Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up guys! its me again lol. i hope everyone is well! so i bought a ninja thats been sitting for 10 years, starts right up but can only drive it with choke closed about halfway the entire ride home(also drove it to school like that a couple times because my car was down so i cleaned the carbs, changed the spark plugs, oil change, coolant change, new chain, but now i get an erratic idle 1k-1.5k rpms. any suggestions? im texting the spark plug wires next, sounds like a vacuum leak but idk.

·
Registered
37 Posts
whats up guys! its me again lol. i hope everyone is well! so i bought a ninja thats been sitting for 10 years, starts right up but can only drive it with choke closed about halfway the entire ride home(also drove it to school like that a couple times because my car was down so i cleaned the carbs, changed the spark plugs, oil change, coolant change, new chain, but now i get an erratic idle 1k-1.5k rpms. any suggestions? im texting the spark plug wires next, sounds like a vacuum leak but idk.
"...with choke closed about halfway..." You mean the choke is left half open whilst running, with the engine warmed up? That means it's running lean, so I'd start thinking about the carbs, and the pilot (idle) needle. If it's been stood for 10 years, there's probably a lot of gummy petrol clogging up the pilot jets. The Vac pipe on these bikes seldom gives problems, but as you say, it may have cracked due to age. Use a powerful torch to look for probable splits.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
hi, well I would say determine if the engine is actually running off or whether the rev counter is erratic first, you should be able to tell by listening to it. being stood 10 ten years it could literally be anything.
if it's the gauge, then possibly electrical connections on the CDI or coils or even a faulty igniter (cdi) while usually very reliable they have been known to fail. HT cables and caps may also need attention.

however, if the engine is erratic (sounds like it is) then yes as Clive said most likely a fuel/carbs issue but do not rule out any other age-related issues like brittle/cracked rubber work. vacuum leaks. and don't discount the valve clearances you have no idea when they were last done. also keep in mind it was stood for 10 years so probably have no idea why it was parked up so long it could have had a fault to start with. all these possible issues will need investigating.

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,404 Posts
now i get an erratic idle 1k-1.5k rpms.
is choke now fully off? Did you replace all orings, float valves with new? Set fuel levels using clear tube method? Set each pilot screw? Manometer synch carbs? Agree with doing an immediate valve clearance check, too.

Reactions: getterdone

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive done a complete carb kit overhaul everything has been synced all seals and gaskets have been replaced , choke is now fully off when the bike is warm rides good but at idle it misfires a bit then goes 1000rpm to 1500rpm . Back and forth and at a stop everytime . Im considering taking to a shop at this point ;/ ill see about the valve adjustment next sounds like a good place to check and even then its been 10 years this **** needs it lol.

200 Posts

consider a pro refurbed carb set

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check for vacuum leaks, particularly around the boot. I had a vacuum leak from my petcock of all places.

As for ignition.. check coil resistance.. and look inside your spark plug caps for corrosion. Had that once with 2nd cyl spark plug cap on my 500 and recently with 2 and 3 on a Concours I brought back to life. Also make sure they seat tight / pop in. Shouldn't be loose.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for the lag response but i did take it to a shop he cleaned and synced my carbs , still got a misfire and he determined an exhaust leak so i replaced everything with stock because the exhaust was a sirachu or something i forgot the name mybad , anyways on first start with replaced oem exhaust on it , it started smoking where the engine and header meet and smoke coming from the pipe , did i do something wrong ? I have not much motorcyle skills so im lost here .

·
Administrator
16,404 Posts
new copper exhaust gaskets, nuts torqued sufficiently? pilot screws reset after exhaust swap?

Reactions: getterdone

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Sorry for the lag response but i did take it to a shop he cleaned and synced my carbs , still got a misfire and he determined an exhaust leak so i replaced everything with stock because the exhaust was a sirachu or something i forgot the name mybad , anyways on first start with replaced oem exhaust on it , it started smoking where the engine and header meet and smoke coming from the pipe , did i do something wrong ? I have not much motorcyle skills so im lost here .
chances are the pipes (the ones you put on) were contaminated with oil, mucky handprints, penetrating oil, or some other substance. quite normal on first start up. just leave it running until it stops smoking and the pipes get hot. usually it takes a few mins.

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,723 Posts
Both sides of the flanges are the same. It wouldn't matter which one went where, when they are new.
But, they can warp once used. Reversing them at that point would exaggerate the warp. You should be able to tell if they're warped by looking to see if they're seating properly.

I've had to replace my flanges in the past due to over warp.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I see well i should change it for peace of mind they are inexpensive im assuming. I also found out my bike is misfiring due to the jet being changed to a bigger one to compensate for the sirachu exhaust but since i changed to oem exhaust im assuming the mechanic needs to change it back ? Or can he just retune my carb with the oem exhaust and the bigger jet ? Im mot sure if ge changed the main het or pilot jet and im not sure which one does what?

·
Administrator
16,404 Posts
Doing both valve clearances and carbs.....its never failed me. Were suggested to you in posts #3 and 4.....and suggested yet again right here and now. Correcting long term errors, stuff both done and left undone by prior owners.... is mandatory in arriving at a perfect running EX.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I think you will find it runs better than odd jets. just about all exhausts made to fit the EX500 are done with stock jets and settings in mind. so far on my bikes I have had. complete stock pipes, (with holes in) a full 2 into 1 Motad system. (now on the gen 2). black widow headers, (with stock cans) and black widow headers (with slip on cans) way too loud.
and every combination therein. all run on stock jets and airbox.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
sorry for the lag on this guys so i changed my ignition coils and did a valve adjustment and that got her running smooth ! Thanks so much for your help guys!!
me thinks the valve adjustment probably did more good than the coils. once stock jetting was used.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts