Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Finished Project

5K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Gedde 
#1 ·

I finally finished my 2000 Kawasaki Ninja 500 rebuild. This is my first motorcycle and first project. It was a long road, but I can finally reap the rewards. Here is a list of all the things I have done to the bike that I can remember.

*New rotors front and back
*All Balls wheel bearings front and back
*Rebuilt brakes front and back
*New brake pads front and back
*Three wire speed sensor
*New Michelin Pilot Street Radial tires
*Cut fork springs and added spacers
*Rebuilt forks
*Digital gauge
*New headlight with led running lights/turn signal upgrades
*All Balls steering stem tapered bearing
*Denali sound bomb horn
*Rebuilt carbs
*Valve adjustment
*New battery
*Flasher module
*CoP ignition coils
*Relocated electronics under seat
*FOG mod (air box hole, K&N filter, carb adjustment)
*FOG bones
*SV-650 shock
*RK racing chain
*New handlebar grips
*Bar end folding mirrors
*New throttle cables
*Shorty levers
*LED taillight w/ integrated turn signals
*Alarm system
*Various frame modifications for under seat storage compartment
*Media blast and paint entire bike
*New radiator
*New pipes
*Oil and filter change
*New upholstered seat
*New thermostat

See less See more
#4 ·
The SV650 shock went in easily with the FOG bones. No other modifications were needed. I can not compare it to the stock shock because when I purchased the bike it did not have the stock shock on it. I'm not sure what shock it was, but it felt too soft for me. Between the SV650 shock and the stiffer front end, it feels much better. If you do decide to add the shock and FOG bones, I would take the center stand off as it will no longer support the bike due to the increased height. I had mine on the center stand with a board underneath and it tipped over.

#8 ·
I bought the headlight cheap on ebay. The turn signal lights were garbage and were mounted very cheaply so I removed them and epoxied a PVC coupling to the headlight. I then put some LED signals inside a PVC end-cap which in turn slides into the PVC coupling. It turned out well and now I have LED turn signals. I also had to use Bondo on the headlight because the molding process left an ugly indented seam in it. I have about 400 miles on the bike since I installed it (an hour of which was in heavy rain) and it is working fine. If I had to do it over again though, I would spend the extra money on a headlight with a better build quality.

#13 ·
@DannoXYZ
Tank, headlight, air box cover, wheel fender: Restoration Shop Jet Black w/ High Gloss Clear
Wheels and Frame: Restoration Shop Victory Red w/ High Gloss Clear
Motor, swingarm, most other parts: Eastwood Ceramic Engine Paint Matte Black w/ Flat Clear
Exhaust, carbs, brake pedal, few other small parts: Rustoleum High Heat Silver & Black

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.