Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Front turn signals or brake light?!

994 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  jluva007 
#1 ·
All of the sudden my front signals stopped working, seemed to be the leds. Changed bulbs and the incandescent ones still worked. Had another set of leds and popped them in and they worked so thought somehow they went bad. Put it all together and realize I have no rear running lights/brake light. Fuse was blown, put a new one in and great! But now no turning signals? Take the fuse out and the front turn signals work put it in they don’t!? Any suggestions or ideas on where to start looking would be appreciated, thanks!

#2 ·
Something is wrong with wiring if lights work with fuse pulled. Someone probably rigged something up to bypass fuse that kept blowing. Which is dangerous because you can melt wires or fry ECU. Trace ALL wiring (every single millimeter) and compare to stock diagram. Remove any non-stock wiring.

#3 ·
Sorry may have explained wrong, Front turn signals and rear brake lights won’t work at the same time. It’s one or the other, I pull the tail light fuse out and the front turn signals work. They were working just fine that’s why I’m dumbfounded! Has to be something I did but don’t see it and went over it many times.

#4 ·
No, you explained correctly. Factory circuit should have both front & rear in parallel. If fuse is pulled, both front & rear stop working.

Somehow, you've got extra wiring now that bypasses fuse and works front. Find that wiring, rip it out, and restore back to factory configuration.

Trace one wire at time and trace it from end to end and compare to factory wiring-diagram.
Then do next wire from end-to-end.
Then next wire.

At some point, you'll find something non-standard. Done either by you or someone else, doesn't matter. Revert back to factory configuration and it'll work properly.

#5 ·
Working this week so not going to really get down to figuring out what going on. Like I mentioned I put in aftermarket front turn signals with LEDs running. Worked great till I “fixed” a short wire! I had all 3 wires running and after reading and thinking I thought maybe it’s not liking the running light wire since the LEDs aren’t switchbacks? Anyhow disconnected the blue wire and voila the LEFT one worked fine! And the right only with an incandescent bulb....WTF? Something is obviously loose or shorting or something, I am not certified anything just a guy trying to save some money on labor costs and trying to figure this stuff out! Anyhow I’ll post more, hopefully with a positive end result!

#6 ·
Well case closed. I knew my wires job wasn’t f’d up! But for some reason it decided it didn’t like those LEDs anymore? Put in flashbacks and they are working like a champ! But I did re-wire some new turn signal sockets into the signal housings and heat shrank & soldered all the connections.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.