Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 90 Ex-500 with #1 cylinder flooding out. The carbs have been removed, cleaned, floats adjusted to 17mm, and a rebuild kit was installed at this time. I verified the floats were not sticking by using the 1/4" tube attached to the bottom of the carbs and ran the bike on the center stand. They checked out fine. If the fuel tank valve is in reserve or in the on position the bike will only run for a short time before cutting out, so I have to place it on prime for it to run continuously. Some time it runs great on both cylinder in the prime position and then sometime on only one. Is this causing it to get too much fuel and flooding the cylinder out? I know the previous owner did change this valve, now if he put the right one on or not I do not know. Do you think the valve is my problem, before I replace it, or am I barking up the wrong tree. Any help would be appreciated, I have only pulled the carbs about 10 times and been working on it for over 2 months.

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Ok the only way gas can get to "flood" anything in the engine is through a float valve. So your right carb float valve Is leaking. I your defence I have seen several instances wher some debreis has flwed down the line thats too big to pass through the float valve and can either block it open or shut.

Back flush the fuel line to the tank over a clean piece of paper and see what comes out. I got a nickle that says it'll be a piece of black rubber sheared off the inside of the fuel line by the petcock nipple. and a Hamfist.

FOG

1 - 2 of 2 Posts