Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Help seat modification!!!!

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Bulldog 50 
#1 · (Edited)
Help to build new seat pan

Hello community,

I have installed a second hand ebay rear fairing, see pictures. I cannot sit on the bike now because I removed the original seat so there is nothing anymore to support my weight. I guess I have to make some bespoke supports but do not really know where to start. Can you help?

Cheers

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
It's pretty tough to offer advice by looking at those pictures. It looks like that piece is meant to sit under whatever seat works with it, which will not be the stock seat. The fiberglas by itself is not suitable to support anything, so it's apparently intended to sit on the seat supports. Since you bought this used, I hope you have info as to what bike or seat it's meant for. Once you have a seat that fits, the particulars of how it mounts will determine what you need to do.

#5 ·
Yes, I've done this many times in one of two ways.

Wood support as core
Build wooden posts, two per side. Then connect them sideways about 1/2-way so you have lateral box. These cross-pieces locate tops and bottom of posts. On bottom of posts, carve U-channel to wrap around frame. Attach metal-brackets as necessary to hold firmly to frame. Finally, wrap 2-3 layers of fibreglass around wooden structure to add strength and water-proofing.

Weld metal support
For race bikes where strength and light-weight are in conflict, I weld metal bridge onto frame to support tail-section. bolts from top through fibreglass onto metal-bridge (welded nuts underneath metal bridge). Lay down seat foam, making sure to cut holes to access mounting bolts. Ends up about 1/2 weight of wood structure.

#6 ·
Yes, I've done this many times in one of two ways.

Weld metal support
For race bikes where strength and light-weight are in conflict, I weld metal bridge onto frame to support tail-section. bolts from top through fibreglass onto metal-bridge (welded nuts underneath metal bridge). Lay down seat foam, making sure to cut holes to access mounting bolts. Ends up about 1/2 weight of wood structure.
Ahhh Danno that's great you here :)

The "metal bridge" what raw material do you use? and what steps are involved. I actually absolutly see the end result. I would love you give me more details and why not a drawing or a picture man!!

Thank you so much !!

#9 ·
As for raw-materials, we use rectangular 2x1" tubing and slice it in half. It's webs on sides that generates bending-strength for light weight. Use 14ga/2.0mm thickness for street bike use. For lighter-weight, I've used 18ga/1.6mm.

DiscountSteel.com - Mechanical/Structural Steel Rectangular Tube

Once you have finalised total length from wood mock-up, length of tubing will be known and ordered (1/2 needed since we're slicing into 2).

#10 · (Edited)
Hello,

So what I did I bought a spare tank bracket and did position it 10 cm back from the front tank bracket that holds the gas tank.

I did cut the spare bracket with an angle of maybe 15 degrees and now position it onto the rear frame, it will fit great as the spacing between the left and right frame tubes perfectly falls into place with the brackets.

Then there was too much space between the brackets hence I did cut a 2mm stainless plate and drill two holes on it. The front hole is held by the tank bolt and the second hole is held by the spare bracket hole.

Did weld the spare bracket and ready to go.

Photos attached

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.