Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to know when you install a 150 rear tire on a stock rim, does the tire profile change alot.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Sure but so what , you still get a larger footprint , and that's what your after , right?

FOG

·
Registered
114 Posts
Fog, besides the bigger footprint, it will change the tendancy for the bike to want to turn in?

Are any modifications needed to make this new width work? I really like the pilot roads and the 150s are the smallest I could get.

Thanks Fog,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK little back ground on my mods. About 9 years ago I installed a Honda F2 rear rim and installed a 150 rear tire. I have ran Michelin race and Pirelli Corsa on the bike and I am able to use the entire width of the rear tire and I am used to the particular feel of the bike. Lately I have been reading allot of riders are installing 150 size on stock rims and was wondering of the riding characteristics of the tire being squeezed a bit. The only reason I am asking is that the F2 rim is heavier than the stock rim. But if it is not worth it, I will keep my F2 rim instead.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
HooliganD said:
Fog, besides the bigger footprint, it will change the tendancy for the bike to want to turn in?

Are any modifications needed to make this new width work? I really like the pilot roads and the 150s are the smallest I could get.

Thanks Fog,
No modification necessary. It will make it lean quicker, and that's not always a bad thing...!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sold...now do you think my shop/kawi dealer will have a problem mounting a bigger then stock size tire on the bike? I shall ask next time i'm there.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
HooliganD said:
Sold...now do you think my shop/kawi dealer will have a problem mounting a bigger then stock size tire on the bike? I shall ask next time i'm there.
maybe, maybe not... mine didn't but my kawi dealer isn't your kawi dealer so......

·
Registered
200 Posts
I ran into most of the dealers around me wouldn't install the tires on my bike front or back if I didn't order the tires through them

·
Registered
192 Posts
does the wheel need to be slid back a bit on the swingarm to keep the edges from hitting the arch at the front?

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
HooliganD said:

Thanks Fog,
Yes it will slow the entire responce of the bike to any input. IE: you'll need to work harder for the same result. But higher results are available. Raising the rear can compensat somewhat for the slowed turning.

FOG

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
If you change to a 2nd gen bike, you'll need t change your rear drum brake for a disc ..

I've got 130 on my 1st gen, it's plenty for me, but it looks like there is some clearance left :)

J

·
0 Posts
so you can with no problem put a 150/60-17 size rear on an 06 500R without changing anything? I'm looking for some good track day tires and all the really good tires don't come in the stock 130/70-17. I just want to know if it is possible...thanks.

J

·
0 Posts
okay cool that is awesome...now to decide which tires. Does any 17-inch rim work (rear)or does it have to be a certain width 17-inch rim? I feel that these questions are stupid but i'm new...so, sorry.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts