Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with a tire this size for racing? I'd be using the stock front wheel. One of the tire vendors at my track recommended this front tire, but admitted he doesn't know much about the ULW tires.

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
That's all I ever used.

FOG

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, i'll try it.

with the 110 I was using I was drifting a lot last race weekend. I was also using H2's, which I know are not the best race tires. I was also clearly at the limit of the edge of the front tire, and had to save a few low sides with my knee sliders. Maybe the 120 will help with that.

I also have ground clearance issues with the belly pan i'm using. The taller front tire will give me an excuse to raise the rear a little.

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
Well your on the right track to learning how to go fast on a stock EX. The speed lies in using pushing the front and lay off the brakes. That is, learn to delibretally push the front tire going into a turn to get corner speed at a maxmium. This will enable you to pass at will as the others brake to the same speed.

FOG

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to try a front 12/70/17 Bridgestone BT002 and a rear 150/60/17 BT090 (apparentaly that's Bstones "LW" tire). I'll let you all know how it worked.

I'll probably need to mess around with raising the rear end a little bit to compensate for the taller tire, but I don't think this bike seems to sensitive to geometry changes, at least not like the late model MW's / HW's.

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
You ought to have already raised the rear,

FOG

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the bike I have was already set up for racing when I got it. I'm assuming that he did change the geometry already. He put a Fox rear shock on and changed the front springs, along with different weight fork oil up front. The bike feels totally balanced as it is now and flicks into corners easier than any bike i've ever ridden, so I'm guessing that it's been thouroughly monkeyed with.

Now I'm going to go and mess everything up. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can keep your geometry when you change tires.
Just measure diameter of old tires,(mounted and at pressure) then measure new tires(mounted/pressure). Measure circumference and compute diameter. Adjust for any difference by moving forks or rear shock. Remember to divide the diameter difference by 2. That is how much higher or lower your axles will be. Also rear ride height in the shock goes thru the linkage so, if you need to adjust 8mm, dont adjust shock 8mm. FOG or someone may know what the linkage ratio is, I just measure as I adjust mine.

Dan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Total diff in front tire diamter is about 1", which is over 5mm of adjustment needed to compensate if I'm thinking right. I know that when you're talking about bike geometry, that might be a lot depending on the bike. Or maybe not.

With ground clearance issues where it sits already I don't want to raise the forks at all. I can't adjust the rear ride height aparantly with out changing the linkage some how.

Any of you other guys have issues with ground clearance? I have to re-fiberglass my catch pan after every race weekend / track day. it's getting old. plus all the corner workers stare at my bike waiting for something to fly off. plus it upsets the bike a LOT when you go over bumps at full lean and hard stuff starts dragging. thank God for knee pucks.

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
Yeah I got longer fork tubes fro Forking by Frank.

FOG

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used the Bridgestone 120 020 front and a 140/70/17 090 rear and all I can say is that they're are about 100 times better than the H2's I was using. I also went about 3 seconds faster per lap. Im still a newb, but they still felt waaaaaay better. dropped the fork tubes about 5mm and didn't have too many drag issues. also cut off the end of the foot pegs, that helped too.

good racing. a couple first places and 1 second.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This past weekend was my first time racing in 5 weeks (damn NASCAR!) and first time trying out the Dunlop 208's British compound.

Hated them.

Then loved them. Still loving them. Got back into 1:24's on a stock EX! (other than racetech emulators up front and new front brakes).

I was able to go WAY faster than the Pirelli's without getting hairy. They felt less confidence inspiring at lower speeds but when I picked up the pace they handled it in stride. It was also the first time I ever tried the 120 front and I'm a believer now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
TheIglu said:
This past weekend was my first time racing in 5 weeks (damn NASCAR!) and first time trying out the Dunlop 208's British compound.

Hated them.

Then loved them. Still loving them. Got back into 1:24's on a stock EX! (other than racetech emulators up front and new front brakes).

I was able to go WAY faster than the Pirelli's without getting hairy. They felt less confidence inspiring at lower speeds but when I picked up the pace they handled it in stride. It was also the first time I ever tried the 120 front and I'm a believer now.
++1 on the 150-120 combo 208, unreal!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts