Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I hope everyone is safe and healthy in these trying times.

Im afraid my reason for posting is not a positive one, my 87’ has a bit of a problem.

I sold it last month only to have it returned 30m later, not running. The lad that had bought it was left stranded after about 20 miles on his way home with his new bike.

The first thing I thought of was maybe the CCT had gone off, also maybe problems with disintegrated magnets.

I have a couple CCTs at home and both seem perfectly sound, thinking it might be exploded magnets I removed stator cover to find exactly that, exploded magnets.

I ordered a proper flywheel from RMStators, which I cannot recommend highly enough!! Brilliant stuff, magnets are well secure and shielded by a metal enclosure. Looks amazing and does the job.

Having it installed I fired the bike and left cilindre doesn’t go, at all. The bike is making a hellish clattering noise and I suspect valves on left cilindre went tits up. Or worse. 😭

I have good spark on both plugs, sounds to me like valves slapping the piston. But would bad timing affect only the left cilindre?

Please have a listen and let me know if you have any idea of what to do next.

·
Super Moderator
15,018 Posts
Eyeballs first.....engine cold...pop the valve cover, verify cam/valve timing hasn't slipped, check valve clearances for excess tight or loose, check all related cam/rocker hardware, visually inspect cam/valve function while rotating engine by hand, spark plugs removed to minimize effort. If nothing visibly obvious, follow with a compression test.

Did you ever upgrade to a Gen 2 cam chain tensioner assembly?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eyeballs first.....engine cold...pop the valve cover, verify cam/valve timing hasn't slipped, check valve clearances for excess tight or loose, check all related cam/rocker hardware, visually inspect cam/valve function while rotating engine by hand, spark plugs removed to minimize effort. If nothing visibly obvious, follow with a compression test.

Did you ever upgrade to a Gen 2 cam chain tensioner assembly?
I’ve got a couple gen1 tensioner only :(

would I have to drop the engine in order to check valves, etc?

cheers

·
Registered
135 Posts
I’ve got a couple gen1 tensioner only :(

would I have to drop the engine in order to check valves, etc?

cheers
You can pull the whole top end with the motor still in the frame.

I don't know if it's possible for a piece of one of the magnets to get lodged in the crankcase, contacting crankshaft or con rod.
[isn't there a passage from the side cover into the main cases?]

Meanwhile, can you start the search for a replacement used motor? Sorry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can pull the whole top end with the motor still in the frame.

I don't know if it's possible for a piece of one of the magnets to get lodged in the crankcase, contacting crankshaft or con rod.
[isn't there a passage from the side cover into the main cases?]

Meanwhile, can you start the search for a replacement used motor? Sorry.
Hi there, thanks for the advise.

I hope it won’t have to come to that, fortunately I own a second engine, but not sure if or how well it runs. I’ve popped the top cover off that one just to check and looks ok, although one of the valve rockers seems to be loose.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi there, thanks for the advise.

I hope it won’t have to come to that, fortunately I own a second engine, but not sure if or how well it runs. I’ve popped the top cover off that one just to check and looks ok, although one of the valve rockers seems to be loose.
I also must add the engine turns normally when I turn it manually.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Okay, it doesn't cost you anything to tear down the engine;
maybe it's just one broken piece, easy to get to, not too many gaskets, seals, etc.

You have a spare motor, so hope for the best, plan for the worst.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts