Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Got Screwed Over, Looking for Advice

4K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  Kevinl7778 
#1 ·
Hello,

First off, I'm new here, so this may be in the wrong spot on the forums. I've used this site to help me do some repairs but I've never actually posted on it.

Long story short, I ended up getting screwed over by some guy when I got a 1993 EX500 off of him and I will not be getting the papers from him. I've already had to put some money into it to fix it, and I want to get papers to make it road legal. I live in NS, Canada, in case it matters for any of this.

Is there anything I can do to make this bike road legal, short of getting papers from him? That would be next to impossible. I was thinking of trying to find a junked EX500 and swap my parts over onto a frame with papers. What model years would work? I was talking to someone about a parts bike and almost bought it, but realized its a 1988 Ninja 600 - would this be built on the same frame?

Thanks for any advice you can give me,

Tyler

#2 ·
You need to find a gen 1 parts bike so all of the fairings fit, 1988-1993 ex500. Im not sure of your budget or what you paied for yours but the ones on facebook marketplace range from 1500 to 3000 and all sema to be gen to. You may need to travel and or internet search a bit to find a gen one in your area.

A gen to with a blown motor would be a simple motor swap, most parts are interchangable but not everything. Fairings, handlebar bits, rear brakes, wheel and tire size, etc...

#3 ·
Hello,
I got a 1993 EX500 off of him and I will not be getting the papers from him.
Tyler
How on earth did you allow this to happen? Papers at time of transaction, no papers, no cash. Period.

A certain learning experience going forward.

#9 ·
Maybe these guys know the answer:
Nova Scotia Registry of Motor Vehicles
I can't post links because I'm a noobie here
but search "novascotia ca sns rmv registration"
and you will find the web page.

You will probably need some kind of proof you bought it, like a bill of sale. Maybe you could have them look up the VIN to see what the status of the bike is.

#13 · (Edited)
We are civil here. Honestly, from an old guy, if getting jacked on this EX is the worst that ever happens to you, you are blessed. Still, you have some really good links to follow. So what if it takes a day or three to sort out? It's a big deal now, but will soon become only a deal.

#14 ·
I bought TWO EX250s bike-in-boxes from storage-auction for peanuts many moons ago. Only catch was they had zero paperwork. All I got was receipt from storage outfit, not even bill-of-sale. Simply because they can't fill out "owner" sections of DMV bill-of-sale because they aren't actual owners and they don't have title in their name.

So.... I was able to get one titled and registered in Vermont due to lax regulations there. Then after year, I was able to transfer one bike to CA and get it properly titled. Second bike I left in boxes and gave away as EX250 DIY "kit". There may be some tricks like this up north...

https://advrider.com/f/threads/how-to-get-proof-of-ownership-for-a-bike-w-no-title.655441

#15 ·
All good info and once ytou figure out the papers you be talking to ducatiman about how to fix your carbs (bet you $1), I was going to mention vermont but he is in canada so I dont know if it works that way?

Find yourself a good frame for $150 or so and get your tools out.

#17 ·
First thing I would do is have the local constabulary run the VIN to see if it's listed as stolen.
If it isn't, the next stop is the MTO for a used vehicle package, to see who the bike IS registered to.
Try to contact the last REGISTERED owner. I am willing to bet the guy you bought the bike from is not the registered owner.
Here in Ontario, if I cannot reach the registered owner (you need documentation that you tried) the MTO has a procedure where you can swear an affidavit that you bought the bike in good faith, it is not listed as stolen and you made reasonable efforts to contact the registered owner, and they'll cut you an ownership.

Nah.... the FIRST thing I would do: Lose some of the attitude.

#18 ·
I am in a similar predicament. I got a 93 with 11, 000 on the clock. No title or bill of sale. Bike has changed hands 3 times in the last 10 years without being registered. Last registered owner died 4 years ago. I've checked with highway patrol in my state, it's not stolen. My next move is to file for a "quiet title" in my state(kansas). Next I'll need to make an attempt to notify previous owner, either certified letter or 3 separate notices in local paper giving the previous owner approximately 41 days to respond. If no one answers the court will award me a title. That being said, someone cannibalize a few parts so I need to locate and acquire all that is missing then I can start to figure out if anything is no longer working. I've never rode or built a bike before so I'm both excited and a bit intimidated about the whole process. I'll be relying on this site and it's members quite a bit in the coming months. Btw, I'm in kansas city, any members near me make yourself known so I can pick your brain from time to time.

#21 ·
C'mon.. here in Mexico/USA border no body cares about motorcycles papers. Even if it doesn't have plates. Just be sure it's not stolen, because if owner got you, you'll get beaten by his MC.

#23 ·
Wait so you traded your car for the bike, didnt get a title for bike and still have the car? That doesnt even make sense but if it is the case, then you actually came out on top. But i dont really believe that scenario.

Id ride it on the road without papers if you can get it insured somehow

#24 ·
#30 ·
Hey everyone! Just a little update on what has happened with the registration on the bike:

I had pretty much given up, after the DMV telling me that without getting in contact with the registered owner in Ontario, there was next to nothing I could do. The catch was even though THEY KNEW who it was registered to, I wasn't allowed to know because it was a "breach of privacy". They did slip up though, and while they were on the phone I heard them say his first name.

Fast forward a couple weeks, I put the bike on Kijiji for sale dirt cheap because it was useless to me without paperwork. A guy messaged me saying it looked like the bike he brought up from Ontario a few years back, which he traded for an ATV. I got him to dig through old emails (from almost four years ago) and he found the full name of the guy that it was actually registered to. I managed to find him on Instagram, and he had pictures of motorcycles so I knew it was most likely the right guy. I told him the story, that no one ever bothered to get his bike registered after he sold it, and he confirmed it was his first ever motorcycle when I showed him pictures (my first too). He's going to go fill out a lost form and get papers for the motorcycle and then mail them to me.

I absolutely cant believe the luck I just had, and how small of a world it is that we actually live in, but it looks like this 92 Ninja 500 is gonna be on the road for a while longer!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.