Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help!!

I have a 1992 Ex500 that was running great until the magnets on the flywheel decided they would be better off the flywheel...old problem from what I hear. I am trying to remove the flywheel center bolt but I am unsure as to the best way to do this and do not want to damage the crank or anything else.....also is the bolt a left or right handed thread? Is there a way to lock the flywheel to keep it from turning when I try to turn the bolt....so far it is not budging......

Thanks!!

·
Registered
19,841 Posts
Re: 19992 ex500 Flywheel Removal

Thats a left hand bolt.

What you'll need then is an 18mm right hand bolt to use as a wheel puller (pushes off the wheel from the crank end)

FOG

·
Registered
19,841 Posts
The holes in the rim were there for a spanner find/make a srort piece of metal or strong wood that will jam between one of those holes and the cases .

FOG

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
I used a long screwdriver that wasnt important to me, maybe someone should make a spanner wrench for this purpose so we can circulate it as needed....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any idea where I can find a good 2nd generation flywheel? They seem to be few or far between and I saw FOG wrote a guide on how to mod one..seems stupidly easy to accomplish...I live near Tampa, FL you would think there might be a few bike bone yards around here but they are hard to find...so no luck finding a flywheel yet.....

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Since you're near tampa, hit me up if you need help bro. I'm near the area. also check out a place called A tampa Chop Shop. Dominic usually has all sorts of EX parts on hand.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bob, I might do that.....I tried looking for the Chop shop couldn't find a number though.....also....I finally got the bolt out, thanks for the tips on that.....for the removal....there are no holes to thread a bolt into....am i missing something here? attached is a picture...

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
see the center of your flywheel? right where the bolt you just took out was? the flywheel itself has threads right there for the removal device.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow.....I kinda feel like a tool now.....lol I didn't even think of that... I'll have to go look for that bolt now......I am repainting this bike as well, got it from a friend that had bad luck with the ground so I have to strip and sand the body parts......always learning something new....It's good for riding to MacDill everyday....:)

·
Registered
19,841 Posts
If you can't find a Flywheel right away .You can run a total loss system. Leave the old flywheel in place . Just chop out the odd magnet to achieve balance. Even 2 magnets on opposite sides will make some power. but even with none you can use the bike on the battery alone. Be sure to un plug the headlight. Fully charged battery with only 1 start will run the bike with out the headlight for 4 -5 hours.

FOG

·
Registered
11,739 Posts
I've bought from them before (Tampa chop shop). They're all right in my book.

I no longer need a flywheel. I found a newer generation one from a private parts seller in Tampa. I'm removing my old one after I ride today and bringing both to a machine shop tomorrow morning so a pro can do the grinding work for me as per my brother (ducatiman's) recomendation- he knows ill probably screw it up LOL. I am plenty capable of doing it myself but I would rather pay someone who has the right tools and equipment to do it to perfection. I'm a great electrician but not that good as a metal grinder. I may even have him reinforce the starter gear since I'm in there. I am just not sure if there is sufficient clearance for a weld bead. In other words it may be easier to just let the gear break naturally and replace it if and when that occurs. I am assuming that the starter gear typically breaks when the bike is in bad tuning and the starter is forced and the operator beats the hell out of the starter (which I don't and my bike is always tuned well and starts at the touch of the start button).

Anyway I'm excited to get rid of the epoxied magnet old style flywheel that I have now. Mine happens to be in excellent shape though so I should be able to get my last ride with that flywheel in this morning (cross my fingers). I'm keeping my ex500 forever. I may get another one but I could never sell my 93. I am slightly fanatical about the mechanics of mine. I have the money, the time, and the desire to keep everything in tip top shape mechanically.

·
Administrator
15,716 Posts
....and a brother who flies down every year and keeps it that way ::)

sorry, couldn't resist ;D

·
Registered
11,739 Posts
Back to the OP; strap wrench at sears- $12.99, flywheel puller (18 X 1.5mm)- $6 online threads right in there just right. The strap wrench (nice rubber strap) is the correct way to hold the flywheel still as per the clymer manual. I damaged one on a scooter by trying to pry it as some of the previous advice on this thread states. If you put the bike in gear, the clutch may end up slipping. The right tool for the job, always!!

·
Administrator
15,716 Posts
put bike in gear ALSO have *assistant hold foot aggressively on rear brake. learned that one from the old Englishman who taught me a LOT back in the day.

*the assistant must be female, *topless* , 20-25 YO, blond, Swedish, and an excellent "masseuse" for this to work at all ::)

OTOH....i suppose you could just use the strap wrench ;D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts