Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a Wiki article on this it was added way after I ever done anything related to this part of my bike, I have a 1987-2002 Clymer reference manual. It has like 3 paragraphs on the CCT, I was under the assumption that I had a 2nd gen CCT due to it being same as many pics on eBay and other places only depicted the 1st gen as being manual adjusting. And there was no reference at all to the 2nd gen one in the Clymers <SMH>

Wiki here >> http://www.ex-500.com/wiki/index.php?title=1st_Gen_CCT_Replacement





This is what I seen most of as a replacement for the 1st Gen ex500 no reason to do this that I know of.



I made my own Gasket



Listen to the engine in this video tell me if you hear it. I know Fog and several the other that got an ear tuned to this can hear it


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHzqTqN7ZII


Then listen to this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K72klO2MAdE&feature=youtu.be

1st Gen CCT taken apart.[/color]





Spring that holds the tension rod "screwed" out to hold tension on the cam chain[/color]





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,245 Posts
Listen folks. See that puny little spring in the cct? Do you really think that is the tension on the cam chain?. All that spring does is advance the plunger of the CCT into the chain slack.

There is no tension on the chain there is not a cam chain Tensioner. it is only a slack taker upper. The same as the main drive chain has a 1 1/2" or more slack the cam chain does too Albeit a smaller amount.
If you buy a manual adjuster please resist the temptation to over tighten it , this can destroy your whole engine. (The chain will be fine).

The reason the 1st gen part is no good ,is it often fail to hold at all allowing full slack and tooth skipping.

FOG
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeppers...

When there is slack it will move to the next ratchet "lock" mine had something going on weird and could not see it in the video but it actually would depress a few of them "clicks" instead of holding steady. It allowed the slack to be greater in my engine which is heard on the first video and barely. The 2nd Gen one was firm solid lock and seemed to have a tighter spring IMO when comparing them with both ratchet apparatuses released to allow them to slide freely but only slightly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,245 Posts
The 1st gen had a coil spring wrapped around the shaft the was suppose to grip the shaft and only allow forward movement, when pushed by the light spring. but when pushed in reverse by the chain, it was supposed to grip the shaft tightly. This was predicated on a bit of friction as well as spring grip. A poor design rectified by K ,but not soon enough.

FOG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,503 Posts
I uploaded those pics to the Wiki. Since the thumbnails are currently broken, I left the existing linked images there too (cleaned up the extra junk around the URLs).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,245 Posts
Problem with the 1st gen pics is you haven actually shown the locking mechanism. the larger spring up inside the body that grips the plunger rod.

FOG
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
InvisiBill said:
I uploaded those pics to the Wiki. Since the thumbnails are currently broken, I left the existing linked images there too (cleaned up the extra junk around the URLs).
Thanks yeah was weird one link became 2 instead of the one.

FOG said:
Problem with the 1st gen pics is you haven actually shown the locking mechanism. the larger spring up inside the body that grips the plunger rod.

FOG
I did not even try to take the 1st gen cct apart, I just took the 2nd gen one apart to stick it in the bike, figured it made a good time to take pics. when I seen there was indeed a wiki on it it made good that it had O-ring rather than the flat fiber gaskets, it is junk none the less. I still got it could take it apart yet, will be this coming weekend though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,245 Posts
The point of my comment was there was no demo of why the 1st gens were bad. Might be a good Idea to splain.

FOG
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I added pics of the first Gen CCT taken apart, I think from the way it look like the spring could come out of the lil hole on the side, or break off away from that hole? Either way it is very lightweight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
phrodite you genius that video was a relevation why I only watched it tonight I don't know..... it was the duc man talking about valves and had to check info on the adjustment my engine sounds the same as your did and has done since October when I bought the bike [ I could never pinpoint the rattle so had it down to a 2 into 1 micron loose bolt or pair system } 2 days faultfinding all the ignition and start system cost of 1 set of pickup coils 1 ignitor used from ebay ...... that teaches me for being a idiot and not doing my homework so tomorrow valve adjustment and il get the cct :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,699 Posts
Re: Re: Re: 1st and 2nd Gen CCT

Aphrodite said:
I added pics of the first Gen CCT taken apart, I think from the way it look like the spring could come out of the lil hole on the side, or break off away from that hole? Either way it is very lightweight.
I never properly thank you for the photos you added to my CCT guide, thank you Brandi
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Re: Re: 1st and 2nd Gen CCT

Ghostt said:
Aphrodite said:
I added pics of the first Gen CCT taken apart, I think from the way it look like the spring could come out of the lil hole on the side, or break off away from that hole? Either way it is very lightweight.
I never properly thank you for the photos you added to my CCT guide, thank you Brandi
Your welcome :) Just trying to help in what ever way I can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,699 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 1st and 2nd Gen CCT

Aphrodite said:
Ghostt said:
Aphrodite said:
I added pics of the first Gen CCT taken apart, I think from the way it look like the spring could come out of the lil hole on the side, or break off away from that hole? Either way it is very lightweight.
I never properly thank you for the photos you added to my CCT guide, thank you Brandi
Your welcome :) Just trying to help in what ever way I can.
I'm glad you're back
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
well I hope that tomorrow when I open up the engine its not too bad kinda had a feeling it was the timing but its a automatic system and parts u cant check without a new one .. only took 10 mths to find the fault
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top