Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Giving it a shot

7K views 50 replies 17 participants last post by  bpe 
#1 Ā·

New bt45 on hand.
Need to find out once and for all how hard or easy doing my own tire change is. Tire is date coded 0719, so I like that. Also have a chain and sprocket kit ready to go at the same time.

Probably be 2 or 3 months before I get to this, but will let you know how it goes. :grin2:

Disclaimer
bpe reserves the right to back out of this idea, and just pay $50 to have it done if:
Turns out to be harder than anticipated
Doesn't have the time to do so
Or any reason I see fit :surprise:

See less See more
#39 Ā·
Oh yeah, I've always found the valve stems to be cracking by the time a new tire goes on, so I always replace it regardless of condition.

Thankfully for you, the stems are relatively thick, so you should be good for another year, which I'm assuming is about how long it takes you to burn through a rear tire. Little bit longer for a front.

#41 Ā·
Looks like someone used some sort of bead-sealant glue on previous install. Or is that just corrosion?
It's tool marks where the tire changer scraped off the finish.

Under most circumstances I would say you should replace valve stems also. Any shop is legally bound to do so. I just figured since it was just replaced 1 year ago, and will need another tire in a year anyway, thought it would be fine.

Guess that's what I get for thinking :surprise:.

#42 Ā·
Up and running

Took it for a test ride, 23 miles, top speed of 70mph. All systems go :wink2:. Still need to test at a little higher speed before 100% satisfied on a valid balance, at least 80 mph, 90 would be better.

It's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it :rolleyes:.

#45 Ā·
What do you think of this? I bought some, used it a few times been on the shelf ever since. Its been over a year since you posted this. BTW I never had a problem seating my tires, but Cycle gear in Saint Louis did have, issues until the one that was called @mangosmoothie got there, he sadly is no there no more, but if I remember right he noted that people were well... just now doing it right... more out of laziness.

Giving something else a shot.

#44 Ā·
My first DIY EX front tire replacement

Automotive tire Spoke Rim Auto part Automotive wheel system

I was worried it would be difficult to seat. Cycle Gear had trouble seating this front wheel once. But it went surprisingly easy. And using Quick Trip air to do it. (Anyone that is familiar with Quick Trip air would understand that it must have gone easy, if it went at all.) Of coarse you can probably tell I used plenty of lube.
Installing the new valve stem gave me difficulty, until I figured out the trick to that.

#46 Ā·
well done it does get easier the more you do. I remember my first tyre. got it off easy putting it on a little more difficult. (flexible side walls) I don't have a proper compressor only a paint one. so could not get enough pressure to seat it. down to the station for inflation despite using plenty of lube no chance. 40psi nope 50 nope 60 still no seating. decided to take it back home inflated to use a big rubber hammer. half way home "BANG" "BANG" I thought it had exploded in the trunk.

nope just seated all by itself. now when I do one I pressurise as high as the comp will go "50psi" and leave it can take up to 20 mins waiting for the Bang but always does.

#48 Ā·
I posted in another thread that running a ratchet strap around the circumference of the tire presses the side walls closer to the rim and prevents a much air escaping. Takes a lot less pressure to seat the beads.

Another old school trick is bouncing the wheel as you filling with air.

I wouldn't use this method personally (unless dire emergency), but I've seen videos of lighter fluid being used to literally explode the tire onto the rim. The Top Gear Polar special showed this method as well.

#49 Ā·
I wouldn't use this method personally (unless dire emergency), but I've seen videos of lighter fluid being used to literally explode the tire onto the rim. The Top Gear Polar special showed this method as well.
I wouldn't recommend this method either. :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.