Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

NY-LONG ISLAND service

33K views 419 replies 27 participants last post by  ducatiman 
#1 ·
Any local forum members need general services please keep me in mind. EX or other brands, 2, 3 or 4 cylinder, Jap or Euro, antique to new. Mods or accessory installation too. Carbs my specialty 8)

Enclosed clean, lit workspace, plenty of room, air compressor, tools.

Reasonable, down to earth rates. References available. PM to discuss.

Edited to add...as posted in another thread, I always have EX500 rail filters, oil filters, carb parts and kits, proper fuel line/clamps, coolant and fluids ON THE SHELF here for your convenience.

#2 ·
I am seeing, if I can secure up some "transportation" for my bike for one of these weekends. I will be messaging you with the details of what I think is needed, and let you go from there.

Ended up with a quote from a few shops around here, and almost **** my pants. I've been working on the bike myself, and I have a fried with a garage that helps me out, but he doesn't have all the tools needed for the bike.

Hope all is well mate! The Catskills are calling out to you! Oh, and I've grown quite a bit since we've last road together!

#3 ·
Ohmeegosh.....X....long time, where you been?

Yes sir, the shops are lookin' for an arm or a leg....or both these days.

PM me a laundry list, we'll get to it whenever you wish. When was bike last run?

And.....regards to the Missus.

#4 ·
Where've I been?

Dealing with the mire of public education in NYS and seeing how shitty it's really becoming. Its less about how much i'm being paid... honestly I am not complaining there, and more about the giant disservice it is to the students, at least the ones in grades 3 - 8. The amount of testing they take is fecking insane!

And I've been Married a year and a half now, so doing married things! Actually, I was almost about to trade my bike in and get something new (still might need to look down all roads) or... suck things up and look to get the missus up onto a machine. She has been wanting to ride for a while... though she is more of a standard bike/cruiser style bike. Been looking out for like a Honda Rebel 250 or something. Something nice for a beginner.

Otherwise... fat and happy! How the hell have things been with you? I thought you dropped off the face of the Earth there for a while. It's been really fecking quiet in this section of the forums.

#5 ·
yessir, the education system under heavy scrutiny, top to bottom. I feel for ya there.

Honda Rebel a perfect starter for her. And you, i had you pegged for a BMW guy down the road a bit, we'll see.

Me? Approaching retirement age , but have elected to continue working a few more years, my union benefits just too good to let pass by. Had successful surgery early February, I'm fine now, working, riding as usual.

AFA quiet here? I'm keeping my cards a bit closer to my chest. Working on a wide variety of bikes....EX's to a 1938 BMW (last summer) to V-Star cruisers (last weekend). Both my VFR and Duc are undergoing some suspension tweaks and minor visual mods.

Both bikes just about ready for the season, you may see me up there sooner than you think, so get that EX down to me to get it road ready. PM a comin.

"Grown quite a bit" and "fat and happy".....all that home cookin'?

#7 ·
Well Grown up in terms of riding and what have you.

Fat and happy, form the home cooking! My wife is a hell of a cook.

There is one change i forgot to mention, actually moved one exit north from where I was living 2 seasons ago. I'm up in Catskill now, right at the base of the Northern Catskills. Live near to where 23a (AKA twisty heaven) starts! I'm about a mile from the thruway exit... and the thruway exit up here has a decent hotel right next to it.

PMed you back.

#8 ·
Update-

I'm now "stocking" carb repair and some basic service parts.

I'm trying to facilitate local owners, making service easy, convenient and painless as I possiibly can.

I am at the ready, folks.

#9 ·
Hey man! Think it might be time to do some selective service on the FZ6. The brake fluid is quite brown, probably still original from 2008. I'm afraid to mess it up and leave myself with faulty brakes...

Xeserox, how's it going? I still feel bad about our abortive ride last year when it ended up thunderstorming. How's the riding going? Getting a little more confident on the turns?

#12 · (Edited)
here's a sample laundry list just performed within a "full service" and carb clean for a local member

I go above and beyond, when I see an item that needs attention, it gets done (without hesitation) within the service framework.
I try to hand an EX back ready to go, reliable, worry free.

Please keep me in mind for service work.

*****************************************************************************************
set valve clearances

new 50/50 coolant (from my stock)

verified cooling fan operational

gapped and torqued spark plugs

renewed wire ends and cleaned spark plug cap innards

reset misrouted wiring harness

replaced carb float valves (from my stock) , set float heights, performed some secret carb voodoo

cleaned all metering orifices and jets, drilled and removed pilot screw caps and installed new orings (from my stock) on pilot screws and performed further carb voodoo.

added the Kaw rail fuel filter (from my stock)

installed all new fuel lines and clamps (from my stock)

synched carbs

performed 2 oil changes to flush the gas (final oil is Shell Rotella T6 5-40 Synthetic)

used compressed air and spray cleaners to rid the oil pan area of gunk (no more fumes or smoke)

performed airbox aka "Fog" mod

set tire pressures

lubed chain using Maxima Chain wax

pulled and reinstalled rear wheel for your tire change

reinstalled bodywork (retapped the fuel tank wings, and supplied some hardware)

bled brakes front and rear (flushed brake fluid in front reservoir, fluid from my stock)

charged battery on tender

verified charging system operational (13.9 volts @ 1200RPM idle)

cleaned battery connections at cables and battery terminals

cleaned air filter

lubed tank cap lock and all key locks using graphite powder and/or paste where applicable

tightened RH handlebar

lubed and adjusted clutch and choke cables

replaced defective petcock with brand new

*****verified carbs not leaking into the crankcase any longer*****

got NYS inspection at local chopper shop

did some bodywork cleaning and detailing using carnauba wax

took for an extensive test ride.....running awesome! You're gonna love it!

*********Recommendations***********

change the oil in 500 miles (approx 9600 on odometer) then return to a normal schedule

replace missing tank mount pad and incorrect body hardware as discussed

replace clutch and brake levers at your leisure (i'll do at no charge)

source a replacement *manual* fuel petcock to keep on hand *just in case*

****************************************************************************************

#13 ·
Dang, Duc! How much was the full service including parts? Just in case I'm ever around LI, mind you ;)

#14 ·
F o J...whats a dang duc?

Don't forget, F o J...I did 10 years at a dealer when a younger fella, I know the drill, how to do it, how to do it well, how to do it quick.

This member also had a specific problem which brought him to me....a petcock gasket failed, along with float valves....and filled the crankcase with fuel. Diagnosed, fixed , I recommended the service to provide him a very reliable bike for the season (and beyond)

A dealer can't possibly compete with my pricing, quality of work and bang for the buck.

#15 ·
Haha I remember when I first joined the forum..that was my initial issue as well :D

I'd love to drop by when I get the funds for a good tune up :)

#16 · (Edited)
let me know when you're on the LIE (Long island Expressway)

also, more extensive projects are available

Pic...Kz750LTD yesterday and today

should be a runner tomorrow sometime

#18 · (Edited)
KZ750 session 3 engine assembled and complete....startup attempt after extensive carb massage ....no spark

back to the drawing board tomorrow

#19 ·
ducatiman said:
KZ750 session 3 engine assembled and complete....startup attempt after extensive carb massage ....no spark

back to the drawing board tomorrow
This is my bike we're working on, FYI.

An exhaust stud broke off in the worst possible spot, we got it out.

Short of a few wiring kinks and no-spark, we're good to go. The rest is basic assembly and then test riding. Chain and sprockets WILL require removal in the very near future, with a tire change soon after.

Regardless, we've done some awesome work. Ducatiman is absolutely a godsend of mechanics.

I've got a bunch of photos to share, which I will do once the bike is running. Effectively, we took two bikes and made one. Everything from the carbs to the engine to the damn wiring and headlight is all a combined effort of two bikes.

#20 ·
session 4....now have spark, but i think cam timing is off. Try again tomorrow.

This thing fighting us every inch of the way, but we'll get it.

#22 · (Edited)
session 5 .... starting and running fine. As ultimately diagnosed yesterday (after hitting the proverbial brick wall).... valve timing was in fact, off.

Both cams were advanced 1 tooth on the chain, i corrected early this morning and bingo...she runs.

Diagnosis and repair went to the next level on this one.

Shiroun got him the bargain of the century, and as a bonus, while in there yesterday..checked valve clearances, all within spec.

And I'm done, taking the rest of the day off!

pic attached...this is the correct position for exhaust cam for this machine...1 tooth off...she's a no run.

#23 ·
ducatiman said:
session 5 .... starting and running fine. As ultimately diagnosed yesterday (after hitting the proverbial brick wall).... valve timing was in fact, off.

Both cams were advanced 1 tooth on the chain, i corrected early this morning and bingo...she runs.

Diagnosis and repair went to the next level on this one.

Shiroun got him the bargain of the century, and as a bonus, while in there yesterday..checked valve clearances, all within spec.

And I'm done, taking the rest of the day off!
Do you want me to bring a 6 pack for you when I come to get the bike? I think it's well deserved.

I ordered new tires all around, caliper rebuild kits (FROM THE UK NO LESS!), a new front master cylinder, and my girlfriend to come visit so we can ride.

The total cost for the bike, excluding ducatiman's payment (which -- considering everything would have cost around 3-5k at a shop, is absolutely a bargain) is roughly $1600. I haven't ordered my new sprockets or chain, I want to do about 600 miles of low-speed riding before I drop the money for those, albeit they're included in the final costs.

Buying a parts bike was definitely worth it, and hiring ducatiman for his help is something I would do time and time again. Why? Because he's one of the most knowledgeable motorcyclists I've ever met.

Now if it hadn't been 90 degrees out we MAY have gone for a ride (not on this bike, no brakes could be a problem). But sadly it is.

#24 · (Edited)
^ Thanks for your comments, Shiroun.

How about a bottle or 2 of Ommegang Abbey Ale? Delicious.

The underlying problem on the KZ was unusual, challenging to diagnose, and the whole engine swap, carb work, and basic prep and tuning marathon sessions exhausting ......but also provided great satisfaction when it started this morning!
The hurdles (1st locked engine, broken stud, spark difficulties and cam timing) provided drama and tested me. But dammit, we did it!

I've posted this time and time again, I've never met a forum member I didn't like.
I'm glad its all worked out for you.

An early Saturday morning ride for me, I deserve it!

Pic...the '80 KZ750 LTD completed and running

#25 ·
ducatiman said:
^ Thanks for your comments, Shiroun.

How about a bottle or 2 of Ommegang Abbey Ale? Delicious.

The underlying problem on the KZ was unusual, challenging to diagnose, and the whole engine swap, carb work, and basic prep and tuning marathon sessions exhausting ......but also provided great satisfaction when it started this morning!
The hurdles (1st locked engine, broken stud, spark difficulties and cam timing) provided drama and tested me. But dammit, we did it!

I've posted this time and time again, I've never met a forum member I didn't like.
I'm glad its all worked out for you.

An early Saturday morning ride for me, I deserve it!
I would have (potentially) come for that ride!

I looked in stores near me and I cant find that ale! ???

That stud scared me, I thought I royally fucked us.

Also I've got all the parts except for the brake pads ordered. I'm excited!

#26 ·
my North Shore local loop into Huntington, all back roads north of 25A.....much too hot, even at 7AM this morn. home by 9:15.

Don't worry 'bout the Ale.

to RECAP the (almost) painstaking but efficient progression:

July 2 removed locked up engine, installed replacement engine in frame
July 3 completed engine installation, 1st start attempt...no spark
July 4 attained spark, still no start (diagnosed valve timing problem)
July 5 valve timing corrected and engine running
July 6 completed as agreed, awaits transportation home

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.