Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Border Kong
962 Posts
Some members has changed the head steering bearings for tapered rollers. As per their reviews seems to perform better than ball bearing ones.

Rim Font Auto part Circle Metal

Reactions: yorkie

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
this is true, if you do change them to taper bearings check the sizes when fitting, the btm race is bigger in the kits the difference between top and btm is obvious in some kits, but not all it's easy to get the races the wrong way round on some kits as they look identical but are not, measure the diameter of the inside race the btm one is wider. by around a few thou get it wrong and it will not drive over the steering stem should be a interference fit with minimal force.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Some members has changed the head steering bearings for tapered rollers. As per their reviews seems to perform better than ball bearing ones.

View attachment 56221
Well darn. I already ordered replacements. It looked lime second gen had these. I feel too impatient to change. Bearings due in tomorrow and by all indications the bike is finally running right.

So at some point a dirt dobber made a mud home in my tank vent tube. I cleaned it out as best I could with a long piece of 12ga wire and brake clean. I think it was starving the bike of fuel after it warmed up. I also replaced the questionable coils I bought with oem ones. I dont think they were providing good spark. Most importantly I sent a set of carbs off to ducatiman. Everyone said he was good... I expected good... What I got was way better than new from the factory. The inline filter... He greased the little screw on the idle adjust ffs. And such fast tun around. I see now why everyone who talks about his work sounds like they are in a commercial. Myself included.

So all that to say... I am anxious to ride some more so Ill probably throw those bearings in and roll.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Am I gonna have to cut this race off?
there is no race at the top, the outer race (bottom of the top race) is in the frame head stock.
the inner (top of the top race) is like thick flat washer with a groove in it.
balls go in btm set (greased) then the shaft is entered in the frame and held in place while the balls (greased) are put in the bottom of the top race. (in the frame) then the inner top race (the washer with the groove in) placed on top for the balls to run in. then the spacer and finally the nut, all in one operation. Yes it's a PITA and fiddly that's why converting to taper bearings makes more sense.

Slope Font Circle Auto part Parallel

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
there is no race at the top, the outer race (bottom of the top race) is in the frame head stock.
the inner (top of the top race) is like thick flat washer with a groove in it.
balls go in btm set (greased) then the shaft is entered in the frame and held in place while the balls (greased) are put in the bottom of the top race. (in the frame) then the inner top race (the washer with the groove in) placed on top for the balls to run in. then the spacer and finally the nut, all in one operation. Yes it's a PITA and fiddly that's why converting to taper bearings makes more sense.

View attachment 56229
Thanks... I meant the top of the bottom triple flares so I cannot get the bottom race off without cutting it it looks like. This is what I ordered. And this is what im talking about

Attachments

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
no it shouldn't need cutting if the race has to go over the threads it will fit remember when I said the btm race was wider well that's why just drift it off the shaft and slide it out (it will trust me) oh and BTW in the second screen shot the one on the right is the btm one. it's thicker and has a deeper dished dust seal. it will also be a few thou wider than the top one, so will be wider than the slight flare on the top.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
no it shouldn't need cutting if the race has to go over the threads it will fit remember when I said the btm race was wider well that's why just drift it off the shaft and slide it out (it will trust me) oh and BTW in the second screen shot the one on the right is the btm one. it's thicker and has a deeper dished dust seal. it will also be a few thou wider than the top one, so will be wider than the slight flare on the top.
Thanks again.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts