Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little spam Here,
I have a design and have built prototypes for a set of Dogbones to raise the rear of the older bikes. Please contact me at my personal Email for more info.

FOG

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
That's great news ;D

What are the difference between 1st and 2nd gen dogbones ?

I'm referring to their shape here.. ;)

Bonus questions :

Does raising the rear add much more weight on your wrists by tilting the rider more forward/more inclined ?

-If so, would adding 1½ inches risers overcome this ?

I've got to sit more upright or else my wrists fatigue way faster than my butt. :-\

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The earlier design had the upper end of the link pivot off a fixed bushing clamped by two ears on the frame. As a result a simple flat bar won't do.
I had to weld a steel bushing across the end of the link plate and machine a precision hole through it for the bearing pin as well as 2 counterbores for the O ring seals. The cost of this link is why K decided to change it.

FOG

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Frog said:
That's great news ;D

What are the difference between 1st and 2nd gen dogbones ?

I'm referring to their shape here.. ;)

Bonus questions :

Does raising the rear add much more weight on your wrists by tilting the rider more forward/more inclined ?

-If so, would adding 1½ inches risers overcome this ?

I've got to sit more upright or else my wrists fatigue way faster than my butt. :-\
New, better springs up front, or spacers (the cheaper way that I did it) will keep the front end from sagging, which to me was as good as raising the front end. It definitely made a difference in that aspect because now with my center stand down both tires nearly touch the ground. My only worry about changing dogbones is that my center stand will be useless, but if I finally get some front and rear stands it won't matter.

Edit: Sometimes my answers aren't so clear. You can easily mod the front end to bring it up if it's really a problem. Just adding spacers made my bike taller up front. You can also lower the forks in the triple tree to gain a slight lift.

FOG said:
A little spam Here,
I have a design and have built prototypes for a set of Dogbones to raise the rear of the older bikes. Please contact me at my personal Email for more info.

FOG
Got a price in mind, or still in the development stages?

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the Price looks like it's going to have to be about $75. +shipping.

FOG

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nick D said:
For the work involved and the fact that nobody else is making them for 1st gens I'd call that a steal.
Yes I'm just trying to help not make any money. I ran a CNC Machine Shop of my own for 20 years and I know how to cost things. In a legitimate shop today the mfg. cost would be $95.00 a set, at 6 or so sets in a batch. Add 100% distributors mark up and you can see that the market is fast disappearing.

My market is Here I make no effort to advertise and I'm only having fun in my backyard shop.

I haven't exactly been flooded with orders , so I going to be on a make to order basis.

FOG

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Would it be possible to see a picture of the product ?

Many thanks :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts