Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have and opportunity to grab a in good physical condition probably running 85' 600. Should I? Cost is next to nothing so that's not a factor. Is it comparable to my 95 ex? I've only ever owned this 500 and a Yamaha Excited so I don't know much about different models. I've rode lots of bikes though.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Yes, it is comparable to the EX- a little more power, but also more weight. The 85-87 600's weren't all that inspiring handling or motor wise. And with 16 wheels front and back it will make finding tires tough. But if you have the space to store it, the time and money for upkeep, why the hell not? Just don't expect it to be much, if any, of an upgrade over the EX

·
Super Moderator
15,149 Posts
@willi777 good input.....as such I'd avoid pouring $$ on mods or upgrades. Prior to purchase consider also any major $$$ to get it running/operational.

"Date" the tires on it...over 5 year old will require replace, add to your considerations.

Running or not? When was it last running? Rust in tank? Carbs need "attention"? Any funky engine "noises"? Charging system operational? Chain/sprockets condition? Battery? Brakes functional?

All considerations before taking the dive. What appears a bargain may be costly to return to roadworthy....inspect the bike carefully and do your homework prior to purchase. Know any needed investments are acceptable to you PRIOR.

·
Super Moderator
6,309 Posts
I wonder how hard it is to get parts for it.

·
Super Moderator
15,149 Posts
I wonder how hard it is to get parts for it.
Could be tricky, I'm not even seeing a year/model listing on Ronayers.

Another very valid consideration.

·
Premium Member
3,767 Posts
I say, run away! It's not special or desirable. it's 35 years old, with all the certain headaches that brings. Even if you got it for free, you could quickly be upside down in it. There are myriad other bikes you could get for cheap that would much better warrant you spending all your spare time and cash on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts