Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Resistance at regulator plug

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Themeangreen 
#1 ·
Hello, i recently bought a 2006 500r. After riding for about a month i found the battery dead one morning. Replaced with the agm sealed 210 cca. After warming up with the new battery i checked voltage at idle it was about 13v. Checking at 4k rpms its just below 14v(13.8). Checked alternator prongs acv at 4k rpm found 60v. Resistance on alternator prongs appeared to be .5 or .6 but its difficult to pinpoint resistance on multimeter. My issue is when i went to check the resistance on the 6 prong regulator plug my multimeter is showing nothing, or 1 which the multimeter shows by itself. Any ideas? Is my regulator bad? All resistances checked with ignition off...also old battery appears to have a few dry cells. Any help would be appreciated, i dont want to ruin my new battery with a faulty electrical system

#2 ·
your numbers seem to be ok....13v at idle and 13.8 at 4K is acceptable output from the charging system (stator/regulator)

The real problems occur when the stator output is impaired....providing inadequate voltage to keep up the battery and system requirements (bike dies, unable to start) OR when the regulator is unable to shunt adequate voltage....delivering 15V or OVER to the system. This is when batteries and wires fry, fuses and bulbs blow....

but your numbers seem to be ok, IMHO. Going forward, as our bikes are ageing...i'd recommend a voltage monitor of some sort is always a great idea. I'm using a Signal dynamics LED type on both my VFR and older Ducati. Features instant notification of faults rather than "riding blind". Easily affordable and installable.

IF your regulator does require future replacement..a genuine Shindengen Mosfet is, without question, the way to go.

#3 ·
Hello, i recently bought a 2006 500r. After riding for about a month i found the battery dead one morning. Replaced with the agm sealed 210 cca. After warming up with the new battery i checked voltage at idle it was about 13v. Checking at 4k rpms its just below 14v(13.
. Checked alternator prongs acv at 4k rpm found 60v. Resistance on alternator prongs appeared to be .5 or .6 but its difficult to pinpoint resistance on multimeter. My issue is when i went to check the resistance on the 6 prong regulator plug my multimeter is showing nothing, or 1 which the multimeter shows by itself. Any ideas? Is my regulator bad? All resistances checked with ignition off...also old battery appears to have a few dry cells. Any help would be appreciated, i dont want to ruin my new battery with a faulty electrical system
your numbers seem to be ok....13v at idle and 13.8 at 4K is acceptable output from the charging system (stator/regulator)

The real problems occur when the stator output is impaired....providing inadequate voltage to keep up the battery and system requirements (bike dies, unable to start) OR when the regulator is unable to shunt adequate voltage....delivering 15V or OVER to the system. This is when batteries and wires fry, fuses and bulbs blow....

but your numbers seem to be ok, IMHO. Going forward, as our bikes are ageing...i'd recommend a voltage monitor of some sort is always a great idea. I'm using a Signal dynamics LED type on both my VFR and older Ducati. Features instant notification of faults rather than "riding blind". Easily affordable and installable.

IF your regulator does require future replacement..a genuine Shindengen Mosfet is, without question, the way to go.
Ok great. Just thought it was weird i couldnt get a reading on the resistance. The Signal indicator looks likesomething i need to pick up, in the mean time ill keep an eye on the current going to the battery. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.