Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I Just found this forum while researching for some parts.

A few weeks ago I just picked up this project bike for the winter. Came with a clean title and was only $50. The frame is straight and motor seems to be in great shape. It did come with the original exhaust as well its just not shown in the pic.

It is a 08 EX-500. I plan on stripping it down to the frame and getting the frame re-powder coated and turning it into a naked café racer.

Other than eBay what is a good place to search for a gas tank for this thing?

Also any other helpful Advice or anything that I should be aware of?

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
wow $50/clean title is an amazing deal! looks like a fun project. definitely have your work cut out for you. how good are you at wrenching? going by your name, i'm guessing craigslist in alaska won't have too many ex500 tanks but hey you never know. dunno how deep you plan to get into the motor but always worth checking valves on these machines, they tighten up fast as hell. if you spend a few hours on the how to section that covers the usual problems pretty well

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow $50/clean title is an amazing deal! looks like a fun project. definitely have your work cut out for you. how good are you at wrenching? going by your name, i'm guessing craigslist in alaska won't have too many ex500 tanks but hey you never know. dunno how deep you plan to get into the motor but always worth checking valves on these machines, they tighten up fast as hell. if you spend a few hours on the how to section that covers the usual problems pretty well
I'm decent at wrenching. I do all my own work on my other bikes. But this will be my first rebuild ever. So I guess I will find out how good I am. I will check the valves! Thanks for that

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
I'm decent at wrenching. I do all my own work on my other bikes. But this will be my first rebuild ever. So I guess I will find out how good I am. I will check the valves! Thanks for that
i think you'll be okay then! between decent wrenching skills and the goldmine of knowledge this forum has it shouldn't be that bad. they're old designs so pretty straightforward. saabnut had this amazing thread where he goes through some frame up restorations, can check it out for some inspiration

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
my advice, plan your project, work out what you want to do and how your going to do it, go over the bike and find out what you have and what parts you will need, make a list of both and start accumulating the parts in advance of fitting them.
when stripping it down take lots of photos, get a shot of everything where parts go, what their connected to, which way round the bolts go in, which connectors go where, that sort of thing then you have a record for reassembly.
as you strip it down inspect all the parts individually for wear and keep them safe in a container (suggest a big one) keep the parts together it's easy to lose something in the weeks/months between taking off and putting it back on.
inspect every part before assembly and rebuild/renew as required prior to fitting.
set yourself a budget and then double as it always cost twice what you think it will, buy a manual for it ASAP all the data and specs are in there, as well as tips for renewing parts and assembly. that new book will be pretty grubby by the time you have finished (don't ask how I know).
good luck and keep us up to date on progress if you need help just ask.
oh and before I go welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Alaska#1

·
Registered
2009 Ninja EX500r
252 Posts
I might add, Every single wannabe naked bike creator wants to strip the air box, don't. these bikes hate hate hate pod filters.

Also I would suggest before you get into tearing it apart, get it running first, and running good. The most important part is the carbs on these being gone through for it to be a runner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts