Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Starter Clutch not engaging all the time

3K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  bpe 
#1 ·
I have a 2007 Ex500. New starter, new battery, new starter relay. Sometimes the starter clutch doesn't seem to be engaging.

One of two things:

1.) the starter clutch is worn out

2.) the Rotella t6 5-40 I put in it is causing the issue.

Bought the bike with 13k on it and it ran great. Either it's coincidence or it's the oil.

Opinions?

Thanks

#2 ·
Oil with friction modifiers or labeled gas saving or synthetic are contrary to the working of the clutch. Three rolls are driven by a cam to engage the inside rim of a drum. They are driven by light springs ,but require a bit if friction to fully engage or lock to the drum.
So check you oil container for any of the no no’s

Fog

Reactions: VAEX500
#3 · (Edited)
So I am guessing based on that the Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W-40 is the issue? (Sorry I assumed since it was rated JASO, JASO MA/ MA2) it was okay). I'm also reading a lot on this forum with people saying they use this exact oil.

Should I drain and refill with Rotella T4 15W-40?

Thanks for the quick response.

#7 ·
Well I went out and tired it again and it wasn't catching. It's definitely much better than it was. I'm going to let it sit overnight, ride it tomorrow, and see what happens.

I have a new starter clutch in hand if it's still doing it after the next few days I will go ahead and replace it.

I'm guessing the springs are worn and the extra slickness from they synthetic oil didn't help.

#8 ·
My thoughts on it are, I 100% agree with fog that the synthetic oil led to the clutch slipping. But once it started slipping damage has occurred to the clutch that makes it prone to more slipping, regardless of the oil. I think the fact that yours is better but still not perfect more or less confirms this.

I don't put too much stock in the possibility that the springs are worn to the point of the issue. But I'm only basing this on the history of mine going tens of thousands of miles with out issue.

#10 ·
While I have you all on board, let me ask one more thing.

For the starter clutch replacement I'm reading a lot about make sure it's lubricated. Is this necessary or is it okay to put in in dry and then assume the oil will pull up to the mechanism.

If it needs oiling before hand what should I use?

Thanks

#15 ·
Update: The issue is pretty much gone. I had one failure to engage yesterday then drove half an hour. It’s been working 100% ever since.

I’m going to keep following up for a bit just so if anyone searches this forum for the same problem they can confirm that Fog was correct.

Synthetic just isn’t good for this bike. This is a fact, not an opinion

#18 ·
The welds may already be broken and would account for the intermittent slippage.
I would recomend a inspection. if it is the weld ,it will eventually slip completely and strand you.

FOG

#19 ·
Pull it off and look for flat spots on the rollers, give the rollers a light coat of iol fram a rag and throw it all back together. If the weld fog is refering to is broken you should be able to see it and order the replacment.

#20 ·
The weld will show thin cracks don't think it OK if it is only welded in 4 places it's junk take it to a welded and have it re welded all the way round.
a replacement will break too, they all do.

FOG

#23 ·
Thanks for the update.

Just curious, could you notice any wear at all on the old rollers compared to the new ones? Maybe small flat spots on the round portion? And did the old springs look compressed at all compared to the new ones?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.