Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

hi all! just got a '95

968 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  muppetdungeon 
#1 ·
Hey, I've looked around enough, and I think its time for an intro post. I got a red 95 with about 11k miles earlier this month and it's been a fun ride for the $1k

Service work so far:
carb overhaul
valve clearance adjustment
oil change
new fuel lines

#6 ·
thanks! this is my first street bike, but i grew up on dirt bikes (15 years) and have some experience working on bikes, lawnmowers, etc. i knew id need to do some maintenance to this to get it going, and i wasn't too far off. the carbs were pretty beat up and needed a good cleaning/new screws

in the sea of hilarity that is being the fourth(or more) owner of a 25 year old bike, while changing the instrument bulbs today (two were out), I broke one of the 10mm bolts that holds the dash cluster in place

#7 ·
thanks! this is my first street bike, but i grew up on dirt bikes (15 years) and have some experience working on bikes, lawnmowers, etc. i knew id need to do some maintenance to this to get it going, and i wasn't too far off. the carbs were pretty beat up and needed a good cleaning/new screws

in the sea of hilarity that is being the fourth(or more) owner of a 25 year old bike, while changing the instrument bulbs today (two were out), I broke one of the 10mm bolts that holds the dash cluster in place
I like people who know how to turn a phrase :grin2: The ex-500 is really pretty straightforward and easy to work on, cheap to own, but it's a surprisingly capable all around bike. Kawasaki built them for five years, did a minor redesign to correct a few weaknesses and improve it overall, then didn't change a thing, except for color, for the next fifteen years. It sold well for all those years, because it was inexpensive and a lot of fun. It still is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.