Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you replace enough parts of a motorcycle (due to damage or wear), is it still the same motorcycle as at the beginning?
Would it be considered the same bike if only the frame is the original part? Or is it just another bike with the same frame?
At what point does it become a Franken-bike?
At this point, it's easier to list the parts I haven't replaced than the ones I have. Frame and instrument cluster are still original, so there's that.
I refer you to this classic video

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Murphy's Law strikes again! Just a few miles after rolling over 150k, my not-that-old battery goes bad out of nowhere. One day it's fine, then two days later it quits.

Go to ride it to the store, key in, ignition on, hit the starter button and I get one small click and everything goes dark. After a few minutes of poking around, replacing the main fuse just to be safe, testing a spare IC Igniter, etc, I notice my charge light blinks the indication of good static charge with the key off but stops registering anything with the key in the ON position, despite nothing lighting up and nothing happening. Whip out the volt meter, static charge is good at 12.6 volts but drops to an absurd 0.05 under load (key ON). I throw it on the trickle charge just to see what would happen and it flashes the series of lights which indicate a faulty battery.
Damn.

Confident I can get it warrantied at the place I bought it, the thing is only 2.5 years old and has never been anywhere close to being seriously discharged. A little disappointed, my previous battery lasted 7+ years and was only just becoming concerningly weak, though still able to crank over even in cold weather.

The saga continues...

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
It happens sometimes. I had a one year old Connie that had a sudden, total battery failure.

·
Registered
19,321 Posts
Frankly I'm astounded that He managed 50 k or so for each engine. As a rebuilder of engines 25 or so for racers, they came to me with 16 -20 k on them, and all were well worn requiring new bearings and rings. I would never guess that you could ring 50 out of one. I have stated many times on this forum that I considered the life span of this power plant to be no more than 25 K miles. and only then if well looked after.

FOG

Reactions: ridervfr

·
Super Moderator
6,034 Posts
My EX is on it's 4th battery in 14 years. First 2 including the original non-maintenance free went over 5 years. Then the 3rd one only lasted a couple of years.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Frankly I'm astounded that He managed 50 k or so for each engine.

I considered the life span of this power plant to be no more than 25 K miles. and only then if well looked after.
40 k miles on my clock at the moment. Runs very well, not been rebuilt as far as I know.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Frankly I'm astounded that He managed 50 k or so for each engine. As a rebuilder of engines 25 or so for racers, they came to me with 16 -20 k on them, and all were well worn requiring new bearings and rings. I would never guess that you could ring 50 out of one. I have stated many times on this forum that I considered the life span of this power plant to be no more than 25 K miles. and only then if well looked after.

FOG
Mine is just over 71k. No rebuilds. No problems at all really. And I have not babied it. I do always have this feeling I'm riding on borrowed time though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine is just over 71k. No rebuilds. No problems at all really. And I have not babied it. I do always have this feeling I'm riding on borrowed time though.
Keep up the good work! I rolled past 100K on mine last year, with the original engine and no rebuilds, as documented in another post on this site.

·
Registered
22 Posts
at that mileage, any recommendations on oil? I was figuring on using Rotella, as I do in my KLR.

·
Registered
135 Posts
at that mileage, any recommendations on oil? I was figuring on using Rotella, as I do in my KLR.
Yes, I read your post about passing 100k. Congrats to you too!
I confess that I use regular ol' shell rotella 15w40 nonsythetic which I get at around $14 a gallon. I change the oil every 4 to 5 k, unless I am doing a lot of low speed drills (which I am lately, with all the empty parking lot options), and then I do it around 3 to 4k.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Rotella 15w40 is what I've been using for a while and it suits the engine just fine.

I got a replacement battery (long story short, wasn't warrantied) on Saturday and was able to test ride it for about 30 miles and all is well now. Haven't ridden it since Sunday as I just got back from 4 days camping up in the Easter Sierra Nevada's, so we'll see tomorrow how the battery held out for the last 4 days though I don't anticipate any problems.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Impressive amount of miles on original frame/swing arm/etc. I had over 40,000 miles with a blown head gasket and fired in a low mileage engine that I had on hand waiting only to find that I needed to do the head on it also. Long story short, after head was milled down and fresh gaskets etc, I have a happy ending to the story. Essentially, I am starting new with a 800 mile unit.
I learned the hard way to always use new o-rings on the water pipes that go into the head after a valve lash adjustment. I like having an extra engine around as I can source parts off that, like the small o-rings that go on the end of the brazed oil lines in the head, you have to move one to get the feeler gauge in. Anyway, happy safe riding.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Impressive amount of miles on original frame/swing arm/etc. I had over 40,000 miles with a blown head gasket and fired in a low mileage engine that I had on hand waiting only to find that I needed to do the head on it also. Long story short, after head was milled down and fresh gaskets etc, I have a happy ending to the story. Essentially, I am starting new with a 800 mile unit.
I learned the hard way to always use new o-rings on the water pipes that go into the head after a valve lash adjustment. I like having an extra engine around as I can source parts off that, like the small o-rings that go on the end of the brazed oil lines in the head, you have to move one to get the feeler gauge in. Anyway, happy safe riding.
I must say, having piles (not so much piles as well organized bins) of spare parts is fantastic. Unlike you, I have not one but at least 10 spare engines to rob parts from. Then there's the bins of engine parts, chassis parts, suspension parts, well you get the idea.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I a fun twist of fate, I found myself at the very garage I first spotted this motorcycle at 10 years ago and the 10 year anniversary of it being given to me is less than 2 months away. The house still belongs to the father of the friend of originally owned the bike. The friend wasn't there, but his younger brother as well as his dad were and recognized it after a bit of pause. Just a neat thing that happened 3 days ago.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I a fun twist of fate, I found myself at the very garage I first spotted this motorcycle at 10 years ago and the 10 year anniversary of it being given to me is less than 2 months away. The house still belongs to the father of the friend of originally owned the bike. The friend wasn't there, but his younger brother as well as his dad were and recognized it after a bit of pause. Just a neat thing that happened 3 days ago.
I could store 10 of these engines but it would be pushing the limits of capacity. There used to be salvage yards I went to back in the day that would not have had 10 of these on hand! I was given a complete same year EX five years ago. It had no paper work but was the same colour, year etc. It had a leaking water pump cover and I just stored it in the back of my garage. I would not have thought after rebuilding the H20 pump that I would have had to do the head on a 800 mile bike. I left my old speedometer too, bike ages ok for what it is. I ended up using the wiring harness, cdi, ignition, etc on my original bike. I bought this 04 in 07 with 1500 miles for $1500, I remember it was raining during my initial test ride and I had one of my good leather jackets on and did'nt care. Memories are cool - Peace - Picture below was taken during the last hurricane where I had to empty out my garage to install my shutters, the donor bike can be seen way, way back.
I must say, having piles (not so much piles as well organized bins) of spare parts is fantastic. Unlike you, I have not one but at least 10 spare engines to rob parts from. Then there's the bins of engine parts, chassis parts, suspension parts, well you get the idea.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts