Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parts in, a fun testride reveals bike running fine. Starts instantly with touch of the button...NO flatspots through the RPM range....I tried to induce a hiccup between 5K and 6....modulating the throttle position in 2nd, 3rd, 4th....not happening.

Some background info...an '07, 7600 miles (just in time for its 1st full service) new spark plugs gapped/torqued, trimmed wires, cleaned insides of caps, intake valves .006", exhaust .009", carbs refurbed (replaced pilot jets with new), synched at idle using mercury carb stix, pilot screws carefully set for highest idle and best response, Fog airbox mod performed.

Other unrelated service procedures included...
*throttle snapback accomplished (cables were misrouted, misadjusted)
*changed brake fluids, bled both front and rear brakes
*major exhaust leak repaired
*minor electrical harness repairs
* verified charging system is operational
*lubed chain
* set tire pressures
*replaced snapped off coolant drain screw...drill/easy out...no more leaky
*changed oil and filter
*added rail filter within carb refurb

Needless to say, the owner is THRILLED, can't wait to pick up his "new bike" tonight. He's suffered with the exhaust leak and other issues since purchase. I have a feeling he'll be offering some insights and feedback in the Northeast section.

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

A quickie youtube video of an instant coldstart on subject machine, note no choke. Engine obviously not warmed...I limited revs to just 3K.

Vid taken on my phone, I uploaded and linked here myself, no help! Turnin' into a regular techhie.
Ooops, gotta watch turning the phone sideways...lol

·
Banned
11,553 Posts
Good work, you tekkie! Haha
My bike does the same.
(And no, Duc didn't have a hand in it or advice, it's me)

But may I,?
Not picking on you but for people who see it and don't know....
And it'll make for a much longer lasting machine....

Firing up cold start, letting run for all of 45 seconds and shutting down is a sure way to induce problems like milky oil from condensation.
PLEASE LET YOUR MACHINE WARM UP.

On the cold days when "it's too cold to ride" but you want to let the machine run... LET IT WARM UP.
That temp gauge is there for a reason.
On a cold day when on a short trip....? LET THE THING WARM UP.

Get that temp gauge up off that peg.

Did I mention....? Let it WARM up?

Thanks, Duc for letting me rant.

O_E_M

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
barge right in, man, just barge right in

within a service format, perfectly acceptable (sometimes necessary) to run for short periods....but thats a totally different subject, innit?

·
Banned
11,553 Posts
barge right in, man, just barge right in

within a service format, perfectly acceptable (sometimes necessary) to run for short periods....but thats a totally different subject, innit?
Yeah, sorry, Gordon.
Just fired up about another subject and it spilled over to yours.

O_E_M

1 - 7 of 7 Posts