Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts
G

·
i see referenced for flywheel puller 18mm x1.25 and 18mmx1.5... I cant find the one i had so need to buy a new one tomorrow... so which is it?

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
soybean311 said:
18mm x 1.5
its just a bolt. go to a hardware store.
FloridaEX500 said:
I've bought from them before (Tampa chop shop). They're all right in my book.

I no longer need a flywheel. I found a newer generation one from a private parts seller in Tampa. I'm removing my old one after I ride today and bringing both to a machine shop tomorrow morning so a pro can do the grinding work for me as per my brother (ducatiman's) recomendation- he knows ill probably screw it up LOL. I am plenty capable of doing it myself but I would rather pay someone who has the right tools and equipment to do it to perfection. I'm a great electrician but not that good as a metal grinder. I may even have him reinforce the starter gear since I'm in there. I am just not sure if there is sufficient clearance for a weld bead. In other words it may be easier to just let the gear break naturally and replace it if and when that occurs.
I am fairly sure this is scheduled to break shortly after you get the cover back on from the flywheel change ;D ;D

·
Registered
11,739 Posts
Geez that thread was a couple of years ago. Where the heck did you even find this? And no I never did anything with the starter gear and have since sold that bike. And the GF is long gone too. Maybe I should erase that post. That would get me in trouble with the wife I'm sure although she knew about the girl working for me for a couple of years. I'm still fixing that problem up to this day.

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
FloridaEX500 said:
Geez that thread was a couple of years ago. Where the heck did you even find this? And no I never did anything with the starter gear and have since sold that bike. And the GF is long gone too. Maybe I should erase that post. That would get me in trouble with the wife I'm sure although she knew about the girl working for me for a couple of years. I'm still fixing that problem up to this day.

ha ha...sorry...i like to read old threads...never know what you will learn...just forgot i was so far back...lol

·
Registered
11,739 Posts
The first time I did a fw converswion I brought it to someone to do the grinding. The 2nd time I grinded myself in about 5 minutes. The third time I did myself also. Good memories. I didn't realize I've been putzing around this forum for so long.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ok guys so i had this same problem and ive since ordered a new flywheel and its on its way but im having trouble getting the thing off! i used a strap wrench and got the center bolt off but how does the whole thing actually come off?? is it just pressed on and if so would a 3jaw puller work to get it off or are there any tricks to safely get it off??

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m having issues pulling the flywheel and was hoping to get some tips on removal without damaging anything.
I removed the flywheel bolt and bought an 18mm plug chaser. Fits right in!

I held the flywheel with strap wrench and got the bolt to bottom out but can’t get the flywheel to budge much. I saw it come forward about a cm and no matter how much force I use I can’t the flywheel to move further. Maybe I need to hit the gym?

·
Registered
19,841 Posts
Find a bolt of a certain legnth to prop into the hole in the wheel to a strong point of the casing. then screw in you puller )bolt_ till it makes solid contact with the end of the crankshaft then stick it a blow with a heavy hammer/ kind of a strong bump . it should break the taper lock and fall off/
Tip a spark plug rethreaded tool from an AUTO STORE WILL HAVE THE 18 MM THERAD YOU NEED for a few dollars

FOG

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m having issues pulling the flywheel and was hoping to get some tips on removal without damaging anything.
I removed the flywheel bolt and bought an 18mm plug chaser. Fits right in!

I held the flywheel with strap wrench and got the bolt to bottom out but can’t get the flywheel to budge much. I saw it come forward about a cm and no matter how much force I use I can’t the flywheel to move further. Maybe I need to hit the gym?
Update: I was able to get it off def need a gym membership 😂

·
Registered
7 Posts
Find a bolt of a certain legnth to prop into the hole in the wheel to a strong point of the casing. then screw in you puller )bolt_ till it makes solid contact with the end of the crankshaft then stick it a blow with a heavy hammer/ kind of a strong bump . it should break the taper lock and fall off/
Tip a spark plug rethreaded tool from an AUTO STORE WILL HAVE THE 18 MM THERAD YOU NEED for a few dollars

FOG
FOG it is an honor to have you reply! I’m actually in the process of trouble shooting my starter clutch assembly based off your replies to other threads. The issue I’m having is my starter works fine and is able to spin the gear but the flywheel doesn’t move. I read your previous posts about the welds breaking and some other stuff about magnets. I removed the flywheel just now to take a look and found that one of the three small bolts that holds the starter clutch to the flywheel was broken. Upon removing the flywheel the broken bolt head fell out along with another small metal cylinder component that is located in the starter clutch fell out as well. Could the broken bolt be cause the flywheel to spin and not catch? I’m a total newbie when it comes wrenching so I’m not sure what I’m looking for. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
19,841 Posts
Replace the broken bolts ,but your problem is the weld of the starter sprocket to the hub is broken ,take it to a welder and have it re welded all the way round

Fog

21 - 40 of 45 Posts