Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

New Guy, First Post

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Springer 
#1 ·
Howdy, I recently acquired a 1986 EX 500 and it needs some work. I'm sure I'll have many more posts.

Right now, I'd like to know if there is a link on here for a drawing of the motor, similar to the break - down specs that the parts suppliers have. IE: Bike Bandit or Parts Outlaw. How about anything related to the Clymer or Haines manuals?

I've been riding Suzuki Intruders for the past few years. They also have a site, similar to this one.

On my EX 500, there is a part > dead center, in front of the motor block. 2 bolts hold it in and a third, smaller one, is in the center of that part. I've taken it out and it seems to be spring loaded and it is oily. I'm wondering what it is or does and just looking for a quick answer here or I'll copy / paste this question to a different thread.

#2 ·
On my EX 500, there is a part > dead center, in front of the motor block. 2 bolts hold it in and a third, smaller one, is in the center of that part. I've taken it out and it seems to be spring loaded and it is oily. I'm wondering what it is or does and just looking for a quick answer here or I'll copy / paste this question to a different thread.
Welcome🏍
That part is a Cam Chain Tensioner
It applies tension to the cam chain

It would be best to replace the one you have with one from a '94-'09 modal.

#3 ·
OK, and thanks for that info. I'll research Cam Chain Tensioner and post in the appropriate forum. I'm waiting for a Clymer Service Manual from the library.

Is there a way to SEARCH (for CCT) on this site. I've tried 2 searches and it keeps bringing me back to the Forum. Of course, I'm new here.

Did I do wrong by removing the CCT? It seems that my pistons are locked when I put it in and move when it is out > when pushed in 6th gear. This is an old 1986 racing bike and it has been sitting for a long time. I'm just getting into it.

Thanks to your last post, I see that I have a GEN 1 CCT.

#5 ·
Thanks guys, I'm good for now. I'll wait until I get a Clymer book on the bike. Then, I'll go thru the top end > to see how it looks inside. I suppose I'll have to re-time this thing anyway.

This is an old bike and it has been sitting for a long time. I was told that it last ran 2 years ago. I would have done the top end anyway but I was hoping to at least fire it up once, before I got into it.

BTW... I'm not finding many parts for a 1986 EX 500 and more for 87's. Is there much difference?

Thanks again.

#7 ·
A Saturday evening update. The sticker on the neck says 86. No matter to me... I'm Ok with 87 - 93.

I was at Daytona Biketoberfest last weekend and it rained all over everything.

I started to remove the top end today for a good look see and cleaning. I'm using a EX 250 Haines book from the Library. I have a Kawasaki Service Manual in transit. I usually use Clymers.

I suspected and checked the valves before undoing anything > because the bike was very hard to turn over, when pushed in 6th gear. (It is a junker that I got cheap and I'm not familiar with these machines). This Forum is a big help.

I was trying to separate the head from the cylinder and checked this forum during lunch.

I'm going to re-post something of importance that I came across here. It was originally posted by FOG back in 2014. Here it is... "The problem is... this engine is a little like Humpty Dumpty. Once you take it apart all the kings horses and all the Kings men cannot put it back together again, At least not if they don't hone the bores and lap the head and cylinders flat again. If you not prepared to do these things you will fail with a smoking leaker." FOG

I also saw the same recommendation in my Clymer Manual for a Suzuki Intruder. It makes sense. I usually use a piece of glass for a smooth (lapping) surface.

For now, I'll leave well enough alone. I'm just trying to get this engine running. I'm not about to hone the bores and lap the head and cylinders flat again.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll reinstall the cams and reset the timing. The valves on #1 cyl were super tight. I can't figure out the Generation 1 Cam Chain Tensioner. It may be damaged and is missing a bearing (as pictured in the EX 250 book).

I'm supposed to count 24 pins on the cam chain. (Which I just realized that I DIDN'T do when I checked the valves. > I figured I'd save time and only do it when I put it back together. Besides, the EX mark and the Ex Lobe also seemed to be out. = all the more reason to. Do you have a Dumb Ass Emoji around here?) I'm wondering if it jumped its timing? Due to a bad chain tensioner or stretched cam chain.?

More later... I'm still learning this site. If this motor runs, then I'd like to have info on posting photos. I'll switch to the other forums later.

#8 ·
I'm using a EX 250 Haines book from the Library. I have a Kawasaki Service Manual in transit. I usually use Clymers.

I can't figure out the Generation 1 Cam Chain Tensioner. It may be damaged and is missing a bearing (as pictured in the EX 250 book).
Working on a 500, yet you repeatedly reference using a 250 manual. If that is so, carefully beware your specs, procedures and pictured references. In fact, I'd suggest to stop and await the correct 500 manual you've ordered.

Reactions: bpe
#10 ·
Thanks for your concern. Ex 500 Torques and Specs are easy to find. Manuals are for the Removal and Install procedures. The 250 looks to be the same engine - only smaller. Initially, the bike was semi- locked up. The pistons are now turning freely. I suspect that a valve was closed - creating high compression but that isn't good. Maybe something is bent. All I can do is my best to fix it.

#12 ·
Thanks for the tip in your carb service Ducatiman, "of using a hunk of .013" guitar string for those pilot jets." I've been flossing mine.

I've decided to wait for the service manual. Preliminary tinkering with the head shows a stretched cam chain and possibly a bent port side exhaust valve, since the motor turns 3/4 of a revolution & then locks up. Probably high compression because I couldn't adjust those two valves - to open.

This is a retired racing bike. I got it as part of an estate sale, so it has been sitting a for a long time. I didn't go wrong since it came with really nice CR special racing carbs.

I'm trying to figure out the racing gas that is in the tank. (I'll get to that forum - someday). It isn't all varnished or smelly like very old - regular gas. It is green, like it has 2 stroke oil in it. (Although, I've seen gas about 10 years old and it solidifies to green and I still saved the carbs). Any Thoughts?

For now, this bike is going off to the side. I've got two 1400 Intruders and some lawn tractors to work on. I'll continue to check in since I'm trying to learn about these motors. When I get back to this bike, I'll start posting in the technical section.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.