Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Southampton, Long Island

8K views 71 replies 10 participants last post by  ducatiman 
#1 ·
reposting, i put in wrong section

did the Gin Lane mansion run..on the way explored obscure Squiretown Park...spooky, boarded up buildings, desolate, awesome location overlooking Peconic Bay

Upper Red Creek road...obscure, disused, rendered obsolete by a new road

Finding these obscure Hamptons' gems a fine game I like to play.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: chindian88
#4 ·
An open invitation exists anytime.

A I495 LIE highway drone is necessary to get out there in an expeditious manner (about 45 minutes from Stony Brook area) ...from there, surprisingly nice back roads. I've got various memorized routes...south shore to the Ocean (mansion run)....north and east to Sag Harbor and Cedar Point.....further (way out) east to Napeague and Amagansett....all via back roads. Or continue all the way out to Montauk Point lighthouse(pic)

Keep in mind, an early start is necessary. I had invited Sonic in the past, though he seems to be a night bird, perhaps you could encourage him out to play, too.

Btw, GREAT break-in ride for a new Ducati...cough, cough. :grin2:

Attachments

Reactions: chindian88
#3 ·
My stompin' grounds...obscure, out of the way secret spots in the Hamptons, makes for some very nice riding. Before Memorial Day and after Labor day...summer crowds are non-existent, roads become desolate.

Attachments

#6 ·
^ hard to believe its in the Hamptons...but it is. Various (very special) spots within the townships of Southampton and Easthampton....some pics are near a state park...some a county park...some in extremely rich estate/waterfront areas.

In summer season, you go the wrong direction...heavy traffic encountered.

As I stated, in the fall, when summer crowd disperses...or early spring....its my virtually empty playground.
This was early spring...@Astro Pizza in Amagansett :grin2:

Attachments

#7 ·
peconic bay and ram island...did some rain riding today too.

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
as riding season is over (and I'm unable anyway) ....I've got the time to add a couple pics and dream/look forward to riding out there yet again.

Halsey house....built around 1648....amazing.

Attachments

#9 ·
Yes if you look carefully you can see the ghost of a great race track. I often look at it on google earth , if you raced it you can still see it buried under some golf crap.

FOG

#10 ·
I gotta tell you, FOG, it wouldn't take much to restore the track. I'm wondering if Rubin (the Wall St guy who bought the place) has that in the back of his mind.

But the legal implications would be massive. He'd be fighting neighbors, the Township...a losing battle. Big $$$$. For what? No spectators, no income. Sad indeed, from this to this (see pics) . I do miss it, stop there frequently, bringing some of those local EX folks too.

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
But for turn 4,5,6,7 you could have the track and the golf course too with a little ingenuity and concessions from the golfers. Imagine a golf race track combo.
Just as sites/sights go ,on the corner of Milstone road and Guyer road there is a unique house that must be owned by an artist ,as it now has large sculptures in the yard. I was going by there on my way to the track as they were building them the 80s and wondered what they were going to be. At that time the barrel house was just going up
FOG

Attachments

#12 ·
precisely where i was going with that...

Turn 1 has a track entrance now, up you come (backwards) up the front straight....about where start/finish line ( the old white building there for lap timing/scoring) is the new, massive golf clubhouse. It is well kept and draws a lot of golfers, parking always full in summer. Supposedly inside there is an area dedicated to Bridge vintage race memorabilia. This summer I'll make it a point to get in there and mosey around. I don't think they'd object.....I'll wear one of my 25 year old Bridge T shirts...yes I've got 2. And an old Bridge baseball cap too.

If I'm allowed in, I'll be sure to post pics.

BTW...Rubin owns a Bugatti and ran it out there all the time in Vintage classes.

#13 · (Edited)
Look at the size of this Southampton waterfront mansion in process of being built. The oceanfront right behind it, the bay right behind me, waterviews both sides!

The houses down there are inconceivably beautiful, but this is without doubt the monster.

The taxes, my Lord, oh the taxes. And mind you, this is "just" a summer home.

I'll go back and click a pic this spring/summer. It'll be completed, gated and landscaped, I'm sure.

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
Did the 120 mile round trip "mansion run" today (proving to myself I'm still able). The "gargantuan manschion" still under construction, over 3 years now. And through my most favorite Village of Southampton. Pre-summer traffic not bad at all, the old Duc done well.

Attachments

#15 ·
yet again for a retired bum on this cloudy, windy, cold 48 degree morning. Brrr...chose the VFR (lookin' for some heat wafting)

pre-Memorial Day midweek traffic sparse....Shinnecock East County Park was desolate, save a striper fisherman or 2.

Attachments

Reactions: jorge moros
#16 ·
So any local posers :surprise: want to get out and actually ride east next weekend? *Saturday June 8 or Sunday the 9th? Southampton mansion run? Montauk Point? Napeaugue end of the road run via back roads? North shore run?

Entertaining ideas....open participation encouraged and welcomed. Meet times/places to be determined.

I know dmende on board....I've reached out and await responses from some folks, including member @foxjog.

*weather permitting, of course. If need be we can flip days.

#17 · (Edited)
C'mon ya NY bums, check in. Contacted @foxjog off board, extended invite, sure he'll chime in here.

@dmende0919 to bring a couple of pals

new local forum member @Ruina invited

I've invited former co workers Alex and Nick...CBR600 and R6 mounted

As I'll be taking the 800....within this ride, at some point dmende0919 and I will be flipping bikes, fulfilling a promise I made over the past winter. Worth the price of admission right there.

Reactions: dmende0919
#18 · (Edited)
this is actually in the township of Easthampton...did a solo "the end of the road" run to Napeague out near Montauk Point today. Out via backroads, surprisingly light traffic, back via highways....bfm (big effin mistake) typical Hamptons traffic backlogs, but lunch at Astro Pizza was well worth it.

My final destination is desolate, hence "end of the road".....you make sure your battery is good and bike re-starts out there, brother.

Another picture perfect, cool, clear, windy VFR day....maybe 125 miles total? The VFR clicked over 42,000 today.

Attachments

Reactions: Devilsfan
#19 ·
Sunday looks like the day this weekend. As response has been dismal, to say the least, we'll stay private on this one.
Between 3 and 5 of us, I think.

#20 ·
we've had a cool, thoughtful invite from member @willi777 who is working the weekend at an ocean beach in Bridgehampton.

Dune road ocean beaches beautiful, a super destination however....will require riding through the belly of the beast...in legendary Hamptons weekend summer traffic no less.

Gotta see what the boys want to do....majority rules.

#21 ·
weather should be perfect, just 68 forecast as the high out there tomorrow, dress appropriately, keep the mesh jacket on the hanger

Today detailed the 800, its gleaming, so do suggest wearing sunglasses. :wink2:

#22 · (Edited)
a remarkable day, we caught it all. Unbeknownst to me, member @Ruina had cooked up a muffler swap with member @willi777. I'm not really sure he knew that I knew Bill. Surprised, I suggested doing it on the way out there, his street address sounded very familiar......it was right on our back road route (avoiding the traffic within Hampton Bays)...same exact road I take.
I have been riding right by his house for years out there! So it was great to see him, we'll be going on future rides together, now i have his phone # and address.

Muffler swap goes without any issues...we go on our way out east....one of the group (of 6) a Suzuki SV650 fella breaks his clutch cable within the Village of Southampton. A bicycle shop open within walking distance, 2 employees incredibly helpful hooked us up with a long bicycle cable and a clamp type barrel end, a 2.5mm allen and 8mm std wrench...i was able to removed the broken inner cable, thread in the bicycle inner cable, cut to length and secure both ends properly using the barrel end....even adjusting his engagement point to quite acceptable. Delayed us all a couple hours...but he was able to resume the abbreviated ride with the group. I'm confident he'll make it home to Brooklyn without issue, too with a functioning, though lighter duty, repaired clutch cable. The luckiest biker on the East Coast today.

Edited to add....confirmed he made it home to Brooklyn, bicycle cable repair working fine.

Later, we hit 2 epic Hamptons traffic jams, both later in the afternoon. Note to self....super early start out there during summer season!

I'm so glad I opted to take the comfortable VFR rather than the SS800.

A good, though trying, long day. A cup o' tea at home, knocked me right out for a nap.

#24 · (Edited)
outstanding weather...easily in the top 10 days of the year. Here I am 67 YO , retired, a recent cancer survivor riding with kids less than 1/2 my age. Life is great...thanks for havin' me on the ride! All said and done, even with the breakdown delay...I had a great time too.

Here was the SS800 prepped, look at the frakkin' shine on that thing. But at my age I'm glad I opted for the comfy VFR on the drone to the Hamptons.

Next ride, @dmende0919....we'll get that promise realized. No crowd...just you and me...mano a mano on part of my twisty North Shore route....its real Ducati territory. I think it'll make an indelible impression on you.

Frankly, I'm lookin' forward to riding your ZX too. Sounded great and running fine Sunday.

Attachments

#25 · (Edited)
This upcoming Saturday June 15 looks to be another spectacular day (sunny, high of 75) .... @dmende0919.....what say you to a North Shore run?

Early lunch on me at the secret, waterview pizza shop too! Really nice location, picnic tables outside right next to parked bikes.

Note this ride will be (respectfully) closed to all others. I'm fulfilling a promise and want the Ducati to make a certain impression, with no concessions or diversions. I'm not placing any limitations...want freedom of full use of the roads, some no holds barred serious, aggressive cornering involved here, allows using the L twin torque. We're gonna rock it. A few miles to gain some "feel"...and he'll be in Ducati land.

First and only time another has ever ridden one o' my Ducs...I'll likely be pickin' the pickles I just shat outta my ass as I see him leaning. Statement perhaps a bit too descriptive, but kinda true. Count on pics and a report here, no doubt.

#26 ·
"Note this ride will be (respectfully) closed to all others".

This became my motto when I became a racer. Only then did I notice how bad most street riders were. It came down to only my 2 sons (also Racers) or a very few well selected others. Tried to teach my Nephew once. "Just follow my line" and I look in the mirrors and see he's 4 feet off. " no I mean in my wheel track" same result. the he says but you went right to the the pavement edge, then back to the yellow line.
I gave up, as he had no Idea the the line I spoke of wasn't painted on the road.

FOG

#27 · (Edited)
Though my focus is solely based on street riding, we all have our individual riding styles and preferences, use of lines, negotiating tactics in traffic...blah blah.

As David and I will be trading bikes at some point on this ride, I'd prefer to limit outside influences, at least where within our control.

Just 2 of us, affording plenty of forward/back room between us, enabling full, unimpeded use of our chosen individual lines is precisely part of my thinking. Hopefully traffic will be of minimal interference.

Just want to add this ride and intended tactics not to be interpreted to enable any form of "street racing"....I'd like to think we're both mature, capable riders and know better than to pull stupid stuff.