Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Hello! Fresh EX500 Owner

3K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  ZeroFret 
#1 ·
Hello all! Just a girl from the PNW here. Been riding for a while now on my end; took a bit of a pause but aiming to lean back into it.

Recently bought a silver '04 Ninja 500R with 15k miles. Few quirks but runs and rides decently as is, and looking forward to fully tuning it up with some know-how from here. Mainly planning to do a mix of commuting and touring with her after some additions.

For background, my main ride for a good while was a '95 Concours ZG1000. After some life changes, it got too much for me to move around and really handle. Riding the Ninja however feels like a smaller and much more manageable version of it, and I fell in love with it the first time I rode it.

Lookin' forward to being here and perusing the forum!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
For background, my main ride for a good while was a '95 Concours ZG1000. After some life changes, it got too much for me to move around and really handle. Riding the Ninja however feels like a smaller and much more manageable version of it, and I fell in love with it the first time I rode it.
Some truth in that because the EX500 engine is kinda, sorta half of a Concours engine. About 250 fewer pounds doesn't hurt and neither does the narrowness, low center of gravity, and low seat height. A female friend of mine has had one for years and she is absolutely in love with it. (She has racked up well over 60,000 kilometers on it with no problems and the bike still runs smooth and strong.) A test ride on hers was what convinced me I needed to have one in my garage. These Ninja 500s are serious fun.

Run through the basic maintenance so you know where you're at, add a nice set of soft luggage, then go out and have fun. Welcome.

#6 ·
Welcome Luna! The Connie is a beast, isn't it? I have one now, had one ten years ago, with an ex500 sandwiched in between. I think the only thing you're going to miss is the power and the sound, but honestly, an ex500 in good condition, properly maintained, is no slouch in the performance department. It IS a lot like the Connie, but it's much lighter, easier to live with, and doesn't bake you in warm weather.

It's a really versatile, fun bike. There's been many a time I wish I had it back. I think you'll love it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.