Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where to get a 1/4 turn throttle? Ive been looking all over the place and havent seen anything for an EX

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
the bar diameter is standard

7/8 of an inch

Why are you looking for this ? 1/4 is what you have, do you mean 1/8 turn ? That makes the throttle pretty much an on/off switch.. Not good for modulating through traffic :-\

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well its a track only bike, so I hope to be flying through traffic. Its just to get to wide open throttle I literally have to move my hand and grab more throttle. I just need to be able to get to WOT with less hand movement

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
allright, so 1/8th turn it would be ;)

since it's pretty standard I don't think it would be more complicated than walking in a motorcycle shop and ask for one ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Pittenger5 said:
Well its a track only bike, so I hope to be flying through traffic. Its just to get to wide open throttle I literally have to move my hand and grab more throttle. I just need to be able to get to WOT with less hand movement
I dunno Dolla-Bill, I have a stock throttle and you see what I do on it.

Go for tires, suspension and brakes first. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I got SS brake lines, and just put on some new EBCs, Im rocking some pilot powers for now, stock suspension, but I like the bouncing.
Coming up and out of 6 going by the tree house I literally have to move my hand to get to WOT. Then once I start setting up for 11/12 I have to let go of the bar, and if I dont fully let go Im on the brake and throttle at the same time, my glove tends to catch the throttle. Thats why Im thinking a 1/4 turn or 1/8 turn or whatever hte duece I need.

·
Registered
192 Posts
hes right, when you are making a track bike you really need to concentrate on suspension and tires first. get some dogbones from fog (regardless if you are getting a new rear shock) they help to dive through the corners easier, and you definetly need new front suspension (you will have difficulty handling the bike if everytime you brake hard, your front end dives for the ground.) you are on a half liter bike... if you want to pass people, you will have to be able to take the turns faster and harder than everyone else out there

·
Registered
19,365 Posts
Turn up your Idle to 3500 and you won't have to reach so far for the rest of the throttle. I'm not kidding it's a better way to go and reduces the tendency to slide the rear on shift while leaned.

FOG

·
Registered
19,365 Posts
The big black knob under the carbs.

FOG

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Not every rider knows the mechanics of his bike. I will grant you that most guys racing the EX do all or most of their own work, and there are a billion advantages to knowing every little detail about your equipment, but there are certainly people who can "do" without knowing "how."

I liken these types to the dyslexic piano savants who can't read a book, let alone music, but can somehow emulate exactly what they hear. Or those people who can tell you what day of the week it will be on january 19th, 2049 w/o blinking. Suddenly riding a motorcycle well w/o knowing where the idle control is doesn't sound so crazy... now if he asked which was the clutch and which was the brake :eek:

·
Registered
182 Posts
furyskater911 said:
hes right, when you are making a track bike you really need to concentrate on suspension and tires first. get some dogbones from fog (regardless if you are getting a new rear shock) they help to dive through the corners easier, and you definetly need new front suspension (you will have difficulty handling the bike if everytime you brake hard, your front end dives for the ground.) you are on a half liter bike... if you want to pass people, you will have to be able to take the turns faster and harder than everyone else out there
Listen to this man, he is absolutely right. I am a little jealous because my bike is still sitting mostly stock and tundrafiend who I ride with mostly is having a ball going to town on his bike. Right now what I would not give for just some dog bones, and some advice about what to do with my front end besides throw in the progressive springs.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ohh sorry totally forgot to say this. Use and R1 throttle tube, it is 1/6 of a turn as opposed to 1/8 which is a little more extreme. I know the 500 does not have that much power so going to WOT in the turn is not THAT dangerous it did upset my chassis once while at VIR with fiend and dad. The 1/6 should probably (I am not experience like fog or dad) provide just about a happy medium for anyone.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got one of the vortex quick throw trottles, but it wont fit with the collar that the throttle cables have. I dont know how to describe it. The metal part at the end that goes into the stock throttle. Is there any way to get that off, or do you get a new cable?

·
Registered
247 Posts
chutch said:
djgrom said:
Ohh sorry totally forgot to say this. Use and R1 throttle tube, it is 1/6 of a turn as opposed to 1/8 which is a little more extreme.
Does it matter what year of a R1 you use?
+1

I've been lookin for a 1/4 turn throttle for a while now. And i'm sorry Frog, but the EX does Not have a 1/4 turn throttle in stock trim, it's more like a 1/2 turn. i have to regrip to get full throttle, and on a street bike, i can't just turn the idle up. I'd thought about modifying the stock tube, but there's gotta be a bike out there whose tube would give the desired result and be a direct bolt-on....

·
Registered
19,365 Posts
Just curious about your one statement "I just can't turn the throttle up" Why? I race for 13 years with mu throttle set at 3500. Besides reducing the amount of twist, it softened the engine braking on overrun so that shifting in corners was possible.

FOG

1 - 20 of 22 Posts