Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

axle block/chain adjuster questions

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  yorkie 
#1 ·
The bolts and nuts on my chain adjusters are looking tired. One's slightly bent. The threads are flattened in places. The nuts are rounded. They still work but I'm trying to get the bike overall in better condition, avoid potential problems.

I removed one today, thinking it would be a simple matter of replacing the old bolts with new, but then realized something I have not notice before. The axle block and bolt seem to be one piece (?). I don't get it. Seems like it would have been easy to make a block with an exchangeable bolt. Or am I missing something?

I looked for aftermarket replacement blocks/bolts, and found zero that fit. I realize there are some used ones out there for our bike but the ones I have seen pictured don't look a heck of a lot better than mine. So I'm probably going to try to straighten the bolt, use a thread file on them, find some new nuts for them. I have already had trouble finding two different sized nuts that fit that bolt at the hardware store.

Question one, before I do this, does anyone know of an aftermarket replacement?

Question two, is there problem with using the same sized nuts on the bolts (other than it would require me to carry two wrenches of the same size in the tool kit)? I even considered using something like a wing nut on the outer bolt, but worried that might get knocked loose somehow.

If any of you have any pointers/experience with this, love to hear from you.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Question #1: Not as far as I know but they can be gotten new for about $25. (Kawasaki part # 33040-1116)

Question #2: Not a problem, other than the inconvenience you mentioned. The thread size is 8X1.25mm. Once the axle is properly torqued, the adjusters are just along for the ride, so anything that doesn't fall off will do the job. I got tired of the double nutting and replaced the 2 nuts with a single nyloc on each side which worked fine. Don't trust the index marks. They were accurate on my EX but others have reported the marks to be way off on their bikes.

#3 ·
Thanks so much. I will probably just order a couple of new ones. And I will think about the nylocs option too. I do not trust the index marks. I usually measure from center of swing arm bolt to center of axle. That said I'm thinking of getting a chain alignment tool of some kind. I know this string thing is best but I have yet to master that.

#4 ·
mine were poor on the gen 2 [gen 1's are different] fixed mine in about an hour. remove blocks hold in vice cut off the threads flush with block drill out the old bolts slide in new high tensile bolts with the heads cut off weld in place fit to bike with single nylock shouldered nut. job done.

#7 ·
The String Thing

You can read, just by a ball of mason chord and doo the string thing. You'll love yourself in the mourning.'Be sure to do the Rocking of the forks first and the vertical phase last

FOG

#11 · (Edited)
The Ninja 250 and 300, the KLE300/Versys 300, and ER-500 swingarm chain adjusters are all the same as the ones used on the 2nd gen 500 swingarm. You will have better luck finding a nice used set since they're newer, or as mentioned above, new ones are still available for $17.54.

#18 · (Edited)
If this is the case, Amazon has some trick alloy adjusters that would do what you want for little money. Some of them even have trick lift spool mounts built in. Like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-A...inja+300+Axle+adjusters&qid=1571517483&sr=8-1

The lower portion that sticks out is threaded to accept lift spool bolts. I don't know if these will work, but if the don't, there are others that should with a little modification......sean

#14 ·
Yorkie, this is a different topic but I was wondering if you could tell me more about the standard chains you use. I read on another threat that you used them, and tried sending you a message through this site but not sure if it worked. I'd be interested in hearing about the brands you use, how often you have to tighten them, how long they are lasting for you. Would greatly appreciate any info you can give me about them. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.