Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys :)

My question is twofold.

I'm was due for an oil change and I went to both Walmart and Canadian Tire.

I checked for Shell Rotella full synthetic and only CT had some.. I asked for 10w-40 as the manual specifies but when the oil was finally in the bike, I saw that it wasn't 10w-40 that the guy gave me like I asked but it actually was 0w-40 stuff... Do I have to take it out now ???

2nd; I checked for the Super Tech über cheap filter and couldn't find one, they guy told me they didn't carry that. Since all I could see in they alleys was Fram crap, I asked the guy at the auto counter if they had anything else. He took me to the garage and there was plenty of Pennzoil filters. So I brought one home for 5$. Did anyone had any reviews or experience to share with Pennzoil filters ?

Thanks a million :)

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
0w-40 will be a 40 weight when at OPTEMP the same as a 10w-40. One of the differences between a 0w-40 and a 10w-40 is the content of swelling agents that activate to make the oil less viscous (make a 0 weight into a 40 weight). a 10 weight is a 10 weight, but doesn't contain as much swlling agents to bring it to a 40 weight at OPTEMP.

As Multi-weights heat, their specific Viscosity @ temp changes. you'll be fine. HOWEVER...!

I wish i could find the source right this minute, however i cannot so take this for what it is. Penzoil filters are made in the same fashion as Fram filters. AVOID.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would not worry about it now, but I would stick with 10W40 in the future. Less spread means less chance of viscosity breakdown. What I have seen in used oil analysis is that 0W40s tend to break down to a 30 grade oil then thicken back up to a 40 over time.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys guys, you're all awesome.

Anyone has an idea about the Motomaster filters or the Mazda OEM ones ?

R

·
0 Posts
Knightslugger said:
Just get a pureolator pure one or Bosch Premium and be happy...
Easier said that done in Canada...I don't know if Frog's situation in Montreal is different than mine here in Ontario, but it's a real pain to find a filter that isn't a FRAM. Unless, I got to a bike shop and spend 25 dollars on a filter...

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Royson said:
Knightslugger said:
Just get a pureolator pure one or Bosch Premium and be happy...
Easier said that done in Canada...I don't know if Frog's situation in Montreal is different than mine here in Ontario, but it's a real pain to find a filter that isn't a FRAM. Unless, I got to a bike shop and spend 25 dollars on a filter...
Same here...

All I could find are Pennzoil, Motomaster (Canadian Tire home brand), Fram (it's everywhere :() and the OEM stuff (overpriced)..

·
Registered
221 Posts
Do you have NAPA in La Belle Province?
Go and get their Gold 1356 and spin it on at your next change. Made by Wix.
Around 10 loonies. ;)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We do have some, but they are more than 100km apart :-\

I guess I'll have to stack up on them

How about oil 2dogs ? Do you get it at Napa too ?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I like Motul semi-synthetic 10W40. That I buy at the dealership. Approx. $32.00/4L
...with the money I save on filters :)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks much :)

I

·
0 Posts
oil filters was a big discussion on my car forum recently. basically, stay away from:

fram - duh
penzoil - made by fram
Mopar
Quaker State - made by fram
Amsoil - internally contaminated from the manufacturer
Motorcraft - they change manufacturers randomly, so you never know what you are gonna get

Purolator is the top dawg, followed by Bosch and Mobil 1. but these are kinda expensive filters.
for the cheaper ones, get:

Wix
Napa Silver or Gold - both are Wix
AC Delco
Super tech!!!

here's some oil filter reads..
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Independentfool said:
Wix
Napa Silver or Gold - both are Wix
AC Delco
Super tech!!!
I'll look into the Napa and the AC Delco stuff. Aside from Walmart, where could ST be found ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Frog,
I just put in motormaster 10w40 4 stroke oil and cross ref motor master oil filter. Every thing is fine.I can get you the oil filter part number if you wish.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Orleans, thanks for the offer :)

how old in years and km is the engine you are running ? You never got any problems with those filters ? No leaks either ?

Wasn't sure if Motomaster oil had any anti friction agents added :-\

·
Registered
25 Posts
seems fine no leaks but then again no real miles on it yet.
Anti friction Ill real the label and take a pic of the bottle.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
super :)

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
hell, if you guys want i can ship you a hand full of pureone filters at cost plus shipping. if it puts your minds at ease i'm all for it.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pm'd

1 - 20 of 33 Posts