Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I acquired a 1989 EX500 with 12,406 miles on it. In order to start it when it's cold, I have to give it a shot of starting fluid but after that it fires right up and runs well? I'm not really a fan of starting fluid so how can I resolve this issue?
Thanks for any help I can get!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sounds like the carbs need a good cleaning. Did it sit for a while before you got it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. Also, what about the valves? I see some things on here about "clearance". Is this the same thing as valve lash and if so, what do I set them at?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I believe the spec for 1st gens are intake valves between .005-.007 and exhaust valves between .007- .009 inches with the cylinders at top dead center. I believe the intervals for the valve adjustment is 7500 miles? This is just stuff I looked up, not sure. I have a gen2 so not sure if it differs.

·
Super Moderator
14,782 Posts
suggest targeting .006" on intake and .009" on exhaust Gen 1 valve check interval 6000, Gen 2 7500 mile.

You are working without service manual access? tsk tsk.

·
Registered
22 Posts
suggest targeting .006" on intake and .009" on exhaust Gen 1 valve check interval 6000, Gen 2 7500 mile.

You are working without service manual access? tsk tsk.
I'm still waiting for my manual to show up in the mail. You'd be surprised how much info can be found in the meantime if you know how to search. Got my bike basically rebuilt and modified in a few days. The finer maintenance stuff will be done when I hit the mileage and will have my manual by then. Just turned over the 5k mile mark today so I have a ways to go before the valve adjustment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will do. I was going to split the difference and use .006in, .008ex but will go to .009 on the exhaust.
No, I do not have a manual, thats why I resorted to this forum, and it has been very Informative thus far.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
As mentioned, the valve clearances for these engines is .005-.007" on the intakes and .007-.009" on the exhaust valves. Also as mentioned, the preferred clearance settings is .006" for the intake and .009" for the exhaust due to the exhaust valves having a tendency to tighten up much quicker than the intakes.

Not sure why the manual has different service intervals between the generations as they are mechanically identical on the top end. Go with 7500 for the first interval, after that, if you set the exhausts loose at .009", 10,000 is acceptable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts