCE TOPICS (note list growing)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@bpe doing OIL CHANGE

@bpe SPARK PLUGS, CAPS, WIRES INSPECTION CHANGE

@ksurk doing AIR FILTER SERVICE

COOLANT CHECK, TOP OFF

BATTERY CHECK

SIMPLE CHARGING SYSTEM CHECK

@KellyHopkinsville doing TIRES, PRESSURE CHECK

@ducatiman doing CHAIN LUBE AND MAINTENANCE

@ksurk doing SEAT, TANK, FAIRING REMOVAL

@ksurk doing MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE

@john z doing SUGGESTED ESSENTIAL TOOLS

@ducatiman doing USE OF MULTIMETER

Reactions: Aaronpkelly
#16 · (Edited)
bump

NEW BASIC MAINTENANCE TOPICS (note list growing)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@bpe doing OIL CHANGE

@bpe SPARK PLUGS, CAPS, WIRES INSPECTION CHANGE

@ksurk doing AIR FILTER SERVICE

COOLANT CHECK, TOP OFF

BATTERY CHECK

SIMPLE CHARGING SYSTEM CHECK

@KellyHopkinsville doing TIRES, PRESSURE CHECK

@ducatiman doing CHAIN LUBE AND MAINTENANCE

@ksurk doing SEAT, TANK, FAIRING REMOVAL

MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE

@john z doing SUGGESTED ESSENTIAL TOOLS

@ducatiman doing USE OF MULTIMETER
Bumpin' this up...still need some volunteering to complete, any takers? Finally starting to take shape over there for newfolk. Simple, easy to understand, direct info ONLY, with no "add-ons". Urge members to take a look.....

https://www.ex-500.com/119-basic-maintenance/

#3 ·
Would this be the place to make New Basic Maintenance suggestions?

A couple if it is.
Cable inspection, lube, and adjustment.
Expand upon coolant level check to include all fluids.

#5 ·
I would love to do some more tutorials later.
Right now I was just thinking of ideas to make the list bigger. You know, so I can create more work for the Mods. >:)

Another one:
Light bulb replacements.

#6 ·
I would love to do some more tutorials later.
Right now I was just thinking of ideas to make the list bigger. You know, so I can create more work for the Mods. >:)

Another one:
Light bulb replacements.
I wonder sometimes why I like you so much. Maybe it's because you're an anal retentive, idealistic fool like I am :grin2:

I'm thankful for your enthusiasm in helping out, and, my goodness, you keep prodding my thought process. STOP IT! LOL!

Seriously, though, since this section is about basic info, maintenance and mechanical instruction, I'm wondering if bulb replacement fits here. It may or may not be a better fit in the next section to come. Gotta step back and ponder that one.

#8 ·
hi guys. if there are any tutorials that need doing without the need for photos give us a shout. unfortunately I don't have a bike I can use. the gen 1 is in bits for a well earned refurb and the gen 2 isn't really a EX anymore so useless for instruction purposes. I did have 100s of pics on the first restoration I did but they were on my albums in photo bucket. Doh.

#12 ·
hi guys. I'm on with the maintenance schedule but it's going a bit too slowly as there are a couple of technical issues hampering my efforts. the first one is the old wiki I thought it would be possible to screen shot the article and then transpose it to a format that could be used in a post, however the wiki is full of various links to other articles in the wiki. deleting these one by one is time consuming and then there is the problem that the script is too large for one screen shot so several has to be done re-attaching these into one script is proving difficult.

I thought about abandoning this altogether and going simple by copying and pasting the schedule from the manual but worried this may infringe the copyright laws of the manuals publisher. building one from scratch is the most obvious way but is taking a long time to do. sorry.

the other thing I have no idea about is how to post attachments in the middle of a page of text. all my attachments seem to end up at the bottom of the post so un-useable in this type of post. please advise on how to proceed. thanks.

#14 ·
Hey Duc,
There was recently a "necessary tools" thread as well as a "great to have". I can go through those and pick out the tools from there if you haven't gotten any other volunteers yet...

#19 ·
As its riding season with the "Pile" taking so much of my time....we'll move forward on this project during fall and w wi ...winter (a dirty word)

We knew it was't going to be 1, 2, 3 as this forum admin is new to us with initial procedural complications, the learning curve understandably taking some time, regardless we'll get there, some tweaking of existing stuff and addition of new. It'll be ongoing effort.
Of course some volunteering will be sorely needed. And yes, Fog, your stuff will be utilized, just not there yet but TY in advance.

#20 · (Edited)
@bpe @fog Thanks guys for the continued interest. It was a boatload of work getting the forum to the point it was at when the new section launched. We inherited a forum with some existing problems, then a succession of technical snafus, while trying to learn the ropes and implement our own ambitious agenda. That included a whole new learning curve because we were granted access to tools to physically change the forum, such as opening new forum sections.

Honestly, I couldn't keep pushing that hard because I was burned out, and had to take back a bit of my life for a while. So, no progress on the forum knowledge base project, but we'll be charging ahead with it in a couple months.

I want to also say, I am really, REALLY pleased with the current state of our forum. We have so many great members. I feel honored to have a part in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.