Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Any good bike locksmiths in NYC area?

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  KevinDane 
#1 ·
Looking to make a new key for my bike

#3 ·
If you don't have original, get one made from key-code under helmet-lock. I called around to about 5 different locksmiths and one of them had correct software to convert key-code into cut-codes for cutting machine. Made me 2x master-keys from scratch without even having key or lock in hand. Went home and tried it, worked perfectly! Stashed one of them away in safe.

#4 ·
Danno, you were lucky. When I bought my EX a few years ago, it came with only one worn copy of a copy key that was cut on an emergency blank. I figured I'd get the code off the helmet lock and get several new ones cut using the code. Unfortunately, the code on my bike turned out to be associated with 2 different profiles, neither of which matched my existing key and locks. It turns out the databases are not entirely error free so cutting from the code, while desirable, is not possible in every case.

I wound up ordering some correct blanks off ebay and cutting my own. (Yup, I'm a determined bugger.) My hand made perfect key only comes out of safe storage when I need to make another copy for daily use. My local locksmith (there's only one) turned out to be totally useless so I get my copies made at the hardware store. The moral? One good, unworn key stashed in a safe place saves a lot of hassle when the everyday key (inevitably) goes missing. I also keep a spare taped in a hidden spot on the bike in case I lose a key while I'm out riding.

#5 ·

I wound up ordering some correct blanks off ebay and cutting my own. (Yup, I'm a determined bugger.) My hand made perfect key only comes out of safe storage when I need to make another copy for daily use. My local locksmith (there's only one) turned out to be totally useless so I get my copies made at the hardware store. The moral? One good, unworn key stashed in a safe place saves a lot of hassle when the everyday key (inevitably) goes missing. I also keep a spare taped in a hidden spot on the bike in case I lose a key while I'm out riding.
Cool! I would never have thought about doing that.

#6 ·
Locksmithing is a serious racket in the west.

The amounts that a body can be charged for a simple job like an emergency car unlock, for example, in Ireland could be over $200.

Where I currently live, if I need a key for a car or a bike; I'll just go and get the locksmith, tell him what kind of vehicle it is; he'll grab few blanks and go with me and then cut a key by hand in around ten minutes with just a couple of files.

On a bike I have him use the seat lock to shape the key to open, and on a car the passenger doorlock - because these have less wear and give a better quality finished key than using the moto ignition or drivers door lock barrel.

I've never paid more than $5, including the blank keys and the guy's time.

#7 ·
I've never paid more than $5, including the blank keys and the guy's time.
Jeez, he any good at electrical? :grin2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.